[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people look for diverse representation in comics and stories?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5
File: 1438251718886.jpg (23 KB, 494x482) Image search: [Google]
1438251718886.jpg
23 KB, 494x482
Why do people look for diverse representation in comics and stories? I have never read anything and thought ''wow this author must fucking hate xxx because the writer never thought of a character with xxx trait!''
>>
>>2399324

It's not about diversity, it's about cultural Maoism.
>>
>>2399324
it's sorta the opposite of what you said: people look for diversity because they think it's interesting to have change. It's not about "This author is racist because there's no blacks," it's more about "Wow this other author including several different races, all with unique traits. It just seems more random and human to have diversity.
>>
Because they're retards.
>>
>>2399324

>I have never read anything and thought ''wow this author must fucking hate xxx because the writer never thought of a character with xxx trait!''

Congratulations on your white penis
>>
>>2399353
so the problem is that the consumer, which doesn't have a white penis, can't relate with the main white penis protagonist

then why don't you, as a consumer, produce your own work to represent you, and stop bitching about not having representation. I assume you also have an important story to tell and/ or from an interesting point of view, since you feel neglected, both your story and/ or point of view since nobody thought of it, right?
>>
>>2399368
>both your story and/ or point of view are interesting since nobody thought of it, right?
and a question mark after the first phrase
>>
>>2399324
all answers itt so far are dumb

It's not about anything except mining status

It's not that people think
>wow this author must fucking hate xxx because the writer never thought of a character with xxx trait!

and it's not about novelty, because if that's what they wanted they could just go read books with that shit, and let the market sort it out, rather than attacking someone's reputation on such flimsy premises.

These people like to attack other people's reputations. They do it by accusing them of something taboo, in this case, racism. This in turn makes the accuser appear virtuous and moral, which they especially enjoy by way of the impossible-to-ignore juxtaposition created between the supposed "racist" and the sjw when the sjw "calls them out"

It's evil bullshit
>>
>>2399324
Because people with inferiority complexes hate their imaginary oppressors.

>>2399328
Not really, because diversity tends to display a politically correct and extremely distorted view of reality.
For example, men make better fighters and soldiers, so when you're pushing for more female warriors, you're not doing it for the sake of realism or equality, but you're pushing an imaginary vision of reality that doesn't exist and never will exist. Men aren't portrayed as better warriors because of sexism, but because they actually are better warriors.
The same goes for diversity in many other occupations, where white, Jewish or Asian men completely dominate, but they decide to use a woman or a black man instead. This has nothing to do with diversity, but is actually both racist and sexist, because it diminshes the effort and legacy of the real people who have worked hard to get to where they are.
If we reverse the situation, it would be like making a movie where half of all rappers and basketball players are Asian.

You also have more extreme examples, such as transsexuals demanding equal representation, despite the fact that they don't even make up a single percent of the population.
>>
>>2399353
Congratulations on your blatant sexism, racism and complete ignorance of the bile and hatred that the diversty crowd spouts.
>>
>>2399324
virtue signalling, pointing it out in other people's works earns you libtard internet points on twitter. Much easier than drawing your own stuff and flourishing as a content creator in your own communities.

>>2399408
kill yourself
>>
>>2399411
>virtue signalling
zero-sum virtue signalling (as opposed to altruistic)

literally non-virtuous virtue signalling

shit bothers me
>>
>>2399324
>Why do people look for diverse representation in comics and stories?
Because 20something white males are no longer the main consumers of entertainment media. Everybody is looking to cash in from multiculturalism and its working better for some than others.
>>
Op here, another thing I'd like to ask is that won't some demographics are likely not to appear due to the nature of the story? like if it was a fantasy story set where technology isn't as advanced, wouldn't it be fine to not have as many races being appearing? especially since travelling in that time period was much harder than it is now.
>>
They don't. It's just a currently fashionable to act like everyone wants more diversity. The reality is if this was true, that there is a giant unsatisfied demand for works with extremely diverse cast, then any one person calling for the change could invest into and make a product like that and make tons of money since supposedly so many people want it and nobody provides it. But they don't. They don't put their money where their mouth is because they know they are wrong. Those few that do, fail because this demand actually doesn't exist.

