[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ART RAGE
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: 145420529013812.png (219 KB, 1080x1072) Image search: [Google]
145420529013812.png
219 KB, 1080x1072
>started 2 month ago
>tfw accidentally polished shit
WHY DO THIS KEPT HAPPENING
>>
Just play tf2 man be a real nigga like me books r shit
>>
>>2375337

Don't spend too much time on drawing one picture.

t. someone who only draws ellipses, straight lines and basic head construction, literally nothing else
>>
>>2375337
What works for me is, instead of drawing something and polishing it, I draw the thing I want to draw with minimal detail, usually smaller too. Then I draw it again changing what doesn't feel right, and then again until I can feel good about it. Then I polish it.
Even if it's polished shit, I know I tried my best to elevate it from being shit before polishing.
>>
>>2375337

that's what you're supposed to do dummy, don't end up like those idiots in beginner threads who draw nothing but ellipses and gestures all day. make every picture you paint the best one you could possibly make. and you're not polishing turds, you're solving increasingly complex problems
>>
>>2375475
post your work nigga, I bet it's shit
>>
>>2375341
this
>>
>>2375341
The only correct answer.
>>
>>2375341
>Was procrastinating
>playing tf2
>see this
>>
>>2375574

but those are the words of dave rapoza ;^)
>>
>>2375475

That feel when drawing ellipsies only with occasional straight lines.
>>
File: 1432840584673.jpg (128 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
1432840584673.jpg
128 KB, 500x280
>>2375341
>2k+ hours in tf2
>it wasnt until last year in which i uninstalled tf2 and started playing games less
>thousands of wasted hours
>I could be much better at art but instead, here I am with 2k tf2 hours.
>>
File: 1447487119098.jpg (251 KB, 1024x1325) Image search: [Google]
1447487119098.jpg
251 KB, 1024x1325
>>2375475
maybe the people who draw ellipses and gesture all day understand that painting without fundamentals is like building a house without blueprints, you will get less shitty but never good

post your art anon
>>
Polishing something now and then isn't a big deal, you'll probably get some knowledge out of it. I got the hang of forms and lighting because I polished a lot of shitty drawings.

Just don't polish everything at the expense of basic exercises starting out.
>>
>>2375694
2k hours is nothing, try 8 years of WoW
>>
>>2375694
I feel you, I haven't had the time or the drive to play games much and I wish i could've put all those tf2 hours from back in highschool into something productive.
>>
>>2375715
possibly the best drawn butt i've ever seen
>>
>>2375715
Nice butt
>>
>>2375715

I really like this style.
>>
>>2375715
>>2375865
>>2376305
>>2376454

http://mastersofanatomy.com/michael-buffington-jr
>>
>>2375715
Nothing wrong with gestures, especially for warmup. Maybe OP doesn't have a lot of good direction, OP I'd recommend the following- first off keep up the good work and push through the suckiness, you WILL improve (as long as you keep learning and apply what you learn). Second off, here's some stuff for you-
http://drawabox.com/ < this website will give you a to-do list and be very helpful. http://www.ctrlpaint.com/ < This has a lot of good lessons, especialy in portion 2 about training your eyes to see properly. http://www.proko.com/ < this helps with anatomy, gesture and portraiture. Now besides doing the draw-a-box exercises just actively try to do still life, gesture, figure drawing if you ccan, as much as you can. Personally I'd recommend getting a pen (good art pen) and like a 2b (+6b for darker values) with a sketchbook to work on. Just keep at it dude.
>>
>>2375337
You do know that polished shit is art, right? The Japs roll turds into balls with their hands.
>>
>>2375725
post some numbers, I'm curious (never played WoW)
>>
>>2375475
Thank you for not encouraging ic's void of creativity
>>
File: tumblr_n8d69fsXLj1qm4heyo1_500.gif (2 MB, 500x720) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n8d69fsXLj1qm4heyo1_500.gif
2 MB, 500x720
Watching someone who is literally deviant art tier skill level graduate with a bachelors in what I once thought was amazing school with the bright naive eyes of youth.
No gripes on her for being at such a skill level some people take more time.
No my sad anger is towards the school system let her coast on through, barely passing year by year. Without the slightest opposition.
The delusion of her getting better is what frightened me the most sure she learned a bit of color theory but that's not enough.
It must be hard for someone like her. How will she get a job? How will she pay for the outrageous amounts of student debt?
I only barely got by due to nepotism. Many other like her will not be so fortunate.
>>
>>2379591
>
What school was it out of curiosity?
>>
>>2379626
Art institute of Austin, they got me with the state of the art cintiques at the time and the fact that it was 10 minutes away from my house.
The easy choice is surprisingly not the best.
Teachers were great but the lack of weeding out the weak willed is what killed me.
I and many others should have failed.
How can you learn if you don't know what you did wrong.
>>
>>2379632

there's your problem, Art Institutes aren't real schools, or at least aren't viewed as real schools by industry people.

in highschool i used to go to the portfolio shows with my dad who's company basically used the desperate graduates for cheap/free labor for their graphic design/animation division. Most who graduated from there, in his words were taught "absolutely 0 marketable skills and would never get a real job in design or animation" he used them to do the easy shit the senior animators/designers didn't want to do/didn't have time to do/didn't matter enough.

I've seen him do it with multiple Art Institutes, Mostly the Texas ones, but I've spoken with other people in the company and doing it at the Chicago and Atlanta is very common as well.
>>
>>2380216
I'm very thankful that I was able to get a job in my field but like I said my dad got me the job.

The thing that bugs me the most was that most of the later teachers for the "Media Arts and animation" program kept pushing for 3d graphics and amazing environments or models for your final portfolio.
Which I'm not saying 3d isn't cool, I fucking loved those classes, it's just not animation.
>>
>>2379632
>Art institute of Austin

Small world. Live in the same city. Last year, I almost entered that school. I had no high school art so they wanted a half-assed portfolio of my work. Showed it to them, and they even warned me not to enter and guided me to online lectures. Saved me a lot of money, saved me more from the Book threads and CGpeers as well.

I hear the community college in Austin has an amazing animation course, though.
>>
>>2380498
Don't get too pissy about what is and what isn't animation. Live action films are technically animations, just using photographs.

But I know what you mean
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.