[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you recall the last time you got a sudden spike in your learning
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5
File: mastery curve.png (10 KB, 567x383) Image search: [Google]
mastery curve.png
10 KB, 567x383
Do you recall the last time you got a sudden spike in your learning curve?

What were you drawing when all of a sudden, you just sudden "got" it? And what aspect was it that suddenly got a lot smoother for you after a long plateau?
>>
Recently, shadow shapes describing the 3rd dimension on smaller forms. I'm a beginner and this shit blew my mind. I went on to start putting shadow onto my form studies and it's a lot more fun now. Especially when the shape pops off the page.
>>
>>2393202

Been struggling with this image for atleast the past 6 months, finally cracked it I think. >>2393300 If I pull off the image to completion it will be a huge step forward for me. Definitely sort of a pinacle piece.
>>
>>2393202
draw a box. making a box out of Ys (3t perspective) blew my mind. makes anatomy a lot lot easier.

>>2393277
pics? i can't quite vision what this is.
>>
>>2393277
Show me pls
>>
>>2393315
I'm currently at work.
I can later. :(
>>
The biggest spike I had was when I started studying anatomy for weight lifting. I went from drawing sub-par anime shit to detailed musculature. I realized then that just drawing alone wasn't enough and I had to study how things are built to really gain an understanding.
>>
Honestly most of my big aha moments come to me when I am studying pretty hard. Not so much when I am going into application. Application is more about solidifying that knowledge for me
>>
>>2393325
Exactly this for me.
I've been working on Loomis almost exclusively and got tired of it after getting to the perspective section.
I still felt like I wasn't really getting 'it' and kept trying to construct from real life. Then, recently, I picked up Bridgmans anatomy book and suddenly everything clicked into place. I'm studying the skull now, and thanks to Loomis I can break it down into simple shapes and build it back up from imagination however I want. And now that I understand how a skull actually looks, drawing the different parts of the face is WAY easier. I guess Loomis actually taught me a lot, but I didn't realize it until I moved out of my comfort zone.
Still don't feel like learning perspective tho...
>>
>>2393346
Just draw a ground pane. lol
>>
>>2393346
a recent evrika moment for me was when I stopped drawing perspective line, and start think in directions like: this object is at the right of the viewer, top. bottom, etc. and horizontal line, vanishing point to add after this step

another one was for foreshortening, instead of starting from one point and going from there, I started putting stuff on imaginative different layers and then connect them, like draw a hand, the torso behind, an elbow somewhere inbetween, and then connect them
>>
File: 1400348589061.jpg (89 KB, 600x375) Image search: [Google]
1400348589061.jpg
89 KB, 600x375
That's a really rubbish graph
This one here shows it alot better
You don't have periods where you lose skill nor periods where you don't gain at all
You're always improving but your eyes are always fluctuating
>>
>>2393500
Very interesting graph. I wonder where you get that. maybe more detailed article?
>>
>>2393528
Sounds like Sycra, or perhaps he got it from there.
>>
>>2393500
I really feel this.

Periods with slow improvement you start to feel like you're getting worse because you'll learn to see more of your mistakes before you learn to fix them. I often go into cycles of confidence and despair when I think about my skill level, but if you were to look at all your work by date you'll see you most likely are always steadily getting better.
>>
File: Untitled-1354.jpg (56 KB, 600x375) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1354.jpg
56 KB, 600x375
>>2393500

more like this
>>
>>2394887
I giggled
>>
an A press is an A press you can't say its only half
>>
I've been in a plateau/slump for the better part of a month. I've been drawing a little over a year so it feels like a substantial chunk. It's a bummer but I'm excited to emerge from it.

I think my last spike was in December when I started transitioning from just greyscale into color.
>>
>>2393277
Dude it is truly baller once you reach this level.
>>
File: 1445490715089.gif (2 MB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
1445490715089.gif
2 MB, 250x188
>>2393500
Man, I really hope this period of frustration should end soon. I was learning the fundamentals, working well with gesture and simple volumes, then came a sudden stop, now my gestures and everything is PRETTY shitty.
>>
>>2395102
Or you just have better eyes right now.
>>
File: 1449407081684.jpg (193 KB, 877x795) Image search: [Google]
1449407081684.jpg
193 KB, 877x795
>>2395106
Thanks for the cheer!
>>
>>2393202
For me it's drawing in perspective.

After the Marshall Vandruff series, I felt like I finally had a good grasp on this subject.

Now I have to put theory to use.
>>
>>2396007
Yo, it's becoming a meme like loomis but drawabox is something you should seriously look into and learn from.
For being a free resource, it's worth it's weight in gold.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.