[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cross contour drawing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3060) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3060
I found myself a new hobby, drawing. Few days ago I picked up a book titled "natural way to draw" by Nicolaides. Very praised book. First exercise is blind contour then gesture, all fine. Now i got to ex.3, called cross contour. And im confused. In the table it says "Ex. 3: cross contours (1 sheet of drawings)". How much is that? Can someone who read a book explain this, like how should this exercise look like? Thanks in advance
>>
Op here. I should also mention I did read exercise 3 description. It just says that cross contours is when u look at the figure/object, u start from outter edge and imagine ure touching the form and u should go over the mass/shape of the object horizontaly, to the other edge so it shouldnt be straight line. So my questions are: how much is 1 sheet of drawings and should i first do blind contour drawing and then do cross contour (it doesnt seem logical, since blind contour drawing is totaly off, and drawing cross contours over that will be....weird, but still i need confirmation)?
>>
Anyone? Cmon /ic/ if I dont get a reply i will quit drawing and murder myself. Blood will be on ur hands.
>>
>>2387278
Ok
>>
also /ic/ is a slow board
>>
File: cross contour.png (537 KB, 1322x1161) Image search: [Google]
cross contour.png
537 KB, 1322x1161
This is cross contour drawing
>>
>>2387293
Thanks for your answer. Also, am I only supposed to draw red lines? What about looking at the paper?
>>
>>2387293
>cross conture horse cock
>>
>>2387300
lol no the colour doesn't matter and of course you look at the paper
It's about drawing around the form of the object to understand it in 3d space
Imagine holding the object and rolling your finger around the surface. Do that but with your lines
>>
>>2387293

what font is that? it's beautiful
>>
>>2387304
Alright, thanks. Im just confused because in contour drawing exercise he said I shouldn't look at the paper and he didnt say otherwise in this one. Are you sure?
>>
>>2387312
A countour is the flat line around the object seperating the positive shape and the negative shape. In a painting there are no line so this area is just a plane change

Cross contour means you're going across the form with the lines

Blind contour is what you were doing earlier, that's where you don't look at the paper and draw the contour of the image, the outline of the image. That exercise is about learning to see in positive and negative shapes better,

Cross contour is about getting a feel for the form of the object

Contour just means line basically
>>
Okay, I think I understand. But still wonder what the heck does 1 sheet of drawings mean. Anyway thank you for ur time.
>>
>>2387335
A sheet is a piece of paper
It means draw a load of the exercise on the piece of paper
Doesn't matter what size. You could do 1 drawing or 10 drawings on the sheet, whatever you're comfortable with
>>
Got it, thanks.
>>
>>2387293
that's from braeburned isn't it?
>>
>>2387293
Does anyone actually do this? Do the lines help you? You just draw over them anyway.
>>
File: the face of god.jpg (62 KB, 500x475) Image search: [Google]
the face of god.jpg
62 KB, 500x475
>>2389898
>>2389898

>not feeling the form
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.