[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is skin so complicated? All of these colors, ochre, red,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: st-thomas.jpg (97 KB, 1070x776) Image search: [Google]
st-thomas.jpg
97 KB, 1070x776
Why is skin so complicated? All of these colors, ochre, red, orange. Like I'm not a beginner artist but it's the hardest thing for me. Worst of all is you never know which to pick when painting skintone from imagination (when the reference is grayscale and such - I don't want all of my work to be just a copy and I don't want it to look like plastic anime figures either). How do you go on about painting something as complicated from a color point of view as skintone? I'm stuck, honestly. Is there a step-by-step method that works well?
>>
>>2413768
just think of it as a low saturated red orange cube as the base.

afterwards just add extra FX like hue variation because skin.

you can add more FX like sub surface scatter.
>>
What fucks me up is the amount of grey and green that appears in light skintones.
>>
>>2413768
it's not. Skin is partly transparent so the colors of the blood and bone beneath show. Then it's just a matter of the light sources in the area shining their colors on it like with everything else.
>>
>>2413768
>Is there a step-by-step method that works well?
no. there are many different skin tones, body fat percentages, lighting conditions, etc to consider. this is real life nigga, not "how to draw manga 4 teenz"

develop your powers of observation

>>2413884
try using a dead layer
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.