[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Question Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 53
File: 1454305774720s.jpg (4 KB, 197x250) Image search: [Google]
1454305774720s.jpg
4 KB, 197x250
Ask any questions here, don't make new threads!

Old thread - >>2376558

Pastebin: http://pastebin.com/kVkkdzaX
>>
Anyone have any tips for showing material/ texture at various distances using only pen? Like if I was drawing an old building from far, I wouldn't know how to simplify the brick texture that you would see if you were closer.

Probably worded this shit very poorly. Hopefully it makes a little sense.

pic unrelated
>>
>>2392398
even with pen and ink, you still gotta use atmospheric perspective, so most likely you won't see the texture.

video on textures https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smAJFoedfvE
>>
>>2392369
How long should I spend reading Keys to Drawing? It's been a monthish and I'm on chapter 3, almost 4, and I don't want to spend ages on the book if moving on is better.

Any suggestions would be helpful!
>>
>>2392423
>in todays episode, we learn how to draw cube-o-pubes
>>
What's the best felt tip pen tip size for sketching?
>>
What's the best book/resource for me to study from drawing, IF I dislike both edwards' and dodson's books? I've attempted to search myself, but damn there are so many of these books that would either benefit me, or too early for me to even read one.
>>
>>2392488

0.5? I think that's what most people use.
>>
>>2392519
I think it's the standard.
>>
>>2392519
That's what I heard too.

What about 0.1 ones? Are those too thin?
>>
Recently got second monitor, but boy do I hate the dual monitor setup for some reason. I find it really distracting. Is it something ill get used to eventually, or is it just not for me?
>>
Do I really need all those ellipse and curve tools to work through How to Draw by Scott Robertson, or will freehand pen and paper (and a ruler) work?
>>
File: feb1.jpg (941 KB, 1620x1092) Image search: [Google]
feb1.jpg
941 KB, 1620x1092
how do I get better at using brush pen lads? I guess how should I go about studying line work? I want to do complicated city scapes and stuff with it.
>>
I'm feeling like I'm in a major slump right now. Busy at work, generally fatigued, and getting impatient and pissed off every time I draw. I feel like I should put it down and take a break for a few days to recharge, but I always worry that I'll have a harder time getting back on the saddle if I do.
How long of a break does /ic/ recommend for recharging but not getting too rusty?
>>
I'm new. So sorry about that, because my question could potentially be stupid, but what are people's thoughts on the "intercross" method? I'm in a drawing class right now where the professor is really drilling this into us with using a string for measuring, and frankly I don't get it. I'm trying to wrap my head around the concept, I'm not a very mathematical person so maybe that's why I'm having trouble, I'm not sure. I feel I understand the reasoning behind it but I'm lost when I have to actually do it myself. The prof keeps yelling out that if we don't get out by now we should just drop the class and rethink our lives or some shit. He barks at us to draw faster and I started to get panicky in the class because I broke a charcoal pencil like six times. I had to leave to get air. I don't anticipate the prof will help me because every time he demonstrates the method he does it incredibly quickly with little explanation. How the fuck do I intercross? Also I just want to learn and draw without getting yelled at, Jesus.
>>
Is it widely known that the Intuos Pen & Touch actually comes with some replacement nibs on the removable back plate thingy? or not? am I an absolute genius or an absolute idiot for finding that out after having this thing for a whole month?
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
Spray paint is a hard medium to get fine details with. I tried everything the spray paint canvas artist did on YouTube. So far I used cardboard, masking tape stenciling, and paint brushing the paint onto the canvas to get into the nicks and crannies. This process seems more tedious as it should be since It is already a month passed and I just got the background done. The foreground is going to be stenciled via masking tape layer. So far today I started applying paint and can tell it will take another month to finish.

Is there another technique I could use to speed up the process? Because I feel like this is taking too long to finish.

(BTW foreground image is furry so I posted an older pic of the process.)

Advice.
>>
File: image.jpg (202 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
202 KB, 1000x750
>>2393020
Dammit!
>>
>>2392783
You need a serious lesson in willpower.
Google it, read the first article that comes up.
>>
what should i do to improve drawing heads and faces ,its really fuckin my shit up right now .
>>
where can i download architecture cad blocks?? can anybody direct me to the right sub/thread
>>
Just a protip for anyone thats considering a tablet and primarily uses SAI, dont get Huion since that shit just doesnt work.
>>
>>2392951
>intercross
first off, learn to google. there is a bunch of stuff on "intercross drawing" available.

second off, get this shit of "art is free and luvvy duvvy creative smoochy coochy" shit out of your head.

Scientists and Artists are very close in their brains and shit they've done studies.

If you want to draw realism, unless you're already drawing realism well, you're going to have to get analytical. If you can understand it you can draw it and if you analyze it it helps you understand it.

This intercross shit seems a bit flat but is probably fine to learn.

Just suck up your pride and listen to the professor. It is 100x better to have an overbearing professor than one who has no idea what they want you to do, even more so when you're starting out.

If your pencil is breaking work on arm control or use a pen or a harder pencil.

I used to break my charcoal all the time because I had no arm discipline, and I still do sometimes because shit's hard for me.

gotta get some mental toughness m8
>>
>>2392369
what do you guys think about starting head drawing in ps with the ellipse tool? i've been using a tablet for ages but still cant draw proper circles in bigger sizes (i dont have much problem with pencil and paper)

or should i just zoom out in the beginning?
>>
>>2393374
proko's portrait tutorials are helping me. it's basically loomis simplified and without all the irrelevant bits.
>>
>>2393641
get off the tablet, practice drawing on paper. this might sound remedial, but you could also try to print a sheet of paper with gray/dotted circles and ellipses of all sizes and draw over it with your hands. this isn't a "what do i do on photoshop?" question but a problem that sounds like "i physically cannot draw a circle that i'm satisfied with." solution: practice drawing circles and ellipses.
>>
when drawing from reference is it good to overlay the reference over your drawing when you're finished or should i wait until i can see the mistakes myself?
>>
>>2393659
i draw pretty much ok circles on paper
>>
>>2393696
it would probably be best to try and find all the problems you can, then when you think you've found them all, check yourself by overlaying the image.

usually by glancing back and forth between a drawing you can see if things are right/wrong pretty quickly.
>>
I really enjoy doing environmental and landscape art, but I'm a bit of a beginner. I struggle knowing where to place things. Is there any one type of landscape I should be doing studies of to start out?
>>
File: thumbnail-2[1].jpg (207 KB, 765x496) Image search: [Google]
thumbnail-2[1].jpg
207 KB, 765x496
It's it normal to find it hard to draw things in bigger scale? Ones that deal with anatomical rules?

