[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Painting is easier than line art / illustration
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6
File: detail.3ace6634.jpg (177 KB, 635x390) Image search: [Google]
detail.3ace6634.jpg
177 KB, 635x390
Painting is easier than line art / illustration
>>
>>2350288
made me reply
>>
>>2350288
how so?
>>
>>2350288
Good movie. But then, I like all of Miyazaki's work.

I find line art is easier. For painting, not only do you have to have to have a good grasp of proportion, and how to use positive and negative space, but you also need to understand color theory, understand how light behaves in three dimensions, and be able to visualize all this in layers, going from dark to light and/or light to dark.
>>
>>2350338
Apart from color everything you said applies to line drawing too
>>
>>2350338
Absolutely nothing you said is exclusive to painting. Painting is generally easier than line art illustrations.
>>
>>2350338
>How to tell someone is bad at lineart
Generally however I would say 'line art' is more difficult in terms of lineart being what gives you the forms and layout for painting. If you're talking about painting from scratch then I'd say painting is harder.
I'd argue the forms are the hardest part of a drawing to get correct and are the most noticeable when they're off.
>>
>>2350346
>>2350288
They are both equally difficult to master. It's cute that you're envious you're not able to paint well and instead of practicing color, edges, values you come up with some lame excuse about it, because if you were to practice it consistently you would understand that there is a lot of subtlety and design that goes on into painting, much more so than the limited spectrum of drawing.

Hard to want to stick around this board when entry level clowns make up these threads. And It's funny because this is the kind of delusional thinking amateurs really believe when they open it up. Ever since /a/ /r9k/ /co/ /cgl/ migrated I felt like killing myself because of threads like this.
>>
>>2350368
>I felt like killing myself because of threads like this.

With all the autistic projection you displayed in that post, please do. You'll be doing the world a favor.
>>
>>2350372
I don't know what's more sad, trying to bait (you)s on a slow drawing board or if you genuinely believe the delusions you post, possibly both. You're the reason everyone competent has left this shithole years ago.
>>
>>2350288
Not for me.
>>
>>2350380
Most of the competent artists of the world never bothered browsing /ic/ in the first place. Cry moar faggot. This place has only ever been good for the resources, nothing else.
>>
>>2350288
Apples and oranges.
>>
>try painting (traditional or digital)
>everything ends up washed out/muddy looking.
I can't into color theory, mostly. But I have a habit of either over blending or not blending at all.
>>
>>2350288
for me 100%. Drawing and clean line art frustrates me as hell. But painting makes me happy.
>>
>>2350288
If you're painting you are drawing.
>>
both are easy, you guys are faggots.
>>
>>2350434
Theres the /ic/ I remember.
Thanks, d/ic/k, I needed that.
>>
>>2350429
Funny, that's totally the opposite for me.
>>
>>2350288
Funny that you would say that, then post a still frame from an animation.

If painting is easier, why don't they paint all animated films instead of drawing them?

Why do most comic books use linework?

Why do beginning art students start with drawing? Why do most people draw when doing roughs?

Because drawing is easier. When you need to simplify the process in order to crank out volume, you draw.
>>
>>2350813

Marko Djurdjevic says drawing is harder than painting. I think he is wrong, and just salty because he is a shitty painter but an insane drawer. On the other hand he has more experience and skill than the entirety of this board combined. So... yeah I'm not so sure...
>>
>>2350823
One guy talking from experience isn't worth much. Although I do recall an old intsructional book on drawing claiming the same thing.

I'm trying to look at it logically. Why would any of those >>2350813 things be true if drawing was harder?

Perhaps we could concede that drawing is easier to a beginner, but harder to master, but that's kind of a cliche, and there's no need to assume it's true just to satisfy the words of one good artist.
>>
>>2350823
Feng Zhu also said that drawing is harder than painting in a video about linework.
>>
Isn't animation fundamentally harder than painting because you have to understand movement and mannerisms of people and objects?
>>
>>2350863

yeah but that's unrelated to the question of line vs value i think
>>
>>2350863
Animation itself is it's own very difficult discipline. But it usually consists of drawings, not paintings. All the details that need to be animated are expressed in linework. Typically, the only painting going on is in still backgrounds.

I'm simply saying that if every detail of a miyazaki film were hand painted as clearly and beautifully as it was drawn, it would take 10x as long to make. Same goes for comic books. Making a comic book is an extra skill on top of the prerequisite drawing ability, but there's a good reason most comics aren't made up of oil paintings! (Although some are, and that's incredible)
>>
File: illustration.jpg (72 KB, 564x183) Image search: [Google]
illustration.jpg
72 KB, 564x183
>painting easier than illustration
illustration incorporates everything you retard.
>>
>>2350903
lol you know what he means, though, right?
>>
>>2350848
>Perhaps we could concede that drawing is easier to a beginner, but harder to master, but that's kind of a cliche

All truths are "cliche". If that's your argument for why you don't believe it you're pretty retarded.
>>
lol no
>>
>>2350288

I would say that it translates better. They both draw upon the same knowledge, you can just get away with more in a painting - with line drawing it's all there.

