[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Form Thread #2: Interlocking Forms.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 6
File: interlockingforms.jpg (233 KB, 789x1002) Image search: [Google]
interlockingforms.jpg
233 KB, 789x1002
Been a long time like a weekish and the thread is long overdue, hopefully what would be great is that if I can't find any time to make a new thread then other anons should do it for me, just like the draw threads.

So as you can tell by the subject of the thread, what we'll be working on today is a concept known as interlocking forms. Like I mentioned ages ago that a warhammer illustration just contains thousands of objects/gradients - likewise those objects in some instances or many can be locked together to form strange and complex objects/shapes. This is the essence of what building an illustration is all about.

So the task for this thread?

Task:

You will need to develop 4 seperate segments showing analysis and study in the concept or interlocking forms.

Each segment will contain 3 phases.

Phase 1: Your drawing phase, here you will draw the forms together, focusing on shape, perspective, scale and line confidence.

Phase 2: You will begin developing your lighting and values, where you will show how that object will be lit in 3 dimensional space.

Phase 3: You will finish with a rendered version of the drawing you began with. Paying high attention to core-shadows, occlusion shadows, bounce-light, direct light, highlights and drop shadows.

If you can make use of 3D software do so as it is useful or you can find a relative source on the internet. I also recommend setting up your own lighting if you have an object that has some form of interlocking going on. For example a mug (Cup) etc.

Useful source:
http://www.erikgist.com/ErikGist_WattsAtelierFigureTutorial.pdf
>>
>>2381636

I also recommend you do 2 segments on basic shapes, not going into detail and the finale 2 segments based on some form of human anatomy or complex mechanical forms that you may find in.. say a stripped down engine for example.

Good luck. Have fun and this thread is to help everyone learn together.
>>
File: IMG_3238.jpg (106 KB, 570x412) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3238.jpg
106 KB, 570x412
>>2381639

will post a few references.
>>
File: interlocking-gears-907745.jpg (25 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
interlocking-gears-907745.jpg
25 KB, 400x300
>>2381645
>>
>>2381646
>>
File: segment1.jpg (66 KB, 1000x672) Image search: [Google]
segment1.jpg
66 KB, 1000x672
>>2381651
>>
File: segment2.jpg (79 KB, 1000x1072) Image search: [Google]
segment2.jpg
79 KB, 1000x1072
>>2381736

segment 2
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.