Like trying to draw a head half the size of a page or drawing the upper half of a person to fit an entire page?
>>
What is a good source for expressions ?
>>
File: Cay9v1XW8AEQl5p.jpg (358 KB, 1614x1016) Image search: [Google]
Cay9v1XW8AEQl5p.jpg
358 KB, 1614x1016
How do I improve my digital linework? I'm doing good with painting, but my drawings are total shit
pic related
>>
i literally cannot into perspective. ive read several books on the subject and i just dont get it. i dont understand where youre supposed to put the vanishing points or horizon line or anything.

is there a video tutorial or something that im missing? i find it difficult to learn things if theyre just put down in words.
>>
>>2393885
Horizon line is eye/camera level. Put the vanishing point(s) wherever is most conveneient for the subject.
>>
File: kawaiitofugusan-2560.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
kawaiitofugusan-2560.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1600
Hi, what order would you say is best, draw in pencil then go over in pen, then erase the pencil marks before finally coloring?
or
draw in pencil then colour, then go over with pen and erase the pencil?
>>
File: presets.png (76 KB, 856x743) Image search: [Google]
presets.png
76 KB, 856x743
Dear ic

Is there a consensus when making a new picture? (size, pixels or cms, 8bit?)

Pic related (those specifications)
>>
Would it be fine if I work through vilppu drawing manual? Is it actually suited for beginners?

Or it'd be better if I study from something else, if possible, what exactly?
>>
Does anyone know where I can get smooth newsprint in Canada for a reasonable price? All I can find are 50 sheet 18x24 pads for 40 bucks on amazon, after shipping and tax I'd be paying nearly 60 bucks a pad. Curry's only has rough, which I already have and isn't really working too well. DeSerres doesn't have anything. Dickblick ends up being just as pricey after shipping and taxes.

Is there a cheaper alternative to smooth newsprint?
>>
>>2394129

Keys to Drawing is best if you're new to drawing. Vilppu is probably more of an intermediate book I think. It's hard to say, because there's stuff in there that's good for a beginner, but beginners shouldn't really be jumping into figure stuff, they should be doing still life. If you have it, give it a read through anyways and see what you can take away from it, you never know.

Keys will teach you all the important observational stuff you need to know so you can draw accurately. Without that you'll be banging your head against a wall.
>>
What are some good features to exaggerate on a white person? With black people it's pretty to exaggerate their more prominent features in a comedic way, but I'm having trouble designing attractive white characters while keeping a bit of humor to them.
>>
>>2394063

Experiment. Don't be so hesitant that you ask before you do anything. Take a piece of paper you don't care about messing up and just try things out. Figure out how everything in your finished picture is going to work in terms of the process before you actually start doing it.
>>
>>2392369
I'm going to attempt to draw every single drawing in Design and Invention within 24 hours.

Any tips?

w-wish me luck, guys.
>>
>>2392369
how do i learn art to make quick cash
>>
File: 0TIEafZ.png (276 KB, 1000x1463) Image search: [Google]
0TIEafZ.png
276 KB, 1000x1463
How long should a beginner spend on a drawing when learning the basics of form and perspective. My drawing class has me doing 5 different bottles now for example and its great fun but in the beggining is time something i should restrict or would i benifit from doing all that i can do and take all the time i can afford to (say 6 hours on each instead of 1)
>>
>>2394370
teeth, bridge of the nose and the area around eyebrows if you want to believe Hampton
>>
>>2395221
You would benefit from doing loads of drawings really quickly.

Quantity is always better than quality for learning. You can spend hours on a drawing when you want to do finished pieces.
>>
>>2395234
I agree with this to an extent.
Sometimes you need to really take your time and think.
Though, yeah.
>>
>>2395234
so what would be my maximum time for the long learning process. i have to budget my time because college and work take up most of it so im trying not to waste it.
>>
>>2395241
The maximum time for one drawing? I can't really say for you, I'm a pretty impatient person and would never spend more than ten minutes on something like a bottle.

Just stop and do a new one either when you notice your drawing is flawed (then fix it in the new iteration) or when you feel like you aren't getting anything more out of it. Like >>2395238 says don't go so fast that you aren't thinking and being critical, but also don't waste time on a drawing that isn't teaching you anything.
>>
>>2395246
ah ok. for me thats varies based on what im drawing. I like that mindset though. I can manage that. Thanks.
>>
>>2395234

just want to say that some people disagree about this
>>
Recently getting back into art and I've forgotten the name of that art torrent website that had all these lectures uploaded, what was it called again?
>>
When drawing, hand resting on paper/table/tablet or hand hovering?
>>
When doing studies of figures, what exactly should I be trying to gain from them? I feel like I copy without taking too much knowledge away.

Also when do I begin to simplify / stylize? When I feel like I have a decent grasp of fundamentals?
>>
>>2395422
>I feel like I copy without taking too much knowledge away.

I have the same issues, if you've got your answers somewhere share it :)
>>
>>2395273
Resting, you'll get tired otherwise, and it's not very good for your hand
>>
I can't seem to focus on drawing, it's really difficult for me to spend more than 30 minutes on something without feeling that anything that I'd possibly add up would be interfering with the quality of my drawing, knowing however, that it is still incomplete. I can't seem to go past the contouring phase of a drawing; I get swallowed on insecurities and can't advance - what should I do, it may be because the topics at hand don't directly relate to my ambitions in art, still... they're fundamental to my growth.

What should I do, what are some exercises that could effectively be done even when not in "zen"?

