[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how do i mix colors to create my gamut palette ? I picked my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 9
File: cc.jpg (132 KB, 697x900) Image search: [Google]
cc.jpg
132 KB, 697x900
how do i mix colors to create my gamut palette ?

I picked my primaries from this gamut mask and mixed them. then i took the 3 mixtures and added tones to them what should i do now ? why is there such a little difference in hue when i mix them ?
how do i create a color i need from mixing it like that ?
>>
>>2411711
come back after you've actually tried using it anon.

How about paint a still life using the colors in the gamut mask? See where that might take you.
>>
>>2411792
i already tried and still don't know how to use it.
>>
>>2411711
gamut is just limiting your color contrast, like how you would use value 2-6 instead of 1-10.
>>
>>2411859
what about any of my actual questions ?
>>
>>2411866
I already answered it.
>>
>>2411868
really ? didn't notice.
>>
>>2411871
you asked why there's little difference in hue when picking from gamuts and I said gamut limits your color contrast, that's all there is to it.
>>
>>2411874
so should i apply bigger mask for more hue variation ?
am i even mixing it the right way ? op picture ?
and how do i go about preparing such a palette to have the colors i want ?
>>
>>2411880
you could still achieve hue variation even with small gamut but the bigger the gamut the greater the contrast of your hue.

I'm not really sure what you're doing in OP pic.

it's better to think in terms of warm and cool and contrast and read.

the easiest way to understand mixing is just drawing a line between both colors you're mixing the colors' path just go from your base color to the color you're adding, some would argue color path has a slight curve but that's semantics.

if you really want to, get a color wheel and I'll teach you how.
>>
>>2411889
but thats what i did i took the base color and made a path from it to other color and it mixed it. then i added black to that mixture to add different tones.

>if you really want to, get a color wheel and I'll teach you how.

im not sure what you want me to do.
>>
File: Color Wheel-SMP.jpg (106 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
Color Wheel-SMP.jpg
106 KB, 1600x1600
>>2411893
nevermind, I found one for you.

first of all, disregard value for now, just think this as hue and chroma. hue obviously circling around and the chroma being weak at center and intense going outside the wheel.

for now I want you to pick any hue with any chroma. do a little dot on the color wheel.
>>
File: 11.jpg (162 KB, 656x900) Image search: [Google]
11.jpg
162 KB, 656x900
>>2411903
ok
>>
>>2411911
now draw a line going to the hue you want your variation to have. you can have more than one, so if you want blue and yellow draw a line towards yellow and blue (outermost of the wheel near the letter)
>>
File: 11.jpg (190 KB, 656x900) Image search: [Google]
11.jpg
190 KB, 656x900
>>2411912
i assumed you wanted me to close the figure.
>>
>>2411918
no, don't close, I'm teaching you how to do hue variation and contrast. you can have more than two you can even have every colors if you so choose.
>>
File: 11.jpg (182 KB, 656x900) Image search: [Google]
11.jpg
182 KB, 656x900
>>2411921
srry
>>
File: 1456241443356.jpg (235 KB, 656x900) Image search: [Google]
1456241443356.jpg
235 KB, 656x900
>>2411923
I meant something like this, lets say you want yellow variation from your base color, then you draw a line towards yellow from your base, and you want green as well so you draw a line from your base to the green. this line is actually the path the color takes when you mix traditional media or when you use mixer brush or even gradual opacity adding.

the next thing I did is to divide it, you can choose any of this points and put it in the base color and it will read to the color it's going to the the further the points you choose from the base gives a higher contrast reading.

what gamut does is limit this contrast so if I ask you to draw a circle around your base color and only choose points that are within the circle, the larger the circle the more contrast you could have.

go try with any color you do choose
>>
File: 1456240929034.jpg (83 KB, 1013x400) Image search: [Google]
1456240929034.jpg
83 KB, 1013x400
I've read a bit on the subject (so that's only my understanding, and is probably wrong, please elaborate, colour-masters) and here's what I think it's supposed to do:
Let's say you're about to draw a picture set in the sunset on a seashore. Which light sources will we have?
1) Sun, bright orange to red
2) Sky, ambient blue to yellow (near the sun) to violet?
Let's set those on the colour circle. (see A). Since there's no more light sources, all the colours appearing on the picture can only be from the figure formed with these three points.
So if we would like to paint a happy little tree living on our seashore it's "natural" colour will be force-shifted into this figure. (B)
If the tree is lit by sun it will be red-orange, and if not, it will only be lit by the ambient dark-blue sky, resulting in a pale cold colour.
>>
File: 111112232323.jpg (294 KB, 656x900) Image search: [Google]
111112232323.jpg
294 KB, 656x900
>>2411932
it starts making some sense now. is there any rule to making those divisions ?

I did choose some more colors as you asked
>>
>>2411942
no there are no rules, the division is just to show you that the further you gone from your base the more contrast it will read. actual hue variations from paintings can range from subtle to very high contrast. also that color wheel is not the best to achieve subtle stuff since it's gradation of chroma is rather abrupt but it's the best I could find.

if you really haven't read a lot about the subject, you can go pick up color course in cgpeers like schoolism, cgma.
>>
>>2411950
ok so now i i could just pick any of those and change its value if needed ? I did read some gurney.
>>
File: download.png (3 KB, 255x198) Image search: [Google]
download.png
3 KB, 255x198
>>2411954
yes but you still have to retain it's chroma, so let's say you have a green with chroma of 20, 1 being grey, 100 being very green, whatever your value is you should use a chroma of 20.

the only problem with this, within a color not all of it's value can achieve specifically high chroma, it depends on the hue that you're using, yellow hue achieve high chroma when at light value etc etc.
>>
>>2411958
aye i get it thanks mate.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.