That's not to say that one is better than the other, painting fulfills something entirely different.
>>
wow good job on this thread OP
>>
>>2350434
You guys awakened Frazetta with your stupid thread
>>
Learning to paint digitally is way easier than learning how to draw.
>>
>>2351952
learning to paint WELL digitally is just as hard as learning how to draw, because drawing is part of painting, you rely on the same fundamentals, even if you don't use lines to define edges but rather value and contrast.
>>
>>2351962
Can you use Erase tool in real life you retard?

CHECK MATE
>>
>>2352031
have you ever used oils? You can scrap it off as much as you like and start again. It takes more time then digital, but it's not that much harder.
>>
>>2352031
Painting IS drawing. You need to be good at drawing to be good at painting but you don't need to be good at painting to be good at drawing therefore painting is harder baka.
>>
File: image.jpg (903 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
903 KB, 2592x1936
>>2350288
Only if you have a Compose-It Grid and brushes that are smaller than 0.
>>
>>2350288
>>
I'm not good with paint, my hands just aren't steady enough. The paint slips around and smears everywhere and I spend so much time trying to fix it over and over.
>>
>>2357528
be painterly
>>
>>2350288
i think that you need to be good at drawing to be good at painting, not the other way around. (that is, if you're not just doing abstract stuff, but even then...)

drawing sets the base for things like composition, value, volumes of the figure, shading, proportion...
you have to be good at those things to transfer them to the canvas with liquid colours. then, other aspects add to it: everything there is to know about colour theory, brush strokes, values, shapes, planes. your picture suddenly becomes three-dimensional. not because of what you're painting, but because paint (mostly) isn't flat, it's a substance and differs from a 2d line.
>>
File: img_1219.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
img_1219.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>I need lines to paint
the absolute mark of a plebeian
>>
>>2350346
Painting is the same thing as drawing + added variables for color and mediums.

Painting is a bigger pain in the ass. Painting has a higher ceiling of complexity.
>>
>>2357597
>that horribly fucked up perspective

The absolute mark of a "I don't need lines" plebeian.
>>
true
>>
I think it depends, some people seem to find linework very intuitive and others seem to find painting very intuitive.
I'm definitely better at painting than I am at clean lineart, but I've also practiced painting a lot more than I have clean lineart.

The thing is you can get away with neglecting good linework if you know you're going to paint over it anyway. All you need to do is make sure everything is in the right place and then you can polish it in the painting stage. So many painters never get particularly good at lineart.
>>
don't know about what is harder, but even Schmidt in his Alla Prima says that the number one begginers' problem (and not only begginers', I suppose) IS drawing.
>>
>>2350288
i'd say they're both about even in terms of difficulty.
with lineart, you've always gotta be aware of where the line goes, how thick it should be, how to convey weight, ect ect.
and with painting...well shit. just shit, fampai.
art is hard.
>>
>>2350288
If it was really easier then the standards of quality would just rise. Meaning you have no idea what good painting is. Step up nigga
>>
File: rainy day.jpg (140 KB, 1007x768) Image search: [Google]
rainy day.jpg
140 KB, 1007x768
>>2358817
it's a cropped pic of a full painting, pleb
>>
>>2362928
>>2358817
OOOO! FUCKING REKT
MAXIMUM DAMAGE CONTROL!!!!
i wonder what he has to say now>>2358817
>>2358817
>>2358817
>>2358817
>>
Painterfag here, this argument!et is retarded.

>drawing is needed for good sense of mass
No, you need to understand how contrasting components of a form modify it's look. You can use value contrat , temperature contrast, basic hue shift to do this. A shitty painter will only modify the value, god help them if black is a part of their palette.

>you need to draw before you can paint
Nope. Painterdicks emphasize colour and tonality comprehension over clean lines. Drawing teaches you how to wrangle around values well and create mass but it doesn't modoify your knowledge of colour at all. Your line work can be skilled as fuck, but if your knowledge of colour comes down to basic filling, it's straight into the trash.

>So many painters never get particularly good at lineart
This, painters create line by putting two forms beside each other. Pencildicks observe that boundary and make their marks on it. Lines are a byproduct of the painting process, not a direct intention.

It's not that one requires the other. The fundamentals are the same and transferable, the process is different. I can draw, but when I do of is painterly because that nis simply how I am used to seeing. I've had friends comments on the large volume fills I do with pencil that end with the ndefinition of the form. They define form boundaries and then fill them with value. Flat, single tone value. They only see boundary!

A good exercise for a painter is to try creating a full chroma painting. This requires knowledge of inherent colour values, composition choice (as your dark values are going to be blues & purples how do you create such that this isn't garbage?) And above all confidence in their marks. Scrape all you can from the canvas, that dioxine is still going t neutralize your yellows harrrrrrd.

Anyway, enough shitposting. Back to studying Itten and putting my palette together.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.