I'm tempted to ask if these troubles falter away or not... yeah, it's overthinking.
>>
Is doing studies of pictures a good substitute for life drawing? I wanna learn to animate and The Animator's Survival Kit says to do a bunch of life drawing. I can't into life drawing.
>>
File: DSCN1168.jpg (164 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1168.jpg
164 KB, 1024x768
For those who draw/ink with brush and ink, what is a good brush to start learning with or just good in general (got plenty of ink)?
>>
File: 1.jpg (88 KB, 840x917) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
88 KB, 840x917
I just got into digital drawing, maybe not the right place not ask photoshop question but I'll do it anyway. Whenever I activate the grid in Photoshop I can't make straight lines anymore it starts jumping around which is very weird. Bottom is drawn with grid activated and top without. Anyone know how to stop this?
>>
>>2395576
Hold shift or toggle off the snap to grid option
>>
>>2395582
Thank a lot!
>>
>>2395562

It's not a perfect substitute but it's functional, especially when doing a life drawing of the actual subject is inconvenient/impossible.
>>
What's a good schedule to follow if I want to get better?
>>
>>2393900
so do you just put vanishing points.. wherever? thats what im not understanding. obviously theres a correct and incorrect way to go about it but i dont know.
>>
Drawing on anime style fucked me up, any tips on how to fix this? I just want to draw more realistically.
>>
File: 3211463-80bdBXs8CVpP2BQ_.jpg (38 KB, 385x512) Image search: [Google]
3211463-80bdBXs8CVpP2BQ_.jpg
38 KB, 385x512
Can someone help me pick out a tablet to buy?

I am not a very technologically-inclined person. I had a nook which I used a lot for reading, and I currently only draw on my 3DS using Colors 3D. I would like a reasonably priced tablet that I can read and draw on.

What's the difference between a tablet that you actually draw on the screen, and a tablet you draw on but the picture shows up on your monitor? They are both called tablets to my knowledge which is confusing when searching for one. I need it to be the first type.

Any recommendations for a good one? I'm not master artist or anything, it's just a hobby. Pic related, something I drew on Colors 3D, this is the max resolution allowed by that program.
>>
File: Van Orton Design 1.png (582 KB, 900x875) Image search: [Google]
Van Orton Design 1.png
582 KB, 900x875
>>2394390
Thank you!
>>
Two questions:

How to relieve arm / wrist pain?

How to correct problems with measurements (Torso too short, waist too big, etc.)
>>
Does tracing help ingrain proportion?
>>
So once you understand construction and anatomy, how do you go about drawing the features / cleaning up?
>>
How do I stop being lazy cunt and start drawing 12hr\day? I feel guilt
>>
>>2396571
features are still in 3d space, so they are constructed also, If you can't draw the features you're not constructing the whole head, hand or whatever. You cant just slap stuff on a ball and call it a head.
>>
Is there any reason to upgrade to Intuos over Huion aside from better program support?
>>
i always feel guilty when draw a fellow artist gift art. I always believe that while they say they liked it deep down they think it's awful. The only reason they said it was good was becuase they felt sorry for me. This also why I don't do art trades because I don't want them to feel scammed because my art is garbage. What should I do?
>>
So for bounce light, if the object being lit is above a perfectly black surface, no light will be reflected from that surface, right?
>>
>>2397347
It's hard to get a perfectly black surface, but on a technicality, a surface that is completely black would have no light bouncing off of it; however, in reality, most black surfaces are a very dark purple or blue and some light is reflected off.
>>
How can i learn traditional techniques like tempera, watercolour and oil colour ? I'm struggling with them at school, need any source
>>
any /ic/ approved books on watercolor?
>>
>>2395422

You should be trying to grasp forms and shapes. If you're having trouble with it, break down a little bit at a time. Find where center lines would lay along the body, draw horizontal stripes on everything to figure out where all the curves and bumps are, then try breaking down further and further.

Your brain is pre-programmed to know how people are shaped, so when something looks off with your exporatory lines you know there's something you need to change.

Alternatively, only draw the basest of shapes. There's a neat exercise wherein you draw a sphere and a cube and connect them with skin that can help a lot, too. Do you figures in only guidelines/skeletons. Go back the the basics of basics for a bit.

Keep at it. It's a long road.
>>
So I understand that if I want to get paid anonymously on Paypal I need to set up a business account. Do I need to have an actual business to do this? All I want is for people to only see my 'business' name, because I don't want my real name tied to my art.
>>
>>2397360
ok thank you, just wanted to make sure I understood it.

One more question, if you shine a key cool light, say blue, on a warm object (red), and a fill warm light (orange), will the fill be lighter than the key?
>>
What kind of line exercises would be the most productive to get less shaky lines?
>>
>>2397657
would be great
>>
is using a mirror to view your hand any different from using a picture of a hand?
>>
What's a good rate to be filling sketchbooks at?

I'm 50sheets/100 pages into my 3 week old sketchbook, is that a decent quantity/day to improve?
>>
will I still be able to grasp how to paint using only digital or will painting in real life help a lot more?
>>
I downloaded Watt's Atelier workbook. What is the order of reading these? Is there any additional material I should download/watch/read?
>>
File: john_currin_porn-777x525.jpg (95 KB, 777x525) Image search: [Google]
john_currin_porn-777x525.jpg
95 KB, 777x525
I see people throw around the phrase "degenerate art" a lot but it seems to be a rather nebulous phrase with no real definition.

What do you mean when you call something degenerate?
>>
>>2398766
degenerate art comes from the german 'entartete kunst', used by the nazis in their propaganda campaign against modernism.
>>
i find it really hard to just jump right into learning without a guide/steps to follow so i can make the most of my time without guessing.

i know i should be practicing the fundamentals like drawing circles and lines, 3D objects, Perspective, etc... in some kind of order of progression.
but i just can't seem to truly really get into it without like steps or exercises to follow.

i've read some books but they seen to really rush things, even DrawABox seems kind of fast or maybe lacking is a better term.

any other sites, tutorials, or good books that could give me detailed exercise routine and such so i can truly feel like i'm being taught something?
>>
>>2398779
Well that's rather boring.
>>
is it okay to resize your canvas a lot?
>>
>>2393877
Learn anatomy. Start with the basics of proportions and master the actual form. Start blocky and move to organic body parts as you move along. That's how I did it at least.
>>
I want to get into drawing.

Is A4 a good size for a sketchbook or should I go for something a bit smaller?
>>
>>2392369
I have done 2 dynamic sketching videos, what should i do next? Those two were my introduction to drawing.
>>
>>2397781

Thank you very much friend. I'll keep trying to do my best.
>>
For anyone that uses Corel Painter 2016, what are good coloring brushes and shading pencils?
>>
>>2394075
always change the color mode to 16 or 32. also ramp up the resolution a little bit if you plan on making prints
>>
>>2395838
Tablets that you can see on are called pen displays. Cintiq, from wacom, is extremely pricey, so I'd suggest either trying out a drawing tablet or getting an ipad with a special pressure sensetivity pen.
>>
>>2395936
stretch before drawing
>>
>>2399009
Printer paper.
>>
best site/video to learn to draw hair effectively?
>>
>>2399009
Don't worry about buying any materials apart from a pencil and printer paper. At least make sure you know it's for you first.

