[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reference or Copying?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
someone posts this. left is student thesis, right is anime
https://i.gyazo.com/6e876d5958447f270e83ab56ea797b41.gif

guy from cartoon network defends student artist saying this is not copying or plagiarism and is only referencing and everyone in the industry does it so its ok.

where do people draw the line? is copying fine as long as you dont copy every single frame?
>>
It's a bit too close imo, but running animations are always similar and you'll always get reuse, especially when on a tight schedule.
Artistic integrity might suffer a little, but sometimes you have to get the product out.

That said I have no idea where this is from and I'm assuming it's from some show and the animator needed to get it done quickly so he copied yoshi.
>>
File: 1428780682043.jpg (2 MB, 1247x6561) Image search: [Google]
1428780682043.jpg
2 MB, 1247x6561
>>2382403
>>
>>2382414
>implying /ic/ was ever good.
>>
>>2382412
thx for the reply anon. the animation on the left is a student thesis film they are planning to finish and probably will use to apply for jobs.
>>
>>2382403
Well they lose some marks on originality at least, does he acknowledge that he copied that clip from Little Witch Academy?
>>
>>2382421
from what ive seen so far. no credit to little witch at all.
>>
>>2382421
Academia*
>>
>>2382417
It's fine to use it to apply for jobs. I mean it's obviously a redraw, he just used the poses of someone else's running animations that would have looked similar. The biggest issue is the camera use is identical and as the anon above states does lose points on originality.
However, it's not like he pulled it directly from there, he's just heavily using it as a reference which is perfectly fine.
Animation I tend to give more slack because a large portion of it is just tedious on your own and not about the drawing itself so much as being able to make it look smooth, which even by referencing little witch academia isn't something you can just easily do.
>>
Using refernce is one thing, copying a shot frame for frame like that is another, particularly considering this is meant to be his thesis, a showcase of his skill.

Wrapping another persons work in shitty color choice is not exactly doing that
>>
>>2382403
Saw the left image a few days ago and knew it looked familiar. Now I know why. They didn't even credit LWA.

I've come to the realization that a lot of artists online are creatively bankrupt and will take shit without giving credit or asking. Meanwhile, these same artists will cry and bitch up a storm when/if it's ever done to them. The biggest hypocrites on the planet.
>>
>>2382403
The way she's running is totally different. The only similarity is the camera angle.
>>
>>2382450
This x 1000. You see it here as well. So many people are thirsty for attention and other people's autismbux that they'll do whatever it takes.
>>
dang, i know her IRL. kinda weird to see this
>>
>>2382542
A little this

Aside from the running sequence not many things are alike. Stop being salty and at least recognize that a lot of other things were accomplished by the student.

Yeah the completion and camera is almost exact. But the colors, the character, probably the story too? are different and (hopefully) more original
>>
>>2382568
Then you can tell her I was hurt when she didn't follow me back.

Say that to Michelle and Justin too, while you're at it.
>>
>>2382572
>Aside from the running sequence not many things are alike.

The running sequence is what we're talking about dipshit. Obviously the other shit isn't exactly the same because the quality of LWA is clearly superior is every imaginable way.
>>
>>2382542
It's like when you see newbies trace photographs, and it turns out like shit. Valerie or whatever, doesnt understand the motion in the LWA cut, and then she mindlessely references it, and all the energy is gone.
>>
>>2382578
>tfw they all follow you
sorry family. but i'll let em know

also, looking at it it's really not similar enough to warrant calling plagiarism or anything. the shot is similar, the character starts from crouching and runs towards the camera which pans slightly with the character. the actual run is quite different, so the similarities basically end there
>>
>>2382582
kek'd
>>
>>2382586
Obviosuly the running is different because the student doesn't seem to understand the motion of running and how to animate it. You can clearly see yhe character taking three steps ywoards the camera, and suddenly she's traveled 10 meters. In the anime, you can see that it takes quite a while yo reach the camera. My guess is that the student took a couple of main frames from the anime and made terrible inbetweens.
>>
>>2382403
There is no originality, literally everything is copied, lifetime copyright is bullshit, it should be 17 years just like patents. The current copyright owners just copied what came before them, something which wasn't copyrighted at the time and then they went full greed and gibsmedat mode.
>>
>>2382414
pfft! like those swimsuit model poses are unique... come the fuck on, there's probably thousands of pictures of half naked women in the same fucking poses
>>
>>2382403
looks like some chinese knockoff
>>
>>2382403
>that left animation
Yoh will not let that pass.
>>
>>2384379
you're obviously fucking retarded. Just look at the girl sitting down. everything is there, the legs, the hand and the part that seals the deal for copying are the bead necklaces.
>>
That LWA shot is probably going to be the new Akira slide soon enough. This person is clearly just ahead of the trend, you need to keep up OP.
>>
japanese animators like yasuo M that also teach students animation in japan would shit all over you if you tried to pass this as your own original work.