If there was an issue like this, the free market would take care of it. But there is no issue.
>>
>>2399426
no see this is because oppressed groups are marginalized out of control of capital
t. standard sjw response
>>
File: 1452715827430.gif (2 MB, 245x281) Image search: [Google]
1452715827430.gif
2 MB, 245x281
>>2399324
i always thought that black people would want to see more black people in their comics, muslim people would want to see more muslims in their comics, ect ect..

but 90% of the time i see a post complaining about ethnic diversity, it's a fucking butt-blasted white kid on tumblr.

why????
>>
>>2399500
Because white people
>>
>>2399328
>it's more about "Wow this other author including several different races, all with unique traits. It just seems more random and human to have diversity.

Unfortunately, in practice, diversity more often than not means replacing already established white, male characters. Not adding new ones.

I really don't want to admit it, but /pol/ is right when they say diversity is a code word for anti-white.
>>
File: le feel causing face.jpg (55 KB, 502x510) Image search: [Google]
le feel causing face.jpg
55 KB, 502x510
>>2399500
Most people seem incapable of truly abstract thinking so naturally they're lead around by the nose by people whom are more adept at it.

Diversity pandering is virtue signalling performed by low-information whites
>>
>>2399324
I'm not white, the only time I care about race is when it makes no sence within the story, time and place.

>>
>>2399324
isnt it for projecting?
>>
>>2399368
Because as soon as Blacks start making comics for Blacks and Mexicans make comics for Mexicans and so on and so forth, immediately some asshole with too much time on their hands starts protesting them saying they're being exclusionary. You literally can't win.
>>
>>2399411
>kill yourself
Are you retarded or something?
First you write a post against all the SJW bullshit, then you tell another person who's against SJW bullshit to kill themselves?
>>
>>2399590
Actually, only blacks are the ones constantly bitching about this diversity shit. Mexicans have lots of veteran comic book artists doing their own thing. Asians even have their own industry entiry. Only black people seem to be the ones who need the white man to make comics, tv shows and movies for them.
>>
>>2399642
Don't forget the worst group of all; women.
>>
>>2399642
>>2399648
Fuck both of you. Every fucking time Black people make their own thing little shits like you drop in and ruin it then sit back and say "see? Niggers can't accomplish anything, they're just lazy". I hope both of you fall ass first onto a steaming hot iron rod.
>>
>>2399674
This makes absolutely no sense.
>>
>>2399674
> Every fucking time Black people make their own thing little shits like you drop in and ruin it

Got any example of that? I honestly can't think of anything.
>>
>>2399324
You see this on tumblr more so than anywhere else.
My favourite is being told by one person that I'm racist if I don't draw POC, and then being told by another race that I'm somehow stealing culture if I draw a POC character, or that I'm racist for doing so even if I do my research about the culture the character is from.

Yet they rave about diverse disney characters even though a lot of the time they're designed by white people who, again, do their research to do it in a respectful manner (especially because Disney tries hard to distance themselves from older racist depictions in their older movies like Aristocats and Lady and the Tramp).

Honestly fuck what anyone's opinion on this PC bs is. If you're white and indentify with making white characters, do it. If you're a POC and only want to draw people of your race, go for it. If you're purple and want to draw a diverse cast, do so respectfully but go for it.

Fuck what anyone's going to say unless you're genuinely being offensive.
>>
>>2399424
Technology doesn't have anything to do with race. Location does. If you're writing a story based on a scandinavian fairy tale, set in a predominantly white country, then having characters of any other race would be out of place.

If you're writing a story taking place in Africa however, it'd be acceptable to explore both the black and white people who live there because, little known fact, there's tons of white people in Africa who are born and raised there.

If you have a story taking place in India, it'd be weird to have even a white tourist in the background because most tourists of india are spiritual and wouldn't bedressed up like what you think when you say "tourist." (important distinction in character design).

If you have a story set in America though, depending on the region, it should be diverse but this does depend on locale as well. For instance I grew up in upstate NY. My town is mostly white and yu can go a whole week walking around and not see a person of color. You go to Albany, and you'll see a different story, with more diversity. You go to where I live now, and it's more latino/hispanic than any other POC race, with white people.

