[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so i just came across a revelation: if you're using a digital
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: skulltut.png (55 KB, 590x544) Image search: [Google]
skulltut.png
55 KB, 590x544
so i just came across a revelation:

if you're using a digital platform; your workflow should be as follows:

sketching should not be done with a tablet... you should use beziar curves, shapes, and lines to create the initial sketch and then afterwards you can go over it with a tablet to create more interesting contours.
>>
>>2378660

wow my mind is blown thanks op
>>
>>2378660
Your revelation is really stupid.
>>
>>2378660

are you high
>>
>>2378660

what the fuck
>>
>>2378677
>>2378672
>>2378665
>>2378664
-_-?

im merely saying that with a mouse interface you can create the perfect sketch the first time due to being able to manipulate the line accurately to what you actually want rather than messing around with a tablet and guessing the line... -_-

and then afterwards you can trace the lines to create your final contour with you tablet.-_-
>>
>>2378660
>>2378717
dude it's all cool and all, but it will make all kinds of gestures impossible. your lines need to flow, etc, etc.
>>
>>2378720
what do you think a bezier curve is fool?
>>
>>2378717
what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
ITT: OP discovered that he can parametrize his art and with right tools easily make 150 different versions of one design with few clicks.

Rest of anons go mad that their work can be reproduced without care and made better in seconds instead of hours.
>>
>>2378660
Holy shit OP. Thanks. I can't sketch on a tablet and I was considering to buy a scanner. You saved me $50 burger tickets.
>>
>>2378660
What are you smoking?

What does this accomplish, both time-wise and result-wise?
>>
>>2378733
I just have no idea what OP is getting at
>>
>>2378660
>>2378717
>-_-
>...
It's this faggot again
back to tumblr you go
>>
>>2378741
well one of the major barriers to drawing digitally with a tablet is being able to draw "analytically" due to it not only being an exercise in fine-muscle control in addition to the logical aspect of it. Therefore, by using this workflow you can essentially skip that aspect of traditional drawing and reduce it merely to a mental challenge:

"what lines should i place"
"how long should they be"
"what angle of curvature should i employ"

being able to analytically decide the traits of the line before and while you place it rather than having to place it arbitrarily as you are forced to in the beginner stages of tablet sketching... well; it allows you to better understand a variety of artistic concepts rather than merely focusing on the chore of training your muscles at the expense of everything else.
>>
>>2378733
Alright, draw a simple figure from imagination using this method. Genuinely curious about the result. I honestly don't see how anyone could be faster using this method than by just drawing it.
>>
>>2378660
This doesn't seem to function well if you wanted to render anatomy, value or 3D forms in general
>>
File: figu.png (53 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
figu.png
53 KB, 1280x1024
>>2378751
-_- keep in mind this is one of my first attempts using this technique... if you ask me the proportions are already significantly better than my tablet efforts and will likely only get better from here on.
>>
>>2378768
ayy lmao
>>
>>2378660
>>2378750
>>2378768
I'm not sure if you're trolling or just a teenager but this method is dumb and I've never seen a professional artist use this kinda shit. You've demonstrated you cannot draw well at all and you're trying to treat this technique as gospel. It really isn't that hard to train yourself to draw with a tablet. Just man up and do it the more effecient way.
>>
>>2378737
happy to help, glad to give, blissful to benefit :2
>>
File: skull.png (14 KB, 176x172) Image search: [Google]
skull.png
14 KB, 176x172
>>2378791
prior to the 1950s artists never drew on lithoscopes either; yet?

regardless my point is as follows:

to say that something is wrong simply because others do not do it; its foolish -_-... an appeal "to authority" is what i would call it if i were the type of person to relay on the conversational trope of pointing out "fallacies" in others arguements... however; thats a lazy method of "conversation" isnt it? so i will refrain from doing so. :2

regardless merely put my point is simple: prior to the 1910s we never rode in cars, the professional transporters used the railways... yet the first man to load up a big rig was probably laughed at for his workflow that challenged traditional concepts in shipping... look at professionals now?

or rather... in line with my point: "do not look at professionals" rather look towards those that innovate upon various techniques - these will be the rulesets that the professionals of the future emulate.
>>
File: 1442694618242.jpg (73 KB, 667x1000) Image search: [Google]
1442694618242.jpg
73 KB, 667x1000
>>2378791
i'm not proud to say that i can recognize certain posters thanks to their bad habits and their shit attitudes but this >-_- guy is either a troll or a legit sperg who shouldn't be allowed to post here let alone make threads giving advice.

Just hide this thread and move along.
>>
>>2378768
You need to learn to draw, mate and stop wasting your time with this bullshit.
>>
>>2378806
I was saying that there's probably a reason professionals don't use your 'bizarre' technique. One of those reasons being is they don't have issues with using a tablet, usually only beginners (like yourself) do. Also really m8 you're comparing this shit to the automobile?
>>
>>2378806
>fallacy fallacy

Just because there is a fallacy in an argument doesn't make it a false claim.

Anyways, you are distracting from the mediocre results presented by this method.

You seem to be re-branding the practice of blocking in, only adding more steps and ultimately making it more inefficient.

I think you are coming from a good place, but honestly, a bigger part of drawing is understanding, and it seems that this process undermines that.
>>
>>2378818
"professionals" do what they are taught - i do not consider myself a professional -_- or perhaps even an artist.

rather my internal context aligns more closely with myself identifiying as a "polymath" - a studier of all things... and an innovator in many.

so -_- you can see that the reason they perhaps do not use such a strategy is for a few reason: "pretention" and the more obvious ... "they did not consider it"
>>
>>2378819
nor did i imply that - if you reread the rest of the comment i stated that pointing out fallacies ... is -_- not a strategy i employ in debate... it is lazy and in itself a fallacy as you have said -_- although i said it first;

maybe prior to replying to a comment you should read it in its entireity?

merely a suggestion :2
>>
>>2378823
> i do not consider myself a professional -_- or perhaps even an artist.

You've just discredited yourself and people here trying to be professional and/or consider themselves artists are telling you this "method" of yours is stupid. It's much easier to just learn to draw on the tablet and use tried and true techniques. Like another anon said the technique you're using isn't something new, it's just reinventingg the wheel and doing a bad job at it.

You are definitely either a troll or a sperg. Please take your anti-intellectual, bait-ful nature and leave. This board is already suffering enough, it doesn't need you on it hurting it more.
>>
>>2378825
Apologies,

Would you then give me the benefit of dressing my criticism?
>>
>>2378832
Don't encourage him, we need to ignore this person. This'll be my last post in this thread.
>>
>>2378660
that's fuckin stupid
>>
>>2378660
That's stupid. You're stupid.
>>
>>2378819
>>2378832
of course; regardless - you state that a bigger part of drawing is understanding -_- and of course i agree with that

which is why this technique is so powerful as it directly reduces the drawing you are creating down to merely a by product of your visual understanding as you are able to extremely accurately place the proper line in a logical manner.

whereas with tablet sketching, your hand can slip, grip, or shake - with a mouse you can always get the proper line on the first go with a bezier curve.

there is no luck or mechanical skill - the line... and therefore the drawing created; is merely a byproduct of your visual knowledge and logical placement of lines.
>>
>>2378848

I would disagree on two fronts:

1. This method leaves little place for precise usage of planes.

2. Actual technical skill is the most useful in long term, and lends itself to more styles of drawing.

This isn't to say the technique is bad, but it distracts from useful skills and is inflexible.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.