[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What makes this painting so powerful? I can't just stop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: 1454259883358.jpg (336 KB, 1200x877) Image search: [Google]
1454259883358.jpg
336 KB, 1200x877
What makes this painting so powerful? I can't just stop being mesmerized by it every time I look at it.
>>
>>2403823
composition
body & facial expressions
implied suicide
tragedy
shadows
reds and various yellow and orange hues
details
personal taste

?
>>
>>2403834
suicide/murder*
>>
>>2403823
It's the carpet.
>>
>>2403839
Same red hue as the blood?
>>
File: oo.jpg (56 KB, 659x659) Image search: [Google]
oo.jpg
56 KB, 659x659
>>2403823
>>
I'd say it's a lot of things. This is something beyond technical skill (not to say that the skill being displayed here is anything but masterful). It's more of the artist's ability to create and conceptualize a scenario that would evoke strong emotion, like a writer. Then, to paint it out of imagination in again the most powerful way possible. The artist knew exactly how to capture the fear and shock of a father who's just killed his son. He tells a story in his scene via the evidence of a fight, the opulent room, and even the scepter has blood on the end (I think).

The composition, of course is important, the warm colors, the poses of father & son.

Idk at least those are my thoughts on that. I like this piece a lot as well. There is actually a story behind it (hence how I know the father killed his son), but I'm too fuckass lazy to link it. Really good painting though. 3/10
>>
>>2403834
>>2403836
Its Ivan the terrible after killing his son in a fit of rage
>>
>>2403856
Gotcha
>>
>>2403840
I was only joking. The most important elements are the composition, the lighting/color choices, the gestures of the characters, and their expressions. Which I suppose is a long winded way of saying a combination of everything.
>>
So I love this painting and have looked at it time and time again. But I just saw something tonight...

What the fuck is this?

I don't know why I thought this thing was a mirror. But now I'm not sure. Might be a window. If so, what in HELL is that thing looking through?
>>
>>2403971
It's a little shelf indented into the wall. Looks like there are some small vases/vials on it.
>>
>>2403971
It's another portal to John Malchovich's mind, only accessible through the original of this painting...
>>
File: welcum ta hel.jpg (217 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
welcum ta hel.jpg
217 KB, 1920x1080
>>2403971
IT TEH DEVIL
>>
I think it's mostly the composition, like it's a zigzag of reflecting triangles, and when you're done looking at the father and son the scepter draws you into the background, plus the expression of the old man seems way crazier since he's wearing black, and it's contrasted with the light colours of his sons robes.
>>
>>2403823
The eyes
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.