The problem is PC people demand that all stories be diverse (Look at the backlash Frozen got from people bitching "It would've been easy to make her black instead why she white."
The story is set and comes from a white country.
>>
>>2399500
Because tumblr is mostly made up of either mentally ill 20 somethings or very young teenagers who don't understand how the world works as well as anything about their actal causes, nor how to properly defend and talk about them.
My rule of thumb, if a POC hasn't spoken out about a supposedly racist issue and only white people have, chances are it's not really that racist.

White people panic and try so hard not to seem bigoted that they end up being even bigger bigots by being "Allies"

Plebcomics has a few good comics that demonstrate what I mean on this.
>>
>>2399674
This doesn't make sense in this context. There's a difference between cultural appropriation (i.e. rap music since if you're in America, you probably don't have any of your african culture left. The culture you have is, in the worst words, slave culture. I'm not saying that's a bad thing at all, there's still something, but too many black people try to make it out like all of their culture is specific to their race, when people in Africa have something much more deep, rich, and spiritual. Black people in america just bitch about their style of music being popular when it was developed in america. Its honestly like bitching about black people eating spagheti because it's an italian dish, do you see why it doesn't quite work in this conversation? It's vastly different from being represented in the media.
>>
File: 1446653358928.jpg (33 KB, 395x398) Image search: [Google]
1446653358928.jpg
33 KB, 395x398
>>2399324
In today's culture, people like to be offended and complain about things that don't actually matter. This is a actually a sign that we are living in a relatively peaceful decade (for those not living in war-torn areas).

Just wait until we get into another big, and I mean big, war or we go into another global depression. Then no one will be giving any of these people their soapboxes, because the public will be focusing on another more demanding, more taxing, bigger issue.

Just food for thought.
>>
It's pretty easy to spot dipshitty pandering as opposed to someone having diversity as a matter of an appropriate or believable course.

All i want is a reason. It's not hard to include diversity, the reason could be as simple as, "hot bitches come in all colors" or, "this guy is black and who gives a shit" but these cats are essentially doing it because colored people are trending right now, and they think that's their way in. Oh, and if course it gives them that tasty moral high ground so they have the official headroom to be complete cunts.

Once the sting of the scarlet "R" losses its potency, people will naturally shy away from obviously manipulating products full of fat multi-colored lesbians, because they will realize these products have no substance, aren't easy to look at, and are boring.
>>
>>2399642
Fuck you. There are tons of black content creators, and most of the bitching comes from white people who get second hand offended about everything.
>>
>>2399324
people want to see people like them in media
media, historically, has been run by and catered to white people, and in recent times especially white males

this is changing and it confuses or frightens people i guess
>>
>>2399722
All these broad generalizations,
>>
>>2399324
I don't really look for someone with the same race as me when I read/watch anything, as I'm pretty much a mongrel. That said, why the fuck are /pol/fags so triggered when non-white characters are added because they can? An author/artist can do whatever the fuck they want without censorship, right? So if there's black people or women, just because and artist feels like he should, why is that suddenly a problem?
>>2399407
>half the basketball players are asian
Ever read Takehiko Inoue's Slam Dunk? It made basketball pretty popular in Japan and some various south east asian countries. So everyone should just do stock characters in stock jobs forever?
>>2399507
Obviously if we go from 100% white males in every movie ever to sharing space with black people, hispanics, asian and women, there's going to be less white people proportionately. There's suck a backlash when white people are left out when for years the big budget movies were all mostly filled with people all the time.
Oh and muslims too :^)
>>2399728
I'm glad you care so much about people living in war torn countries, but for those who don't have to deal with 'big' problems, maybe working on fixing up smaller problems would also still be a plus right? Just because you're not drawing Sonichu, that doesn't mean you can sit on your ass and rest at ease because you have no major
>>2400618
So if a white guy's in a story, that's okay, perfectly fine, no problem but if a non-white man's there, there suddenly a reason needed for it? (and one of your reasons is "there is no reason" so I'm confused here). It sounds like your upset because they're doing it for the wrong reason, not because there's none.

sage because no one really wants to see and SJW reply to everyone in this thread
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.