[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm trying to get into digital art, and frankly, the keybinds
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: razer-tartarus-gallery-2-v2.png (227 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
razer-tartarus-gallery-2-v2.png
227 KB, 800x600
I'm trying to get into digital art, and frankly, the keybinds seem a bit over-whelming.

I've both heard and read that the old Razer/Belkin Nostromo was a god-send for both art and productivity, but considering it's long been discontinued, I'm currently looking into other alternatives.

The Razer Tartarus seems like it's very similar in design, but I've heard the included software if fairly intrusive.

There's also the Logitech G13, but I'm concerned about it's overall ergonomics.

tldr; Anyone have any experience with gamepads for art and productivity?
>>
File: DSC05576.jpg~original.jpg (169 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
DSC05576.jpg~original.jpg
169 KB, 800x600
this is more than enough desu
>>
I use a g13 and it's fine.
It really quickens the work and stuff. I used it in both sai and ps and it was great in both.
>>
>>2329651
G13 user here, nice thing about it it automatically switches profiles when a program is launched like PS or manga studio. Very customizable or too customizable.

The issue with them is that they are not wireless and smaller(or lighter). Memorizing your key function locations can be a bitch, so program a few first and add when needed.
>>
just use a keyboard and tablet like everyone els...
>>
I'm assuming you know you can customize your shortcuts? Just distill down the things you use the most and put them on the keyboard in a way that makes sense.
This is my layout:

R: brush. E: eraser. W: rotate. Q: scrubby zoom. those are the most important tools I need and thus they are on the most easily accessible keys Then I have all sorts of secondary functions all over the place but you get the idea. I don't know if having a dedicated one handed keyboard is going to do you much good if you can't remember your own custom key bindings. To me it just seems redundant unless you use it because it is smaller than a full keyboard if you're on the road or something.
>>
File: XKeys.jpg (246 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
XKeys.jpg
246 KB, 1500x1500
There are some that have keys you can pop open and place images into. But they are stupid expensive at $80 for Genovation Controlpad CP24 and $135 for X-Keys XK-24. I've never used either of them.

Something with LED screens in the keys like the Optimus Aux would be pretty sweet, but even more stupid expensive. Maybe in another 10 years...
>>
Can you attach one on your hand like a powerglove¿ :3
>>
I just use some steelseries keyboard that has 10 macro keys along the left and 12 along the top. The left side has always been sufficient for me paired with a few bindings on the keyboard that are easily reached and intuitive (like ctrl b, ctrl v, b, e etc).
But yeah having a pad is incredibly useful. The two I have for new layer and merge layer done alone are amazing for the way I work.
Then I have a pair to increase and decrease brush size, a pair to zoom in and zoom out, and a couple to open different layer modes. Generally it suits me just fine.

That said I wouldn't recommend steelseries, maybe it's just me but the drivers seem pretty shit and I need to unplug and replug it constantly to get it to remember it has macro keys.
>>
File: tumblr_mzxh2wHAYh1rvhjm6o5_500.gif (887 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mzxh2wHAYh1rvhjm6o5_500.gif
887 KB, 500x281
>>2330042
>>
If you can't use a keyboard and tablet (like everyone else) and you're not disabled, I'm afraid you're not going to make it, kiddo.
>>
>>2330126

if you can't use a rock on a cave wall you're not going to make it, kiddo.
>>
>>2330045
>>2330042

Attach it on your crotch so you can fap while you feel the gesture
>>
>>2330128

if you can't use a stick in the dirt you're not going to make it, kiddo.
>>
>>2329661
I use the same thing. Is there a way to assing different short cut to the 0 and 00 because that really drives me crazy.
>>
The G-13 is a life saver. I can see why someone would find it complicated at first. I've been using it as a game pad for years and before that I had 2 of the belkin Nostromos, so the layout is pretty familiar. The G13 has the auto switch between program profiles so you don't have to load layouts every time you switch a program, but it also allows for 3 layouts within the program profile. So if you use Photoshop for line work, and coloring, and photo manipulation, a specific layout for that type of work is only 1 button push away... once you set it up. it's fairly intuitive. you're best bet in setting it up is to start with 1 or two key bindings and then branch out from there. Maybe undo and eraser. Don't load up your keys and then expect to remember what each one does. if you have a second monitor you can leave the key map up on your second screen for quick reference assuming that you named the key strokes instead of just leaving "Ctrl +Alt+z" and "B" or "e"... you get the idea. hope that helps. Good luck
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.