[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
does anyone here do blind contour? i was told to practice it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: Hands004.jpg (14 KB, 299x293) Image search: [Google]
Hands004.jpg
14 KB, 299x293
does anyone here do blind contour? i was told to practice it but i'm curious about its benefits, and if any of y'all experienced any.

i tend to draw without looking at my paper when i do quick gestures, but is that the same thing?
>>
You ask too many questions
it's annoying
>>
>>2358065
whys that?
>>
>>2358062
I never do it, I think it is a waste of time, probably the worst drawing exercise ever conceived.
>>
>>2358062
blind contour every day, probably the best drawing exercise ever conceived.
>>
>>2358062
I practice it every now and then, probably the most so-so drawing exercise ever conceived.
>>
>>2358062
I did it one time, probably the most slutty exercise ever conceived.
>>
>>2358062
you should do it only if you're an absolute beginner.
>>
>>2358161
how absolute are we talkin.
>>
>>2358172
The kind of that ask idiotic questions like this one
>>
>>2358174
how about the kind that gets butthurt over those questions lol.
>>
Beginner here as well. An art professor who is friends with my cousin suggested that I practice this as well. He said that it not only helps with your hand-eye coordination, but it also helps you break up the symbol drawing.

Part two of his theory is definitely true, when I draw blind contour I draw objects with no imaginative bias, and learn how they are actually shaped. Part one may take time to master. My blind contour drawings always come off as abstract, which is expected at someone my level, but hopefully they will begin to take better shape with practice.

I also draw blind contour when doing quick gestures, it helps me learn the human body way better than looking up and down at the body and my paper.

I would like to here what experienced artists think of blind contour as well.
>>
>>2358062
It's very handy exercise for absolute beginners that builds your hand eye coordination and also gets you in the habit of really observing your subject and depicting the contours as they are rather than what you first perceive them to be. It's a good introduction to observational drawing.
>>
>>2358217
is drawing from a tablet akin to this, or is that a hindrance to a beginner? by which i mean, does looking at a monitor while drawing bears a similar load due to not looking at the tablet itself.
>>
>>2358500
and to add to your question, does blind contour drawing help with making the transition from traditional to digital?
>>
>>2358500
Drawing on a tablet while looking at tge monitor feels the same as drawing on paper.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.