[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do vertical lines as eyes seem more natural than horizontal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: whyeyes.jpg (38 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
whyeyes.jpg
38 KB, 640x400
Why do vertical lines as eyes seem more natural than horizontal lines, even though in reality eyes are more horizontal than vertical?
>>
Probably because of cats and shit.
But also, the almond shape of eyes make it so the cornea touches the top and sometimes bottom lid and is interrupted either side by the sclera. So it's better represented by a vertical line touching the top and bottom of each lid, than a horizontal line suggesting it stretches to either end or that the eye is closed.
>>
File: ellipse.jpg (60 KB, 960x494) Image search: [Google]
ellipse.jpg
60 KB, 960x494
I guess because the iris and the pupil become a vertical ellipse when the head is not viewed from the front.
>>
>>2346324

Wait, I think I mean iris instead of cornea.
>>
blog ?
>>
>>2346333
What are you asking?
>>
File: Nothing-to-See.jpg (12 KB, 281x179) Image search: [Google]
Nothing-to-See.jpg
12 KB, 281x179
>>2346487
just a guy forcing a meme
>>
Conditioning, I suppose. Artists have been representing horizontal lines as closed eyes for decades, if not centuries, so we internalized it.
>>
:D
>>
File: image_400x400.jpg (19 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image_400x400.jpg
19 KB, 400x400
I don't understand this thread.
>>
Horizontal lines distort the entirety of the face more than vertical lines, when you look at the position of the mouth.
>>
Actually it's really simple. Our minds work in symbols, always have always will, when we see a vertical line it implies that they are wide open, attentive and appealing, much like a Disney cartoon's appeal, the character looks like it's aware of what's going on, horizontal implies either hooded, half closed, sleepy eyes, which can work fine as well, but the viewer interprets less energy and thus it loses some appeal that we look for in a simplified style that would want lines for eyes.

>>2349471
There's also tangents going on but the fact that they're horizontal or verticle doesn't distort the face, it's what the artist does WITH the face that would distort it, not the other way around.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.