[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Traditional medium works
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: jag-1.jpg (160 KB, 687x1000) Image search: [Google]
jag-1.jpg
160 KB, 687x1000
Help me improve, /ic/. Also traditional medium work thread.
>>
Well you put a lot work in his face, but his hair is just a big black spot and his upper torso a grey one. Not much done there. So i recommend adding in a little more detail in the entire picture. Try not to focus solely on one thing in a picture, because that makes the rest of the picture seem unfinished.
>>
>>2332852
*painting not picture sorry
>>
>>2332852
I'll keep that in mind in the future, thank you!
>>
>>2332852
>>2332852
There is absolutely no problem with that. That's called a focal point. I's also a way to establish composition in a painting. If everything is over rendered the viewer can lose focus on what you really want to show. It all depends on what you want, there is nothing wrong with that. All the problems I see are that the brushstrokes are not really sophisticated and could follow the form better, and that the body could have more diffuse edges, making that transition a bit smoother. Also, colors look muddy and pallete could be better picked and more wisely mixed. The solution for the nose is okay but could be a bit better, with harder edges on the nostrils. But you had a good grasp with the eyes, they look really alive and are a great focal point for your painting. Good job and keep it up!
>>
>>2332907

Thank you for the great critique! I'm surprised about how much useful criticism I've been getting recently. I agree with you completely on the colour, I'm afraid the surface was much too absorbent, sucking the life out of the colour as soon as I put it there. I'll revise my brush strokes, I'll try making it look more like John Singer Sargent's style.
>>
File: 20151230_203503s.jpg (64 KB, 501x544) Image search: [Google]
20151230_203503s.jpg
64 KB, 501x544
Chin too big.

General advice is appreciated, small pic. (Can draw large np, just saving space so doing smallest I think I can with the rendering I intend to do).
>>
>>2332923
Come to look at it again, I screwed the face up completely, bottom half is jutting out.

One day though, one day I'm going to grasp the construction!
>>
>>2332923
Considering I haven't seen the reference, I like it! Nice values on the focal points and markmaking. Only thing is that the back of the neck looks like it goes too far back or has the wrong angle, also the values on the neck should probs have smoother transitions so that they don't draw too much attention from the main focal point. Keep up the good work!
>>
>>2332927
It's a shirt, not the neck.
>>
>>2332928
Oh right, in that case forget everything I said about the neck, maybe darken the transition between skin and shirt to make it clearer in that case.
>>
>>2332932
You're right. Cheers.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.