[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Im curious /ic/ Have you ever met a professional artist irl or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: 1452654199877.jpg (171 KB, 1180x787) Image search: [Google]
1452654199877.jpg
171 KB, 1180x787
Im curious /ic/
Have you ever met a professional artist irl or just an amateur artist who was very good that never heard of Loomis, Vilppu or any of the art gods you all worship?
>>
>Thinking /ic/ memes are relevant in the real world
>>
>>2350398
Literally the only people ive met who knew who any of those guys were, are people from this place. Know artist ive met personally has ever heard of them.
>>
yes, they are very good
>>
>>2350398
If you meet artists that's around 30 to 40 years, chances are they prolly heard of loomis.

The guy I worked under back when I was starting gave me a xeroxed version of loomis' books since the it was out of print back then.
>>
>>2350402
That's weird considering Loomis, Vilppu, Bridgman, Hampton and co are all books that are mandatory reading in basically any art school and atelier in the world. Guess you only meet with the "self taught" Deviantart crowd.
>>
>>2350406
Probably.
>>
I've met some who heard of them but never bothered to read the books.
If you spend enough time in any field you begin to pick up on important people like that, even if you dont care themselves and are bound to check it out eventually.
Loomis and vilpu aren't nobodies.
>>
>>2350398
Yes, mostly because we have our own versions of them.
>>
>>2350398
I had an art teacher in college who had never heard of Loomis, Vilppu, etc. She also didn't know what an Asaro head or an atelier was. At one point during our charcoal phase, she demanded that I use vine charcoal to draw with because she thought that a Conte 1710B charcoal pencil was a conte crayon.

When we asked to see her artwork, she said that she mainly does 3D installation art with a feminist perspective.

Her drawing demos sucked ass, she couldn't draw ellipses or straight lines to save her life and she always blamed it on "the coffee I drank before class".

I would have dropped the class but I needed an easy A to finish my degree.
>>
>>2350519
>Her drawing demos sucked ass,
OP was asking for artists that were very good, you moron.
>>
>>2350406
>Loomis, Vilppu, Bridgman, Hampton and co are all books that are mandatory reading in basically any art school and atelier in the world
citation needed
>>
>>2350519
I read this before
>>
>>2350587
Mandatory wasn't the right word, but these books are in fact recommended all the time at any reputable art school. Provided of course you actually take representational drawing classes and not performance art or conceptual art or some shit.

I mean, do you think every art school has their own special made figure drawing books or something? Or do you think art is the one university course that is taught entirely without reading materials?
>>
>>2350398
One classmate in my whole 4 years of art school knew Vilpu, and one person I met at a lifedrawing class in about 2 years of attending knew Loomis and Bargue.
Never heard them referenced by fine artists, and I go a lot of events, exhibitions and symposiums.
>>
>>2350599
Maybe you go to really shitty events then. Jeff Watts mentions them all the time. So does Steve Huston and basically every professional artist in the entertainment industry when they talk about how to study anatomy and figure drawing.
>>
yes, easily the best 4-5 artists I know IRL never heard of them

I don't worship loomis or vilppu though
>>
>>2350406
Retarded for-profit art schools ran by hipsters and faux-ateliers for dumb card artists definitely do use Loomis or Bridgman. So you are correct.
>>
>>2350398
Most people know Andrew Loomis and Glen Vilppu, but then again I live in CA where Vilppu actually teaches. Probably a regional thing.
>>
my drawing professor mentioned loomis and the first thing I thought was to wonder if he was an /ic/ drawfag
>>
>>2350719
>Vilppu actually teaches
Shit he still teaches classes?
Oh man I thought he had retired ages ago
>>
>>2350398
Yes. Loomis is much less known outside of the US and people in my country still have shit english and will do anything not to use it. People who learn by themselves mostly just grab a random book from a book store that is written in their language, at least that's what people I know did.
>>
File: 1451338360314.png (790 KB, 792x792) Image search: [Google]
1451338360314.png
790 KB, 792x792
I always thought Loomis was like the Feynman of the art world. It's hard to accept that there are artists who don't know him. I am yet to meet a single person with interest in physics who doesn't know about Richard Feynman.
>>
>>2350870
He's only hyped up here, but then again I don't know any other places that talk about books and resources as much.
>>
In school i met and took an anatomy class taught by Hampton himself. Hes a really chill guy and very informative when you need help with something.
>>
These guys don't mean anything outside of US
>>
>>2350870
Most artists hear about him in passing, they just don't think he's the top shit /ic/ parades him to be.
To most people he's just another textbook name, interesting stuff and he's probably really good, but nobody I really want to follow.
>>
I know my german art prof. really liked Loomis.
>>
Britfag here, Loomis and the others are in the libraries here, only known a handful of people who used them though, and they were animators. The very idea of learning art from books seems absurd to most art students I know, but their lack of it shows, hardly anyone works structurally, which is the real fundamental message to take from the books.
>>
Loomis was never really popular to begin with. He was mediocre in his time, compared to illustrators like Leyendecker or Rackman for example. Loomis never did anything innovative with his art which was why he was so easily forgotten. His work was very formuliac, and his books reflected that too.

Loomis's books are just notes collected together with no clear structure for the artist. They are simple drawing books for hovbyists promising the riches of professional illustration work.

To comics, games and animation fans aspiring to create, his books are a treasure trove of secret techniques. If any of these fans actually got off thier ass to research what Loomis wrote they would quickly see that there isn't anything secret or worthy enough to be called a treasure.
>>
File: butthurt-faggot.jpg (62 KB, 331x402) Image search: [Google]
butthurt-faggot.jpg
62 KB, 331x402
>>2352111
>>
>>2350398
I've met 3 and I've worked for 2. By real artists I mean people who make way too much off their art even though they're exceptionally talented.
>>
>>2350587
>citation needed
lazy fuck. I see this shit everywhere these days.

>citation needed
>Oh, you came back with valid sources, weeeell I'll just invalidate your statement with some bullshit then. Cause I'm actually just an asshat with no real regard for truth.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.