I've also been drawing for years and still use printer paper at home, while using sketchbooks when commuting.
>>
Is there a good photoshop brush manager? A plugin or something I'm missing?

The standard preset manager is fucking trash. You can't even test brushes with it open as far as I know.
>>
>>2395936

Exagreggate in the other direction for a while. Make really long torsos and cartoonishly thin waists for a week or two and you can land somewhere in the middle.
>>
>>2399847

I haven't tried it personally but Jonas De Ro has a custom brush manager thingie. Google it
>>
So when it comes to Loomis, how much is there to gain form Fun With A pencil. I've been working through it along with Vilppu, and I think I get the gist of the approach and I'm not sure if it would just be more productive to just go to Figure Drawing FAIW and Drawing the Head and Hands (or other books).
>>
How the fuck do I into life drawing sessions as a beginner? The format is ~8 15 second gestures, ~5 10-20 minute poses and a 30 minute pose for a total of 2 hours.

I understand that I should not be copying the form, and that gesture comes first, then fleshing out or breaking of the pose into simple shapes, but I find myself getting lost and I end up just going back to the habit of making really shit, poorly proportioned contour drawings. Plus, I start getting super anxious when people sit next to me and glance at my paper.

Is it just something you'll get better at over time, or is there a formulaic/proper way to tackle the pose for each specific time period?
>>
>>2398792
>entartete kunst
>boring
Anon it's perhaps one of the most revolting things about WWII which is saying a lot. The destruction of art and ideological opposition, at its core it's a practical application of thought-crime punishment. The twin exhibits were masterfully crafted to legitimately fuck people up walking through it and distort reality. It was genius and despicable.
>>
is it still worth buying books that already have e-copies floating around?
>>
>>2400588
At its core a gesture sketch is just blocking in areas to create a form. You can use it to block in weight, pose, proportion, and composition extremely quickly. But everyone gestures differently I've learned - some gesture easily with blocks, some create flowing lines within the form to inform pose, weight, etc, some can do rough contours and adjust later, etc. But the key is swiftness and truthfulness - draw what you see, not what you know. Just think about getting what you see onto your page as fast as you can manage.

In my freshman year I had a drawing class and our first day we worked backward from 1 minute, to 30 seconds, to 15 seconds, 10 seconds, then we had to have a gesture in 5. It got us to really think about trimming all unnecessary distractions and focus on quick composition, form, and pose. Even today I never take more than 5-7 seconds to gesture something and move immediately into value and proportioning.

The key is learning to figure out the most important parts and transplanting them quickly. You do get better over time, that's why you've got to keep at it over and over and over again. Each time you learn more and work faster. Don't worry about anyone else, they're unimportant and believe me most people will be more concerned with their own work. There is no real rigid formula with anything, really, except reduction and abstraction to a core, underlying truth of its construction.
>>
>>2400637
If you wanna support the creator, I guess.
>>
File: free hand excercise.png (118 KB, 389x777) Image search: [Google]
free hand excercise.png
118 KB, 389x777
Keys said I should pose a friend for the free hand 1 min gesture exercise but I can't into that. What do I use? Images? Wasn't there also a website for drawing poses for reference that had timers for 1 min, 2 min as well? Does anyone have the link to that? Also, is it supposed to be nude or clothed?
>>
Total beginner here, I have been trying to start with gesture lines of the human body before going into forms or details.
My question being, what should I look at first? I used to depict the motion of the whole human body in one line from head to toe. Then add single gesture lines for each arm and leg.
Then I saw proko's gesture videos, and he starts with the gestures of the outlines of the body! Then the biggest gesture line of the entire body comes almost accidentally.

What is the right way? Is there a right way? Is he just advanced enough to start without a big guideline?
>>
>>2400878
Forgive my adhd, post >>2400651 pretty much answered me already. I can start with single lines to point out just where I want to continue with more refined gestures.
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (66 KB, 753x1675) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
66 KB, 753x1675
Why does sargents paintings, and others that are very skilled often have this regularity to them. Almost all of sargents value scales are smooth as fuck. Is it perhaps because he painited from life and his values are more consisten or is it the composition and how chose to paint it. The picture show sargent smooth curve on this paining and an example of mine.
>>
File: Untitled-2.jpg (846 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-2.jpg
846 KB, 1920x1080
>>2400958
sorry wrong picture.
>>
Why is it that I cant draw as well on digital as I can on pencil and paper? I cannot for the life of me put down a line perfectly on top of another when using a tablet. I can draw on paper and be content with never using an eraser, but I have to spend more time on digital, undoing, erasing lines and troubling to join lines together seamlessly.
>>
File: Untitled-2.jpg (153 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-2.jpg
153 KB, 1920x1080
>>2400958
Example of leyndecker curves. Wtf does this mean?
>>
>>2400841
http://artists.pixelovely.com/
http://www.quickposes.com/pages/timed
http://www.scott-eaton.com/category/bodies-in-motion
https://www.pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
http://www.posemaniacs.com/
>>
File: Untitled-2.jpg (144 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-2.jpg
144 KB, 1920x1080
>>2400958
last example, walter everett.
>>
>>2400986
>quickposes
Yeah, that's the one. My main concern is that isn't it bad to draw from photos and shouldn't you draw from life?
>>
Where do you get photo references for casual poses?
>>
>>2401110
try fashion tags on pinterest, you can find pretty much anything on pinterest.
>>
>>2401114
thanks
>>
How do I beat that feeling of boredom during studies from books? My issue is I find it rather boring to study from books. Those I've tried I haven't finished at all. The walls of text are discouraging.

I've never picked reading as a hobby.

What are alternatives to 'keys to drawing' ? Videos preferably.
>>
What kind of photoshop brushes do you anons like to use for a painterly feel? I know the technical process of turning something into a brush in CC but how do I create a good textured brush that resembles real life, analog painting?
>>
What is overlay? What does it do, exactly? I've seen overlay layers mentioned several times regarding rendering but no actual explanation.
>>
File: overlay.jpg (195 KB, 1208x1600) Image search: [Google]
overlay.jpg
195 KB, 1208x1600
>>2401263
It's like making a layer like cellophane.
>>
Should I buy the CTH680?
>>
>>2392369
Whats the best way to add line weight in a drawing?

