[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Drawing tips.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: IMG_3755.jpg (2 MB, 2730x4096) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3755.jpg
2 MB, 2730x4096
Hey guys. So I want to draw a picture of my girlfriend but I suck at drawing faces. Any tips?
>>
Just draw and be critical about it. Fuck Loomis or abstraction/construction methods in general.
>>
>>2333796
>implying you can be critical of something if you don't know what's wrong with it to begin with.

Fuck off retard.
>>
First we have to analyze her form. Post nudes so we can tell you how to draw her.
>>
>>2333796
Don't listen to this guy. Memes aside, you do need proper construction to create a decent portrait (or anything. Even if Loomis isn't your thing, you can't ignore how important construction is.
>>
File: 20151231_103208.jpg (3 MB, 2988x5312) Image search: [Google]
20151231_103208.jpg
3 MB, 2988x5312
This is what I have so far. I've been trying to draw the smile. Struggle is real lol. Thanks for the tips so far! :) Loomis isn't really my thing, I just look at the picture and attempt to copy it as well as I can.
>>
>>2333869

>Loomis isn't really my thing
You don't say...

Why exactly did you choose to make a present for her using a skill you have no proficiency in?
It's not going to come out any good, you know.
>>
>>2333869
Just draw and be critical about it. Don't listen to these other fools.
>>
>>2333869
have fun drawing that sweater m8
>>
>>2333885

You do realize criticism and self-criticism requires foundational knowledge, right? You need to develop your eye for your own mistakes. There's a reason when you look in beginner threads lots of people make the same mistakes and know it looks wrong but have no idea what they did wrong or how to fix it.
>>
>>2333833
I'm not OP, but woul like to ask something.

Can experienced artists make construction in a relatively fast and intuitive way? Or they simply get good enough to be able to take measures just by looking at it?

As a beginner, I'm trying hard to follow these methods and for now, it feels nothing like art and more like doing some mathematical graphs, which leads to some boring and lifeless drawing, even worse than when I'm simply drawing by plain observation.
>>
>>2333897
You just have to keep drawing and learn to be critical about it. There is no secret to it, except don't waste your time "studying" or wasting your time with Loomis or the like.
>>
>>2333878

OP here, Isn't the point of a present to show the amount of time and effort you put into it? :)
>>
>>2333914
yeah well it doesnt matter if you spent days working on it if the finished product might still look like shit.
>>
>>2333914
That depends.

If the person cares much more about the intention than the content of the present, yeah.

Personally, I think both intention and the content are important.
>>
File: 20151231_120800.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20151231_120800.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
If that's the case.... Does anyone think they could animate her then? I'm much better drawing anime characters than people. Few examples here. (Yes I know it's very simple)
>>
>>2333967
studying is paramount for increasing ones skill.
>>
>>2333897

Lots of people can do it in their head, but usually that's after a long time of actually drawing in the construction until it's second nature, basically visualizing it. And even then many still do guide-lines now and then with challenging angles/pieces.

It becomes more intuitive with time. It's better to lay a good guide down than do a detailed piece and find it's all off.

This retard really needs to fuck off though >>2333910 , yes he's right, you do need to keep drawing and be critical about it, but part of being critical requires knowledge and study. Knowing how to draw isn't inherent, it's learned, and it's easier to learn from the words of people who have done it for years than to reinvent the wheel.
>>
>>2333975
You'll never make it bro. You obviously don't have the capacity or capabilities of critical self-analysis.

Studying is a detriment and a waste of time. You just have to draw and be critical about it, but obviously you're one of those unlucky few that doesn't seem to get it. I wish you all the luck in the world nonetheless.
>>
In all seriousness you should trace the photo. It's going to look bad if you just go for it, it'll be a gift she'll cringe at every time she sees it unless it's at least half way decent. It's clear from your progress that you literally have no idea what you're doing. her hair looks like straw, her eyes are too big, I can't imagine how horrifying her smile is going to be. You're not understanding what you're drawing.

Do yourself a favour and at the very least, trace the outlines of her features. Beyond that when shading, don't be a noob and shade everything with variations of grey, have whites, have blacks, don't be afraid of either.

Keep posting here and maybe I can do some paint overs to show you how to fix it.
>>
>>2333869
blog?
>>
>>2333793
Why she wearing a wedding ring...
>>
>>2333793
Is that Miriam Yifrah? If not, then its one of her many look-a-like cousins.
>>
>>2333793
See-through mesh shirt? What a degraded slut. Obviously has daddy issues and craves sexual attention. Yup, real "wife material," right there.

Stay cucked, OP
>>
>>2333793
Draw more
>>
>>2333793
Just draw it in a cartoon or anime style.
>>
Use the grid method. Thats what I did when I first started drawing portraits (and still do in artworks where I want to be completely accurate)
http://design.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-use-a-grid-to-enlarge-an-image-while-drawing--cms-20593
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.