[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>with the amount of hours you spend drawing you could have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
>with the amount of hours you spend drawing you could have learnt programming, saved for 10 years in high-power tech position, and retired and drawed forever, son.

What do I respond to my parents? I'm 26, I failed to have a real career but I love to draw. I have no intention of making money from art.
>>
>>2417227
26 Is still old enough to learn how to program, do online courses and contiunue to draw on the sideline
>>
>"but mom I want to live with you forever."
is my response.
>>
>>2417244

she would literally, die. They don't really act like, and I'm not, I'm putting them out or feel guilty for living at home, but their crushing disappointment in my inability to, in their mind, fully enter adulthood by buying a house, getting married, having children, entering management, tears them to shred emotionally.

You should have seen the look in their faces after I told them I had been invited to a New Years Eve party last year because they were so happy I was putting myself out there. I gave them that little gift and just walked downtown to kill time for 3 hours. She made me a great breakfast the next morning and smiled like I'd never seen before. Feels bad, man.

>>2417235

I don't really have any interest or particular aptitude, but I do feel bad for having a nonlucrative hobby.
>>
>>2417264

fuck that hit me pretty bad, reminds me of myself from before so much. back then whenever i told someone something my heart would assume its a lie i was telling, especially if i was telling the truth. i balanced things out you will too anon, make it through for her. she loves you so much. i envy you for that. please make her proud
>>
>>2417227
>programming
>high power tech position
>>
>>2417227
>I dunno dad, why didn't you study medicine instead of administration?
>I wasn't cut for it.
>I see...
>>
>>2417227
Someone with no real interest in programming won't get a 'high-power tech position'. I understand that the job prospects are good, but it still highly competetive. You can't just learn it half-assed with no interest and passion and expect to get as good and successful as the geeks who started programming as a kid for fun and who are constantly looking to innovate and dabbling into all kinds of languages and projects just out of sheer curiousity.

Starting to learn programming with 26 is no problem, but doing it just for the money will get you a mediocre, decent paying job at best and never a high paying position you can retire after 10 years. That's delusional and insulting to the people who are actually successful in that field.
>>
>>2417264
art is a very lucrative hobby. You're just not ambitious or good at it, or both. Artists make more money than programmers.
>>
File: drawsketch.jpg (1 MB, 2550x3300) Image search: [Google]
drawsketch.jpg
1 MB, 2550x3300
>>2417227
>>2417227
m 26 too op and i feel like im really starting to have success mainly because i have now really started to become Ace with the foundational stuff. Im not really even looking for work and i have clients both galleries and individuals contacting me and wanting to work with me.

26 isn't too old im 26... and i don't know if ill ever make enough to live completey off of but i found a sort of beauty in the struggle to get where i am at right now. Working 40+hours a week doing a physically demanding job that really isn't worthy of my talents has made me contineually push myself and i feel i wouldn't have got so good if say i was rich and had all the time to get to it...

sometimes limited time is better because than you really focus and buckle down good luck to you op. getting old is scary for everyone but remember that most trully great men don't become who they are know for until a later stage in life anyways.
>>
>>2417264
My dad was like that a lot, he always complained about how hard and demanding his job was and how he wished he could spend more time at home with us, but also complained relentlessly about how I wasn't an adult because I didn't have a soul-crushing, health-deteriorating job like him.

He finally shut up when I came home witth 32 stitches and his paid off mortage.

I'm happy being a fisherman and an artist, and I make more money in six months at sea than he makes in three years in his shitty office where nobody respects him. I'll never undertand these stupid ritualized life-frames people insist on living.
>>
Being able to draw >>> programming skills.

Seriously STEM is a big meme. I rather be able to create art that might make some people happy than be a replacable, insignificant STEMdrone.
>>
>>2417312
That is something to really think about maybe the smartest people actually are artist because they choose to do something they love vs money. They learned early that money isn't everything.

My friend is about to finish his Electrical Engineering degree and is going to be making some serrious cash as soon as he gets out of school.

But everypost he makes and every conversation is about how boring his work is and how much he hates it. where is artist post are about passion and love.

