[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How I'm trying to learn to draw
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: francismanapulflash.jpg (140 KB, 317x475) Image search: [Google]
francismanapulflash.jpg
140 KB, 317x475
Hullo everyone! Hope you guys are having a chill holiday season and staying safe from this damned weather.

So I've had this dumb dream to write my own graphic novel, a natural evolution for anyone who read a shit ton of comics throughout their life. Straight to the point: can't afford to hire an illustrator and I can't draw so fuck it, the only option is to learn to draw so here I am. Read through a few Loomis books but it's clicking in my mind. Watched a few videos from established comic artists who said they learned through imitation. They'd keep resource files of how different artists drew things like cars, trench coats, hair, etc. Literally anything and used those as reference for drawing.

So I've picked a few artists whose work I really enjoy and I'm going to start to studies of how they draw stuff (i.e. eye studies, arm, legs, noses, etc., etc.). Anyone learn to draw this way as opposed to reading books and studying anatomy for 10 years? Any thoughts on this method? In regards to my experience I paint a good bit, took 4 years of high school that really didn't teach me too much, but I can look at any image and basically freehand copy it with pretty good accuracy but that doesn't do shit for me when I wanna draw something straight outta my head. Pros, cons, or anything constructive in general for a fresh artist is very much welcome and appreciated!

Pic related: Francis Manapul's Flash, an artist who is working on the New 52 Flash. Really like his style and he's one of the artist I'm going to study.

TL;DR - Trying to learn to draw via imitation of other artists' work to create my own style as opposed to reading books and practicing the "conventional" way.
>>
TL;DR go fuck yourself
>>
Appreciate the helpful comment. Never thought of it that way. I think I'm gonna try and implement that technique into my next drawing session.
>>
>>2331810
fuck off and read the sticky
>>
Yeah, I read the sticky. Then I offered up what I plan to do and asked for some feedback from some artist's from their point of view. I knew this board was toxic but Jesus I thought I'd catch a break somewhere. In short I've learned the sticky is law and fuck asking for a discussion.
>>
>>2331890
>>>/out/
>>
>>2331810
>Trying to learn to draw via imitation of other artists' work to create my own style as opposed to reading books and practicing the "conventional" way.
This post is kinda useless. Imitation is one of the best ways to learn about drawing and that's in the sticky. Anatomy study is necessary to fix problems that might arise but those things are not really necessary since it all bogs down to Practice and being critical about your work.

Essentially your post is useless.
>Pros, cons, or anything constructive in general for a fresh artist is very much welcome and appreciated!
Unless you post your work how the hell are we going to give you anything constructive?
>>
File: IMAG004 (1).jpg (74 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
IMAG004 (1).jpg
74 KB, 800x600
Here's a crazy thought...

If what you are writing can be expressed in conventional imagery, you may want to try Second Life,or better still OpenSim. There you can build sets and scenery, create characters with thousands of options and props to choose from,then make panels from screenshots and add word balloons and special effects later. I did a bunch of goblin avatars and had them posing in someone's medival fantasy sim. You'll get the idea...
>>
>>2332910
See more here...

http://www.jeremeyprickles.com/SLStuffPg6.html
>>
>>2331810

> Straight to the point: can't afford to hire an illustrator and I can't draw so fuck it, the only option is to learn to draw so here I am.

What the fuck is that reasoning? That's like saying "Well, I can't afford a car, so I'm going to study engineering and make one myself"

>Anyone learn to draw this way as opposed to reading books and studying anatomy for 10 years?

No, because it fucking doesn't work. You won't get good in 1, 2, 3 or 4 years. It takes a LOT of time to git gud.
>>
>>2332929
i disagree ive been drawing for only 2 years from nothing and have only done 1 hour a day and almost halfway there. 4 years is definitely doable.
>>
>>2332931
Really? Post your work then.
>>
>>2332936
we're less than 2 days away from 2016 and you're still using the post your work meme
>>
File: buffer.jpg (138 KB, 779x896) Image search: [Google]
buffer.jpg
138 KB, 779x896
>>2332936
my work is fucking everywhere. but i assume im at 40% of the way there. There being a level where drawing comics and being considered good is not a pipe dream.

