[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do any of you guys get your stuff printed? Have you gone through
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 1446091858491.png (324 KB, 666x617) Image search: [Google]
1446091858491.png
324 KB, 666x617
Do any of you guys get your stuff printed?
Have you gone through the complete horror of realizing your digital artwork was never meant to touch paper because of the limitations of printer ink?

Also, wtf is a color profile? How do?
>>
>>2368173
From what I do at work.

Print related illustration = CMYK.

Web related = RGB.
>>
and don't forget your good resolution of the year ^^
>>
>>2368177
>^^

Kill yourself.
>>
>implying I draw in color
>>
Different color profiles have different color values and ranges for different applications, and then there are different color spaces within each of those profiles.
Usually you want to work in Adobe RGB and export to CMYK if you're offset printing. Most desktop photo printers use RGB profiles. Call your print shop and ask what profile/color space they use.
Also helps to work in a decent monitor.
>>
>>2368173
Yeah, I work at a print shop, so I've done one canvas print that came out OK (would've been better with a different lacquer I think), and tons of prints on glossy poster paper. The poster paper prints come out great for stuff with colors, they don't tend to look as good with darker stuff, and I do a lot of literally and figuratively dark art.
>>
>>2368173
>>2368182
Oh, and addendum to this: I asked them about color profiles and they said just don't mess with it. Modern printers have no issue doing RGB, since that's what most people will be printing from anyway. CMYK might be important if you're doing certain bright flat colors, but generally doesn't effect illustrative work.
>>
>>2368186
Usually it's the other way around, since RGB is a much wider range brighter and more saturated tones will turn dull when you convert to CMYK.
>>
work on 300
size your drawing board at the inches you're gonna print
CMYK since start

Save as pdf for printing

that's what I've learn so far
>>
>>2368191
Shows what I know about color profiles.
>>
File: 1442615418167.jpg (31 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1442615418167.jpg
31 KB, 500x500
>>2368182
Holy crap, well can you give me some advice on printing on dark stuff? That's my biggest problem. everything gets so dark and the dark stepts 7-10 all merge to almost black.
>>2368194
That's what I've been doing but it still looks bad when I get it printed...
>>
>>2368260
Most digital printers really are garbage, so just find a place you hate the least and experiment with different papers. Usually glossy paper will have more saturated colors and more contrast, but your images will be darker. Laminating your prints will also darken them.
If your stuff always comes out too dark, make a test sheet where you print the same image with different exposure values, so you know how much you need to compensate.
>>
>>2368273
Thanks dude, you've been really helpful.
>>
>>2368260
From what I experience during my colorist days,

A good contrast work in CMYK always looks nicer than works with values near to each other specially in the darker tones as it sometimes bleed inbetween values.

So what I do is do a high contrast work in order for the printer to properly read it.

Also, if you use Photoshop, ctrl+Y works to check if you have a color that can't be read by the printer and it will register it as a blot of grey.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.