[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do Korean artists draw so well and almost all carry a certain
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
How do Korean artists draw so well and almost all carry a certain unique vibe? Is it cultural for them to get inspired by their peers' style? Do they have their own communities where they discuss their works or share secrets with each other?
I want to know if anyone has any information regarding of art in Korea and has anything to share as a tip or websites.
>>
its shit move on.
>>
>>2358446
I honestly don't know OP, but my guess is that they grow up in a certain culture that points then in a common direction artistically. It's the same thing with Japan. I also think that children there grow up with a stronger sense of self discipline, unlike the US. But if you want that style, you will have to work hard for it.
>>
>>2358446
what unique vibe? they are just like japan with darker color palette.

https://yande.re/pool/show/1674
>>
>>2358446
dude i also tried searching for info about how koreans draw and shiz. I even asked korean friends in college and shit and i found out absolutely nothing. The best advice i'd have is figure out the proportions they use. I tried tracing over some of the korean illustrators art i liked and then taking the head measurements to see how it worked out. I think it was about 8 heads for all the figures. and around 5 heads were all the legs. Try and see if that helps ya. Their style is really nice tho it one of my personal favorites.
>>
>>2358469
like what this guy said, most Koreans learn their technique from all the anime that's offshored to them from Japan. But because of the social tensions, Koreans look for a way to distinguish themselves from Japan style, this makes them more open to western techniques since they aren't bound by the Japanese system of cultural identity.
>>
>>2358483
plus there's also the korean "ideal figure" thing ie being a certain amount of heads tall, finding long legs attractive...korean beauty standards attached to a japanese style? as well as being open to western techniques. i noticed the one you posted had very long legs. that's just my personal observation, though.
>>
>>2358485
>offshored to them from Japan
>most animating for Japan is actually done in Korea
>>
>>2358446
They don't come to /ic/ for starters.
>>
>>2358446
Every time it's an oriental country.
>implying they don't have their fair share of deviant art tier shit
>>
>>2358446
You only see the good people because the shit ones never leave the Korean part of th e intrnet.
>>
> mfw I'm Korean
> mfw there are endless Korean artist completely sucks at drawing
> mfw I myself is not even close to that style
>>
They take art classes when they're children, and once they have the basics ingrained at young age, they then develop their own style as they grow older.

Getting their kids into extra curriculars is a big thing for Koreans. If they can't afford a piano or violin, getting their kids into art is like the cheaper alternative than busting $1000+ on an instrument.
>>
Personally I absolutely hate the Korean animu style. It always looks so ugly to me.
>>
>>2358446
>almost all carry a certain unique vibe?
Nice meme. That's just your own skewed perception of encountering a new culture.
>>
>>2358646
>Getting their kids into extra curriculars is a big thing for Koreans. If they can't afford a piano or violin, getting their kids into art is like the cheaper alternative than busting $1000+ on an instrument.
sounds fun
>>
I really don't see how this picture is unique
>>
>>2358899
It's not. OP is just a Pigeon fantard. They are probably underaged.
>>
As a Korean, I noticed some of you has wrong idea about Korea.

>>2358466
>children there grow up with a stronger sense of self discipline
I think not. Some of them are. many are not.
Korean kids are familiar with passive learning. They just sit around and listen to some information and write down, memorize, get test, and ( hopefully ) pass it. Korean education system has no fun. They does not understand anything if there's no one to teach them. So when it comes to art, their attitude is huge obstacle.

>>2358485
> most Koreans learn their technique from all the anime that's offshored to them from Japan
Yes.
> But because of the social tensions, Koreans look for a way to distinguish themselves from Japan style
No it's not. maybe about 10~20 years ago. but not nowadays. We just don't appreciate duplication and mock offs. whether it's from japan or not.

>>2358646
>They take art classes when they're children, and once they have the basics ingrained at young age, they then develop their own style as they grow older.
No. Most of "art class" is not about skilz. More like mental, emotional experience for their better childhood. Such as playing with paints, smudging watercolor to your face , all kind of "fun" stuff. I really don't think Korean's early education about art is their advantage of skill and style. Your saying is somehow accurate if you meant for 10 years ago. But not nowadays
>>
>>2358984
>I think not. Some of them are. many are not.
>Korean kids are familiar with passive learning. They just sit around and listen to some information and write down, memorize, get test, and ( hopefully ) pass it. Korean education system has no fun. They does not understand anything if there's no one to teach them. So when it comes to art, their attitude is huge obstacle.
>No. Most of "art class" is not about skilz. More like mental, emotional experience for their better childhood. Such as playing with paints, smudging watercolor to your face , all kind of "fun" stuff. I really don't think Korean's early education about art is their advantage of skill and style. Your saying is somehow accurate if you meant for 10 years ago. But not nowadays

I am from romania, and here is exactly the same
>>
>>2358994
I'm surprised that such a long distanced nation has similar trait as my country :)
>>
File: 117.png (162 KB, 1000x759) Image search: [Google]
117.png
162 KB, 1000x759
>Is it cultural for them to get inspired by their peers' style?
Well, east-Asian cultures do assign more value to personal performance over individuality as opposed to the West, but the act of imitating your own peers is hardly unique to them.
It's not like Western (digital) artists don't have predominant styles circling about, it's just a much broader category with a larger group of users that you're too used to seeing. Heck, even in the most pretentious fine art classes you'll find a lot of people gravitating towards a certain set of characteristics, despite the emphasis on a unique style of work. That's just how people work, you pick up on the things you like happening around you.

On the other hand, from a scientific point of view I would actually be interested to see how growing up with a logographic language affects various visual/creative abilities, with or without encouraged penmanship. They affect people differently enough that they don't deal with the 'alphabetic' type of dyslexia. Sadly it's probably nearly impossible to reliably remove all other factors in a study.

Also, what >>2358602 said. Just look at the newest section on Pixiv or even the Japanese openCanvas community (http://www.portalgraphics.net/pg/illust/list.php) and you'll find those drawing skills aren't the norm (Japan=/=South-Korea, I know).
I'm not really sure about Korean sites, but since South-Koreans aren't very common on Western sites nor known for their English skills you can be pretty certain they have their own. Drawcrowd used to have a lot them, otherwise maybe you could try Huaban (Chinese Pinterest) or ccgaa.com (Chinese conceptart.org).
>>
>>2358984
>Korean kids are familiar with passive learning. They just sit around and listen to some information and write down, memorize, get test, and ( hopefully ) pass it.
This is how I passed every test in school. Sadly, I still got shit grades because I didn't do the homework consistently.

US, btw. Do people really not do this?
>>
>>2358665
>implying all other Japonise animus are great
>>
>>2359047
more and more, yea. I'm at a respectable private college and a good portion of idiots do this. also in the art program.
>>
>>2359047
I'm not saying that passive learning is bad thing. passive learning has to be helpful in some situations. like passing test. but Korean people are almost brainwashed for it. most of Korean people doesn't even know how to improve themselves on their own.
>>
>>2359047
For a while, yeah. It's the "female" way to learn.
>>
>>2359053
Not all japanese styles are great, but the western animu thing Koreans love to go for almost always ends up bad to me.
Plenty of great korean artists, it's just the blend I hate.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.