I got some feedback so its not 100% me but its pretty representative.
>>
>>2332975
this was me 1 year and 9 months ago

And i went about it super inefficiently as well drawing anime most of the way there.
>>
File: first ever drawing on pc.jpg (252 KB, 1890x1417) Image search: [Google]
first ever drawing on pc.jpg
252 KB, 1890x1417
>>2332981
photo didnt link
>>
The problem with ONLY learning via imitation is that you're not actually learning how to draw things, you're learning how other artists draw things (the dreaded "symbol drawing" covered in the sticky). So it'll show in your art if you're just aping the styles of others without a good foundation of your own

Even the pros do their fair share of independent studying and referencing from real life. And anything you want to draw "straight out of your head" will most likely draws from real life in one way or another, so there's no avoiding it. Copying others will only get you so far, and people aren't going to hire some Manapul wannabe when they can just get the real deal.
>>
>>2331810
The history of drawing being taught is the tradition of imitation. Traditionally artists learned by mimicing thier masters. So you're not wrong in your reasoning. Imitation works well because it exemplifies good judgment when drawing.

Just be careful to not get hung up on the details, try to keep an open mind about things or else you'll turn into one of the regular retards of /ic/.

You dont have to read a lot of books now, but dont be closed to the idea of reading them. Sometimes an idea about drawing is more than just the drawing itself. There needs to be explanation to make things click.
>>
contrary to what some people might say, imitating people to learn will work for some people and you can get away with it, but you'll be forever worse than whoever you're imitating, you'll never learn how to solve problems on your own, and is overall not as satisfying
>>
>>2332975
Can you draw and post a picture of this guy's full body with his feet on a flat plane real quick? Clothes or not, doesn't matter.
Reason is, it can be deceptive to only draw and show a headshot of someone, because even artists who aren't too skilled can nail a ¾ view head. That being said, I saw your other post of the eye and acknowledge your progress, but I need to get a better idea of where you stand artistically.
>>
>>2332975
I know too many artists that ONLY draw headshots that look pretty ok but when they attempt anything else it's a disaster.
>>
File: sketch-here-05-0111.jpg (117 KB, 600x849) Image search: [Google]
sketch-here-05-0111.jpg
117 KB, 600x849
>>2332936
2 years sounds about right. Learning How To Draw which is basically all your fundamentals, then another year after that to find your style. But it's to common to see someone start and give up half way in their journey, only restart a year later.
>>
>>2332929
>You won't get good in 1, 2, 3 or 4 years. It takes a LOT of time to git gud.

If you don't think you can get good in four years you have very high expectations for "good". Which is fine, but don't think that everyone else has your standards for what makes good art. I'd argue people can reach a level of competence to make good stuff within two years, and depending on what kind of style you're going for maybe even shorter than that.

Also I'm pretty sure the reasoning of "I want cool drawings but either can't afford or don't want to pay someone" is a reason tons of people get into art.
>>
>>2333206
cmon, tell us who you are already!
>>
>>2333112
you sound like some dumb cali-mex kid full of angst
>>
>>2333258
great observation man
>>
>>2333237
Don't worry, I have something coming up to get ic's attention in the future. It'll be some time, but I really appreciate what this site has done. During my art courses, everyone's biggest problem was looking for material to continue their path in drawing and figuring out how to improve. ic doesn't have that problem, since a lot of material here is organized and a lot of recommended books are really good. There are no road blocks here. Unfortunately, this is also a curse, since the amount of material can be overwhelming, a lot of people just keep on searching and searching to find that "magical" answer. If more people here just did more drawing... that would be a wonderful sight to see. Maybe one day?

Good luck to everyone on their journey and keep posting. The beginner's thread has delightful words of wisdom. They know how to say things to make your brain click.
>>
>Don't worry, I have something coming up to get ic's attention in the future.
>If more people here just did more drawing... that would be a wonderful sight to see. Maybe one day?

You sound pretentious as fuck.

>>2333270
>>
>>2334169
he's right you know
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.