I think there are some people who do generally like engineering but a lot of people get into it through parental pressure, society and the lure of lucrative career but wind up hating it.

A lot of the managers at my work are Ex-Aerospace industry guys now they just Manage warehouse workers why>? because it's more enjoyable and the pay is about the same.
>>
>Relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyD1vRidhyc&ebc=ANyPxKp_yrL1OC3HJAA5RAXQKOhDGjsopUuR5EBX9INE2EUBQCyUcecal1G5SMae4kMQ-_DTNT1LV__9N2Ur4Xl8a-T-ZN--8A
>>
>>2417360
I only post this because i don't wan't to tell people to just keep trying and believing there is a certain level of intuition that some people have and others just lack no amount of wishing can fix it.
>>
>>2417296
I'm 26 too op, and I feel like I'm really starting to have success, mainly because I've now really started to become ACE with the foundational stuff. I'm not really even looking for work and I have clients, from both galleries and individuals, contacting me and wanting to work with me.

26 isn't too old. I'm 26... and I don't know if I'll ever make enough to completely live off of but I found a sort of beauty in the struggle to get where I am at right now. Working 40+ hours a week doing a physically demanding job that really isn't worthy of my talents has made me continuously push myself, and I feel I wouldn't have gotten so good if... say I was rich and had all the time to get to it...

Sometimes limited time is better because then you are really focused, and buckle down. Good luck you, OP. Getting old is scary for everyone but remember that most truly great men don't become that way through spelling errors.
>>
>>2417360
Ah, so this is the elusive "spark" that everyone keeps talking about.
>>
>>2417360
that was cringey as fuck
>>
>>2417360
my sound is broken, what does it says?
>>
>>2417227
if only it's that easy
>>
>>2417227

they are right.
>>
>>2417294
>Artists make more money than programmers.

top 1% of artists make a little more than the bottom 20% of programmers.

FTFY
>>
File: 1386832896808.jpg (1 MB, 900x783) Image search: [Google]
1386832896808.jpg
1 MB, 900x783
>>2417227
>programming
>my brother learn 'that program' on college
>no one use the program anymore after he graduated
>company has different program on IT
>must spend few years learning new program
>Another NEW program appear after he graduated

yeah whatever
>>
>>2417294

Hi that is not true at all.

>>2417227

OP I'm a semi decent programmer and struggle with that thought.

Programming is not that fun, but with the amount of hours it takes to make it in art I could get a lot more money in programming.

Not only that, but you could hit in big in programming.

Tough choice.
>>
>>2418167

It would take about a month at most to learn another programming language if you know C.

Also, it doesn't really work like that.

In web dev for example most of the stuff is PHP + MySQL. In most business it is either java or .NET.

Also, the thing about programming is if you have a good idea you can make it yourself and earn money.

I do android development and have a few crappy apps that make me $100 a month. If I put more effort you can make it big just need the killer idea.
>>
>>2417264

Is this /r9k/?

This is some sad shit, anon, and I often feel the same way about art. I come from a poor family but I lucked out and went to one of the best schools in the UK, and I could've been filthy rich by now if I'd chosen to pursue the right path as a teenager. Instead I decided I had to be an artist. Here I am at twenty six, and I'm earning from my art, but it's profoundly unreliable, and sometimes I wonder if I could've been a fucking banker or something and have retired within the next five years to spend the rest of my life painting watercolours in my large countryside estate.
>>
File: 1108099254_a7caa399b3_b.jpg (294 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
1108099254_a7caa399b3_b.jpg
294 KB, 768x1024
Anon, tech jobs are about as passion-demanding and creative as art.
If you go into tech you have to keep in mind with people who go home and start working on their home server, people who would take a friend's junk laptop pull it apart for an extra monitor for all the schematics they're working on, people who do this shit as a hobby. You won't win because they enjoy this, and you wouldn't
>>
I do study computer sciences at a German University and drawing is just a hobby right now. I do hope though that I'll be able to use it at a job in a future as addition to programming. Drawing alone doesn't earn you a good living here in most cases.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.