>supposed to be THESIS work
>doesn't even credit the original source
jesus christ are you serious
>>
>>2382403
what's the source for this? I mean the one on the left.
>>
>>2382403
>>2385423
Same here, where is this on left?
>>
>>2382403
I'm a beginner with an opinion, and I would like to know your opinion on my opinion.

I don't want to be stuck to references. The only place where I want a reference is while studying, and never while actually drawing something from your imagination. The reason I say this is because the whole point of drawing to me is creating something that doesn't exist, and sticking to references feels very limiting and crippling.

Does anyone else feel like this?
>>
>>2387781

It isn't a problem, but what I suggest rather than not using references is just not being beholden to them. Lots of artists who are plenty skilled at creating from imagination will still consult reference on subject matter they're unfamiliar with. If you're drawing a knight and have no clue how plate armor works it'd be stupid not to look up plate armor and learn how it works, unless you want to draw stupid looking armor that doesn't work the way it does in real life. It doesn't mean you need to copy whatever ref you found, just that you use the ref to understand your subject matter. Carrying on with the plate example, it'd be like looking where armor usually has buckles/straps, where it needs to be flexible for movement, etc. Things you wouldn't think about or memorize unless you'd looked closely.

I think standard procedure for drawing mostly from imagination is "start from imagination until you get stumped/it looks wrong/you need to polish and add details not in your mental library, then consult reference."
>>
>>2387792
> will still consult reference on subject matter they're unfamiliar with
Of course, that's why I said for studies. Of course you should actually look at the thing you're trying to learn how to draw to learn how to draw it.
>>
>>2387798

Just don't feel like refs have to be off limits for finished works, is what I mean. They aren't a problem if you're not using them as a crutch, you can still be creative while utilizing reference.
>>
>>2382572
>salty
Get out.
>>
Do you think the right animation was done without reference?

The only difference between the left and right is that the left is one step separated from the original reference
>>
>>2387852
>Do you think the right animation was done without reference?
>
>The only difference between the left and right is that the left is one step separated from the original reference
Well the LWA clip is shown in the documentary and is a revision of the directors based on an animators initial attempt so yeah it was done without reference.
>>
File: 1451337654267.jpg (348 KB, 2107x1500) Image search: [Google]
1451337654267.jpg
348 KB, 2107x1500
>>2387852
>The only difference between the left and right is that the left is one step separated from the original reference

That is a fucking huge difference. Yoh Yoshinari might have looked at some reference, sure, but he didn't just copy it 1 by 1. That running animation is done in his signature style, you can instantly recognize he's the one who drew the key frames and that they aren't based on any already existing running animation.

Also, do you seriously believe veteran animators who have been working for 30 something years can't draw basic running cycles from imagination? They might use references to give an important animation the little extra believability it needs, but they sure as hell can draw this stuff without having to copy a references frame by frame. Otherwise it'd just be rotoscoping and rotoscoping looks and feels very different from hand drawn animations like this.
>>
>>2387852
they are mostly done without referance.
unless you are animating something so mundane that its is hard to get it just right, most animators dont use referance.
>>
>>2382441
It's not frame for frame, there's some changes, and a big change towards the end so I think they likely just relied on it too heavily, probably more so for the camera angle in my opinion but that's the part thats making it less unique in the end.
>>
File: LWA.jpg (1 MB, 640x3517) Image search: [Google]
LWA.jpg
1 MB, 640x3517
>>2382542
I would say that it's close enough especially when considering the gesture of the arched back, which Yoshinari Yoh specifically pointed out to the animator when correcting this very cut in the making of documentary of the film.

Of course the student probably learned this exact thing from this scene of the "making of", but she couldn't even bother and apply it to a different kind of a cut (different angle etc) is a bit much to my taste.
>>
>>2387792
>>2387817
Solid advice.
>>
>>2385267
Yeah, too bad I heard LWA bombed in Japan.
>>
>>2388288
LWA was funded by the japanese government as part of a program to train new talent and show that anime isn't just for gross otaku nerds.

It is an incredible success overseas, showing the world that japan is in fact Coolâ„¢ and so it has done more than anyone expected of it.
>>
Yeah, too bad I saw this >>2388288 post was filled with autism.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.