Should they be added in areas of shadow? or in curves?
>>
Do you guys make a sketch for an oilpainting with paint or with charcoal?
I always use paint but i suppose a fixated drawing can be useful as a sketch as well.
>>
Im returning to drawing after not doing it for like a year and a half. All my artwork is like depressingly worse than what it used to be (no shit) how to i get back into the groove of art. Like I still understand fundamentals and all but my hands refuse to cooperate. How do i get back into the game?
>>
>>2401974
I'm going through this right now as well. The best advice I can give is to suck it up and push through it and make sure you draw EVERY FUCKING DAY. You have to make drawing everyday a habit, even if you're just drawing circles. Getting your mechanical skill back to where it was asap is crucial when trying to "get back in the groove".
>>
>>2401558
See
>>2401733
>>2400990
>>
So is there any way to stream traditional art without getting an external webcam or do I just need to suck it up and get one? Any recommendations?
>>
>>2401558
Lineweight can be determined by the object its describing and how prominent you want it in the image, such as how close to the lightsource it is relative to the rest of the drawing, texture, how far back it is, etc.
>>
>>2402046
How do you expect to stream traditional art without a camera?
>>
Is there such a thing as relying too much on ctrl+z? I can draw just fine traditionally but when it comes to digital I find my self undoing every stroke I make multiple times.
>>
Is it normal for you to drastically speed up the more you practice? I still have a lot of room for improvement on my art, yet I notice that when I draw the same thing, I shave anywhere from 5-20 minutes off it. Should I mix it up more?
>>
>>2402428
Not really, no. I do both traditional and digital, and make more mistakes and take longer with digital. And between the two, I do digital more.
>>
What are some good books for implting texture with pencil or pen?
Not just metal but like fur, stone, scales, fabric, etc
>>
>>2402558
*implying
>>
what do i tell my friends when the ask why i draw naked people?
>>
>>2402723
>what do i tell my friends when the ask why i draw naked people?
Nothing. It shouldn't bother you.
>>
>>2402723
Tell them you like marvel
>>
>>2402558
Famous Artist Course
It's a pretty big document but they cover that well.

>>2394382
>>2401003
>>2401333

download links:
>>2394397
>>2400868
>>2400906
>>
>>2402723
That you're studying the human form and drawing the nude figure is a traditional and best way to do so.

If it makes you uncomfortable for other people to know what youre drawing, don't show it to them and keep a separate sketchbook to do nude studies in.
>>
>>2402507
You're becoming more familiar with the form, that's a good thing. Repetition is good, change it up though if there's something else you want to learn, if you want to expand your artistic repertoire, or if you're getting bored.
>>
Is Photoshop better then SAI for painting?
If it is, which is the best version?
>>
>>2401581
I prefer charcoal because it's cheaper and easy to modify
>>
>>2392369
How do I into eyes in perspective shit always looks weird when I try to slap em onto a head
>>
Okay, so I'm having trouble getting the proportions right with short & plump girls, especially the hips.

Any tips?
>>
>>2402850
it would help to post your work.

if you don't want to post your work, use references.
>>
>>2402850
I dunno if this helps a little
>>2394175
>>
>>2402844
>>2401026
>>
>>2402801
There's pros and cons to each, I would say photoshop is more powerful and versatile, sai is more straightforward/barebones and is also easier on the computer (less lag). Personally I would use Sai for lines, photoshop for colors, but I would recommend trying out both to see which you are more comfortable with.
>>
What do you guys think of the Draw a Box series of tutorials?
(drawabox.com)
>>
How good do I have to be to start selling art?
>>
Is there a website like Quickposes/Pixelovely for environments & landscapes? Taking the 'what am I going to draw today' out of the equation for figure drawing studies has been a godsend, but I'm always kind of left to fend for myself when sketching environments
>>
>>2403114
The first group of lessons are great for beginners.
If you follow them exactly and practice concepts from lessons until you understand them, then you will build a solid foundation of skills.
>>
>>2402917
Peter Han, Scott Robertson, and ctrl paint might be better.
>>
File: wolf indian.jpg (455 KB, 535x734) Image search: [Google]
wolf indian.jpg
455 KB, 535x734
Where can I find guides and basics of how to draw and color in the style of American traditional tattoos? I am open to anything but typically use a digital medium.
>>
How do I into digital painting and blending and shit? I've done pretty much everything with pens and pencils my whole life, and have the means to work in Photoshop, but blending colors has never been my strong suit. It feels harder digitally for some reason, though I've been chocking that up to unfamiliarity with the tools. Any advice?
>>
>>2403429
Lower opacity, use eyedropper as much as you use the brush. I usually do blending at around 20% opacity. I'll sample one color, paint over the other where they meet, sample the new color, blend the two adjacent colors with another pass or two, sample that and keep going in that fashion until they're smoothly blended to what I want.
>>
>>2403432
Huh. Guess I'm on the right track, at least. Thanks.

I've been using pen pressure opacity and a static brush size. Is that something you'd recommend to someone figuring out digital work, or is there a more straightforward combination of settings I should probably start with?
>>
>>2403438
Just spend a couple hours playing around with different settings and brushes, even make your own and just see what feels right to you. There's no clear-cut way that works for everyone to learn. You presumably already know how to draw or paint given what you said in >>2403429 so now I'd say just experiment and mess around until you find something comfortable.

I have a lot of settings tied to pressure and tilt. I'll sometimes alternate opacity and flow to pressure, for example. I almost never use a static brush, I have that set to opacity normally but that's just me. As I said, all you can really do is play with settings until something clicks and don't be afraid to change that up and figure out different things that work in different circumstances.
>>
>>2403429
Check out this blending tutorial:
>>2394409
>>
>>2403144
https://www.reddit.com/r/EarthPorn/
>>
>>2403443
That's a pretty good blending primer!

