[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is Art?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: il_570xN.766230606_2lem.jpg (100 KB, 570x750) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.766230606_2lem.jpg
100 KB, 570x750
General art discussion thread on how to define art.

What important qualities does art have to have in order to be considered art ?

What do you consider important aspects of art that you can consider it good? ______ +______= good art

What artists/works/genres is a good example of your opinions on what art is/isn't?

Discussion of all types of media (fine art, sculpture, digital art etc.) welcome.
>>
>>2390777
Art is whatever I say it is.
>>
>>2390777
this thread is retarded. the definition of art varies according to time and culture, and within a particular time and culture is used to describe various related but separate concepts.
>>
>>2390818
>the definition of art varies according to time and culture, and within a particular time and culture is used to describe various related but separate concepts.

No shit retard the point of this thread it to discuss the various definitions and value of art as well as your own opinions on the subject.

Or do you even have any?
>>
If you have to ask if something is art it isn't. There you go.

/thread
>>
>>2390822
I don't have an answer because I lack critical thought

/thread
>>
>>2390777
not doing your homework.
>>
>>2390821
You seem to have missed my point.The discussion is pointless, due to the very nature of the question. It is impossible to come to the sort of conclusion OP is looking for, might as well make a "what is God?" thread. What's the point? Pointless intellectual masturbation when you could be making actual art.
>>
>>2391039
I dissagree, it's interesting to ponder about questions even those that are purely philosphical and individual to answer. It is also interesting to hear about others opinions on the subject. "What is god?" is still a valid question just the same as "What is Art". Regardless if you find the results pointless or not.

Thinking about art and making actual art go hand in hand it doesn't detract from progress or making art. That's like saying thinking about the flavor of a dish before you cook it is not important because in that moment you are not cooking quite yet. Art IS mental masturbation. It's playing around with subjects, ideas and stored information and making them tangible through a visceral means.
>>
>>2391120
Again, what's the point? What do you actually gain through this armchair philosophizing about the meaning of "art"?

Now I can understand the benefits of pondering what makes good art actually work, or what defines a particular movement or style, but the nature of art itself? It's like digging a bottomless pit.
>>
>>2390777
What is art? Baby don't hurt me...
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.