[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where do I most need improvement? Pic is a bit old (April 2015)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: aleksandra_samusenko.png (478 KB, 1280x1004) Image search: [Google]
aleksandra_samusenko.png
478 KB, 1280x1004
Where do I most need improvement?

Pic is a bit old (April 2015) but it's one of my faves.
>>
loomis
>>
>>Beginner Thread
>>
>>2408651
Well what's the threshold between beginner thread and having own thread?
>>
>>2408653

Agreed. This needs to be established.
>>
Ignore the Loomis idiots, they don't know what advice to give.

You seem to have a good sense for shadows and light, you want to crosshatch and shit like that, but to be able to do that successfully you have to do better construction. Even if you want to make stylized, simplified art, you need a foundation in reality.

Examples: the ellipses on the binoculars are pointed. This kills the sense of roundess. Having proper ellipses makes the forms much more clear.

The hatching you used for shading isn't working because 1) it's too loose 2) it doesn't really follow any forms. Feathering and hatching are hard to pull off because as soon as you ignore the volumes underneath, they flatten everything to shit.

The drawing doesn't have any sense of depth. Again even if you're going for a stylized look, knowing the basics of perspective and knowing that things in the distance have less detail will help you separate foreground from background.

So my advice, aside of drawing a lot and general improvement and practice, is to work on your constuction. You need to spend more time arranging elements on the paper before you start inking. If you find you don't have the patience to do that, practice patience.
>>
>>2408653
>>2408670
You never make your own thread for a critique. There is Beginner thread for beginners and there is Draw thread for the more advanced people.
>>
>>2408682

Well, this is new. :/ I guess I've spent too much time in meatspace for the past few years.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.