>>2403441
I just discovered the "always use pressure for opacity" button, and boy is that easier than mucking around in brush settings for every texture I want to try. Thanks for the help.
>>
File: 11878128af96c67ed88e44e75dfcf36a.jpg (684 KB, 3300x2170) Image search: [Google]
11878128af96c67ed88e44e75dfcf36a.jpg
684 KB, 3300x2170
Drawing from life i understand. draw what you see. how about from photos? how do i get the most use out of them?

im trying to draw people in them but that seems above my pay grade as it were. is it something that i should practise all at once? eyes, nose, hair. all that or should i simplify it and try to just get a simple outline of the image.

gestures i believe is what im trying to get at.

because a lot of the refs that get posted are models.
>>
Which presidential candidate is the most for art promotion in society?
>>
File: rDCGPYDcb9I.jpg (51 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
rDCGPYDcb9I.jpg
51 KB, 640x480
Hi! Need help with perspective :) Lets imagine that there is a light source over the red rectangular box that cast a shadow, that is perpendicular (lets just imagine) to the floor (painted blue). I understand the general rules of drawing cast shadows, but i dont understand where exactly do the green lines of the shadow fall on the floor. How to find these points of intersection? Any advice or link is very much appreciated! Thank you :)
>>
>>2403532
If you don't want to learn to draw anatomy from imagination, then start with gesture. I wouldn't recommend starting your drawings with contour, unless tracing but tracing is generally frowned upon. If you want to draw people really well, learn the anatomy so you can construct things accurately. Start with the bone system and each bone's proportions to each other, how they move, etc. Then you learn musculature and how that affects the form, how bodies move and bend. After that learn how to render skin and features. Once you feel confident in all that you can really start doing some great stuff from imagination instead of reference. Practice one part until you at least have an understanding of its functions, even if you're not proficient. Eventually you'll be constructing bodies like a beast if you put the effort in.

Drawing from photos is similar to from life, except unlike in life you usually are bound to a single viewpoint and many decisions of composition and information are already decided.
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (187 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
187 KB, 640x480
>>2403889
>>2403889
Think of a geometric solid and complete the shadow on your ground. Define your figure/ground relationship and stick to that for the rest of your piece of the whole thing gets fucky.
>>
File: 1455785089803.jpg (79 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1455785089803.jpg
79 KB, 640x480
>>2403905

Thank you for your comment, but why did you place the shadow there? why not like in the joint image? once again, i just need to know how to define these intersection points. Or did you mean that it is to me to decide where does the shadow fall?
>>
Hi is there a book about Watercolor for beginners
i like the style of the book Garage band by Gipi
>>
For clothes do you draw the form underneath first or do you just "see" it and draw the clothes on
>>
File: tumblr_o1my8yZG5D1r6c9d8o3_1280.jpg (496 KB, 1280x1707) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o1my8yZG5D1r6c9d8o3_1280.jpg
496 KB, 1280x1707
What's the best kind of clay to buy? Something I can buy in bulk would be best.
Also what's a good like, station for working with clay? Would just like a table with newspaper on it be okay?

Any tips for working with clay in general, I wanna learn to make cool shit like this.
>>
File: bust_jorduschell_sculpture.jpg (54 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
bust_jorduschell_sculpture.jpg
54 KB, 640x400
>>2403956
Start with WED clay, it is a water based clay invented by Disney, it is highly regarded and dirt cheap.

Dont use newspapers, depending on what you need you will either need to set up an armature (for figures) or just a simple threaded pipe locked onto a floor flange base (head sculpt)

buy galvanized wires and look into setting up a lazy nezumi. it is dirt cheap thanks to the internet.

as for learning materials, i would recommend Jordu Schell. one of the best. search and learn all you can about him. also seek out the NMA sculpting lessons they are great and some Gnomon DVD's too, Jordu did an amazing DVD for them. i would also recommend the stan winston school, but screw those Jews lest you have too many shekels to spare. good luck faggot
>>
What's a good group drawing program either through browser or downloaded? Flockdraw is ass.
>>
I'm personally not interested in anything the industry is doing and I'd rather make a living on my own stuff. Am I missing out on something major if I don't work at x company for several years or freelance clients?
>>
File: 9781933492964_p0_v4_s1200x630.jpg (44 KB, 508x630) Image search: [Google]
9781933492964_p0_v4_s1200x630.jpg
44 KB, 508x630
How difficult is this book? Should I read How to Draw first? I'm a beginner who's just learned 3D shapes and basic two-point perspective.
>>
>>2405173
FWIW I find the "how to draw" book a bit obtuse so I went back to Perspective Made Easy hoping that it will allow me to understand better the former.
>>
I touched on this in the beginner thread but if I can it would be nice to elaborate on it here.

How does drawing from life help you more than drawing from a photo, besides the photo being flattened for you already?

Do you gain a better sense of mass and solid form because you see with two eyes and can literally see more around the form?
>>
>>2405214
Photos have lens distortion and rarely show the true colors. Also in life you see the object in three dimensions, so it's easier to understand the shape as a three dimensional object instead of blindly copying shapes.
>>
>>2405240
But doesn't the human eye have a type of lens distortion too?
Due to its round shape that is.

I think I get it though.
>>
How do I go about drawing people in perspective properly?
>>
Is there a program that has rotatable cubes, cylinders etc?
If it would randomly rotate after a timer or button click, that would be awesome.
I want to push myself to draw awkward viewpoints and angles, starting with the basic shapes.
>>
>>2405173
Is not difficult but is not going to teach you much if you don't know perspective, he often says so in the first chapters (light is affected by perspective)
The first few pages of the how to draw book are pretty good (chapter 2 and 3 iirc), so reado those in full detail and actually understand the principles behind it (cone of vision, perspective point, horizon line, everything else you can find about yourself, but you won't understand it properly if you don't get all of this first)

I would personally go: scott robertson first 2 chapters and then the first chapters of drawabox.com, then you can get onto rendering, anatomy and construction.
>>
>>2405214
The lighting and what you already said are the main issues with it, drawing from life sharpens your eye faster.

>>2405251
It deppends on what kind of lens they're using (you can draw fisheye photos once you're pretty good at this life drawing thing, it will get you some nice results)

>>2405271
First you learn perspective with basic shapes, I reccomend scott robertson's book.
then you learn to break the body into shapes (construction, make your subject a mannequin) and then you apply what you learn into those shapes. (again, think your subject is inside a box, this will also help a lot)
Give loomis figure drawing a try too, he explains this.

>>2405375
Literally any 3d program. but you should learn perspective instead and once you're done with that do the drawabox.com exercises (grab a box and rotate it with the principles you learnt)
>>
>>2405384
>First you learn perspective with basic shapes, I reccomend scott robertson's book.
>then you learn to break the body into shapes (construction, make your subject a mannequin) and then you apply what you learn into those shapes. (again, think your subject is inside a box, this will also help a lot)
>Give loomis figure drawing a try too, he explains this.

thanks dude this helps a lot to have something to work towards
>>
How do I regain my motivation to draw? Or rather, how do I discipline myself to draw?
>>
>>2405501
Dunno if it will work for you but using the pomodoro timer technique really works for me. Basically just concentrate/study for 25 minutes and take 5 minute breaks in between.
>>
Total computer noob. How do I resize images?
>>
>>2405565
delete system32
>>
>>2405573
seriously, I need help with this. No meming pls
>>
>>2405565
you open MS paint and click resize
>>
>>2405580
thank you
>>
File: study-of-drapery-1900.jpg (273 KB, 1007x1410) Image search: [Google]
study-of-drapery-1900.jpg
273 KB, 1007x1410
Does anybody know what kind of materials Mucha used in his sketch?
>>
>>2405890

5 seconds of googling tells me gouache. Gouache and pencil perhaps.
>>
>>2405891
sme parts look almost like ink but that could just be the scan
>>
>>2405904

I'll take that back. It looks more like charcoal.
Take a look at this:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c0/Jaroslava_Mucha_by_Alfons_Mucha.jpg
>>
>>2405908
>https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c0/Jaroslava_Mucha_by_Alfons_Mucha.jpg

thanks my negro
>>
>>2392369
I'm working through the villppu drawing manual, and just got to the box part. I knew this all along, but my box drawing skills are very lacking, so i need practice.
My question is how efficient would it be to study from a 3d modeling program, rotating the cube and drawing it from different angles?
I know the basics of perspective, but i need to get decent with freehand cube drawing.
>>
>>2405981
do.... do you not have access to cube-shaped objects and a lamp in your life?

-box
-dice
-rubiks cube
-bits of wood
-A piece of paper folded into a cube shape
>>
>>2405984
i do have, but i'd rather not bother if its not worse to draw from the screen
bottom views are difficult to set up in real life for example
>>
>>2405987
the top and bottom of a cube are the same...
>>
>>2405982
thanks babe that helps a lot too
>>
I find it difficult to draw from imagination. putting my ideas down on paper isn't the problem, I just don't have ideas. I don't really participate in any media besides art (I don't read books or watch TV etc) could this be part of the problem? or am I just uninspired?
>>
What's the best size for drawing on photoshop? I usually go US paper size but it doesn't exactly feel right when I zoom in to do the eyes.
>>
Is a cintiq a worth investment?
>>
>>2406302
If you have to ask, probably not.
>>
I've spent the last few months learning to copy. Now I need to learn to simplify. How (/from whom) do I learn to simplify?
>>
>>2406281
7500x5000 at 300dpi.

My standard size.
>>
>>2406237
new experiences and exposure to other creative media certainly can help prompt inspiration. You can be inspired by nature or by stories, by people or by buildings. If you're finding yourself lacking in inspiration, you need to seek it out. Visit a museum, go for a scenic hike, see a movie, read a book, etc.
>>
is copying an actual thing I should practice If I want to get better at drawing anything or just from my mind?
>>
I've lost my ability to draw. I was fine three days ago but now nothing looks passable. What should I do?
>>
>>2406908
keep drawing obviously
Try to figure out why your shit does not look passable and work on that
>>
>>2392369
lately I'm trying to paint like Chinese artists like Ruan Jia.
But I noticed I'm only copying the superficial stuff: colours, visual tricks, etc without actually understanding their logic to paint values and volume.

What should I study then to actually understand what they are doing?
>>
>>2407092
Just feel the form senpai
>>
File: image.png (78 KB, 485x335) Image search: [Google]
image.png
78 KB, 485x335
>>2407093
Can I feel YOUR form?
>>
>>2407095
You gon' feel my dick up your ass senpai.

Seriously now you might want to work on some construction and learn the planes of the face so you can understand what the fuck you're doing instead of just copying the colours and shit.
>>
>>2407116
I want your dick
>>
>>2407116
I already know that stuff like planes and anatomy in general. It's the rest that is bugging me like hair and objects and armor.
Maybe I just study classics like Sargent?
>>
>>2392369
what book is the best when it comes to drawing heads and overall body? I find loomis boring, something else?
>>
File: 1400170071608.jpg (130 KB, 796x811) Image search: [Google]
1400170071608.jpg
130 KB, 796x811
>>2407569
have you tried hampton? It's my go to for anatomy.
>>
File: image.jpg (150 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
150 KB, 1280x853
I can't fucking wrap my head around this. How do I draw heads in at angle like pic related?
>>
>>2407620
Draw it straight up, then use the transform tool to rotate it. Draw in the neck and hair, and voila
>>
>>2407630
Eh, I meant more like when the head is not exactly looking directly at you. Like a slight turn.
>>
>>2407630
thatd be a horrible way to learn
>>
File: quicknailstudy.png (12 KB, 351x114) Image search: [Google]
quicknailstudy.png
12 KB, 351x114
>>2406302
You don't have to learn to draw on tablet to use it, but I advise to do even if you get a cintiq so I guess first go the screen-less route, then go cintiq.

>>2406666

You mean as stylization? what do you mean by copy? you mean as life drawing or as tracing?
elaborate on this please.

>>2406873
Copying is such an ambigous word in what drawing is refered.
Learn life drawing, which is copying from reality and then move into copying from photographs if you want to, don't learn tracing unless you do muscle excercises and stuff like that, but the focus of these is not to learn to draw but rater learn to locate those muscles on your subject.

>>2406908
Is not about "my skills went to shit" but rather "I got much better and now I can see the faults on my new drawings". Just keep doing it.

>>2407092
You said it yourself
>I noticed I'm only copying the superficial stuff: colours, visual tricks, etc without actually understanding their logic to paint values and volume.
>What should I study then to actually understand what they are doing?

You need to study to actually understand what they're doing.

"This form has really sharp edges so Ruan Jia conveys it this way, so I need to render edges this way to communicate they are sharp"
Pic is a example, went as far as doing this al in paint, you can see how defined mine is, so you need to darken the curve a bit more. you can also see his value shift (cyan is the lightest hue and darkest is a deep green), Understand first, replicate it after.

>>2407569
>I find loomis boring
wowie senpai
anyway, like the previous response told you, go hampton (this will teach you anatomy and gesture much better but is the way to go in case you know proportions by now, this is the field where loomis excels at)

>>2407620
Use the loomis method. Having trouble with that? draw a ton of boxes, then wrap the loomis method in a box.

look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EPNYWeEf1U
is exactly what I told you to study.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (153 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
153 KB, 1024x768
>>2407677
Shut the fuck up.
>>
Can someone show me how to construct a rose?
>>
>>2407712
>posts to /ic/ for advice
>is offered advice
>"fuck u"
>>
>>2407712
fuck you too senpai
>>
>>2407699

>>2406666 here. I can recreate an image, both from life or photograph on my paper. My problem is that even when I'm doing life drawing, I feel like I'm tracing; I'm drawing everything exactly as I see it, including all the details that are irrelevant to the essence of the model. But my goal isn't to draw really pretty looking portraits. I only want to sketch efficiently. For example, I want to be able to look at the complicated mess of curves that make up an edge and deduce from that a new line that most closely resembles the original while being as simple as possible. I want to learn how to make that deduction. Wether I should simplify a particular limb as a cylinder or a box, wether I have to render a particular shadow to communicate the form of the object, wether I have to bother drawing individual fingers. I just have no fucking idea how to decide that kind of stuff.
>>
I decided to start doing all the drawabox exercises, because my technique sucks (among other things).

Most everyone preaches overhand grip, and I can see some advantages to it... but drawabox suggests using a pen. Is it feasible to do an overhand grip with a pen (seems like it is more intended for pencil)? What do? Screw it and stick with tripod grip? Do Exercises in both pen and pencil so I get both grips down? Something else?
>>
>>2407699
>Is not about "my skills went to shit" but rather "I got much better and now I can see the faults on my new drawings". Just keep doing it.

Doesn't feel like it to me. I've been feeling trapped and unable to move forward because I can't do anything other than (poorly) sketch in my dumb sketchbook. I want to move on from that but don't know how to or even think I can.
>>
How on earth do people manage good line control on a tablet?
I've drawn on my tablet for longer than I have on paper, but on paper I can do pretty good ellipses and straights. I can take a sheet of lined paper and follow the line almost perfectly, and I can draw circles within those lines without a problem. I can generally trace a curvy line accurately too.
But when I try to do a similar task on my intuos it's a complete disaster. It's orders of magnitude worse. It takes a dozen tries to get a result I can reliably do on my first shot traditionally.

So does it take like ten times more mileage to have good lines on a tablet or am I just retarded? I'm assuming the main culprit is the lack of hand-eye coordination. Can anyone vouch whether if you got a cintiq your line control would reach an equivalent level to your traditional work, or is there something else at play?
>>
>>2407946
Check aspect ratio, go read the embarrassing epiphanies thread
>>
File: image.png (256 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
image.png
256 KB, 500x376
I want to get into airbrushing for the winter months to reduce fumes in the house annoying my relatives. I already have a large air compressor and want to know if it will work for the tool I need.

I went into the hardware store and they had smaller silent air compressors that had under one of their labels, "hobby painting intermediate". No one can there knew if the guns they had available were as detailed as an actual airbrushing tool so I did not get one.

Right now I am working with very large vinyl posters and want to know what should I get?

I already have a large air compressor I used to lay down hardwood flooring, can I use it on a low pressure setting?
>>
DICKS, PLEASE I need HELP

Ok it goes like this. Finally, after months of savins I got an Intuos Pro Medium , and its great. At least that was I was thinking after I restarted my laptop and the touch wa working just fine.
Then I tried to open PS and Paint Tool SAI. BOTH of them crashed on start and I have no fucking idea why. Just before I downloaded and installed my intuos drivers everything was going as smoothly as ever.

I truly need help, I know I should go to /g/ but I know as well that a lot of you own one, so maybe someone can help me trough this.
>>
What should I aim for when doing a still life? Is my goal to get as autistic as possible and get every detail? or just try to get it to look right?
>>
File: what hath god wrought.jpg (52 KB, 540x344) Image search: [Google]
what hath god wrought.jpg
52 KB, 540x344
>>2408098
>Check aspect ratio

I think that was actually part of the problem.
>>
>>2408232

You set your own goals, there isn't a definitive way to do a still life.
Sometimes autisming out and trying to replicate every detail exactly is useful if your goal is honing your observational/measuring skills and how to translate what you see onto the canvas properly.
Sometimes your goal will be how to capture something with as few strokes as you need, and find good 'tricks' to convincingly give an illusion of realism.
Sometimes doing one will inform how you approach the other.
>>
>>2408232
There's probably not one answer to this... You should try different approaches each time to really suss out what you value in a composition and have practice at different things. Maybe look at a bunch of still lives from maters and artists you admire and try to find out what they focused on and then do compositions that focus on the same / similar things.
>>
old fag and old artist struggling for years here
for some months I've been introduced to digital art and it's really helping me but I have a big problem: my art is really inconsistent, I do experiment a lot but I feel like I'm not improving how I want, to the best of my abilities and that's one of the reasons...

how to deal with inconsistent art?
>>
File: 1433994686745.gif (312 KB, 624x384) Image search: [Google]
1433994686745.gif
312 KB, 624x384
reposted from the beginner thread:

How big of a canvas do you use drawing or painting in photoshop/painter? What are the pixel dimensions?

For lineart, is it just a matter of smooth strokes from the arm rather than the wrist? I'm terrible at that habit.

Do most people save using PNG format? What about scanned images?
>>
>>2408361
perhaps pick a single subject matter, like faces, or hands, or sitting nude female figures, or towels, and draw variations of that over and over again for several days, if not weeks. Exploring the same form from various iterations may help you figure out consistency. Once you thoroughly understand the form, you'll be more comfortable describing it through drawing.
>>
>>2408444
>How big of a canvas do you use drawing or painting in photoshop/painter? What are the pixel dimensions?
300dpi, 2000x2000 pixels to 7500x7500. Really depends on the purpose if it's to be a finished piece, a sketch, a study, etc.

>For lineart, is it just a matter of smooth strokes from the arm rather than the wrist? I'm terrible at that habit.
Wrist for smaller strokes, elbow for longer ones, for me at least. It's hard t get used to as we're all used to just using our wrist/fingers for writing. Smooth drawing strokes is really a matter of patience and practice.

>Do most people save using PNG format? What about scanned images?
JPG compresses, PNG does not. PNG is for if you care about preserving the integrity of your file, JPG for when it doesn't matter/you need to compress it to upload. PSD preserves layers.
>>
>>2408462
Thank you
>>
What is better: using geometry and helping lines, finding patterns etc. or, if experienced, just copying everything as you see?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 53

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.