[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Normally I would post stuff in draw thread, but individual threads
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 17
File: Ginger Bronson.jpg (138 KB, 846x1091) Image search: [Google]
Ginger Bronson.jpg
138 KB, 846x1091
Normally I would post stuff in draw thread, but individual threads seem to be made all the time so whatever, my plan's to post character designs I've done and if anyone gives a shit I'll draw more showing off who they are and what they do.

This is the protagonist of a low-fantasy comic I'm still developing. She's frighteningly strong, knocks fuckers over like bowling pins.
>>
>>2318257
I don't whats up with her torso but it sort of looks like she has three breasts in this pose
>>
File: 12-17-15.jpg (163 KB, 1227x694) Image search: [Google]
12-17-15.jpg
163 KB, 1227x694
>>2318273

Really? Nuts. She's actually missing her right breast because an arrow covered in animal shit grazed her chest a couple years back and caused an infection, so they had to get her hammered to amputate it. My anatomy's shaky, though, so your misunderstanding is my bad.

Here's another character from the same story, this guy being forced by his dad to be a general, to the annoyance of actual military guys. Plus they think he's a total pussy because he's good with a bow but not with a sword. Of course, he'll have many chances to prove himself.
>>
>>2318257
Keep in mind that the difference between using style to compensate for the lack of knowledge of anatomy and then basing a style on a solid understanding of the same makes a big difference for the end result. An easy fix could be to add some well structured background scenes and environments and those are easy to reuse. But of course if your comic offers other things like compelling storytelling or humor then that might not matter.
>>
File: 7-9-15.jpg (270 KB, 1389x1186) Image search: [Google]
7-9-15.jpg
270 KB, 1389x1186
>>2318296

I agree. The torso I feel I have the best understanding of, arms a little less, the back a little less, and legs even less. And knees? Don't get me started! I've started to get the hang of applying perspective to figures outside of backdrops and I feel like, given time to think about it, I could draw any character I've designed from any angle. It's why I haven't launched a comic despite encouragement to - I just do no want people to have to look at sub-par work. I'd like to be on the same level as guys like Hal Foster or Winsor McCay or Willard Mullin. The flow and volume and making the finished drawings look deceptively easy.

Feel free to request me to draw something, no matter how difficult it sounds, I really need the practice.
>>
>>2318306
If you just want anatomy practice and still work on your characters then you could go to http://www.posemaniacs.com/category/type/full/page/2 and draw your characters in random poses. There are some action oriented ones you might like.
>>
>>2318257
I think it looks pretty sweet so far. more character pics?
>>
File: 12-17-15.jpg (250 KB, 1606x965) Image search: [Google]
12-17-15.jpg
250 KB, 1606x965
>>2318312

Sorry these came out so scribbly, the confidence wasn't there because I so focused on getting the poses right.

>>2318322

Sure.
>>
>>2318257
let me ask you something. why did you make the strong person a girl?
>>
>>2318339
traps and lats looking pretty, seems like you know the back pretty well
>>
>>2318342
pretty good**
>>
File: 12-17-15.jpg (456 KB, 2000x1936) Image search: [Google]
12-17-15.jpg
456 KB, 2000x1936
>>2318340

The reason's really simple - I had never made a woman protagonist before, so I wanted to see how that would turn out. It's certainly not for girls to have a role model, because she's pretty violent and rowdy. And she pretty much acts like a man because she was raised by a smelly, hairy, boorish, inarticulate crew of pirates from the age of 6 onward (she's 19, now).

And here's another character - the gentle, benevolent Queen Larida. She came about because I just wanted a fat character, but not one that would be misinterpreted as being some kind of statement on fat positivity or anything like that. So I made her so grossly fat no one could possibly associate any message like that with her. She's just a deceptively smart woman, particularly with military strategy (learned from her late dad). She also loves outdoor games like golf, pall-mall, jeu de paume, along with swimming and hiking. Her royal dress is likely to change, the pink blouse and heart has aged too much for me to want to stick with it.
>>
>>2318353
really like the easiness to your line work.
Do you animate?
>>
>>2318376

Nah, I'm too indecisve and I freeze up and get overwhelmed, not quite sure what to animate.
>>
>>2318380
have a website?
>>
>>2318386

Nope. I only post stuff to 4chan because it's so easy going. Not to mention honest reactions and feedback.
>>
File: trogdor.jpg (203 KB, 700x1000) Image search: [Google]
trogdor.jpg
203 KB, 700x1000
>>2318353
Why not have a fat guy? She is so unrealistically fat she looks like those fat fetishists characters from deviantart. She really is pretty gross, though. Those gross gigantic arms, tiny head with a cute skinny face that clearly don't belong to her...

I kinda like the muscly protagonist, but you are drawing her body more like a male bodybuilder's body than a naturally strong woman. Her hips should be wider, not only because that's how it is on real strong people, but because she is a woman. I get you are trying to do, but the stylizing is really unpleasant. Pic related, strong woman, too small for what you are going for, but great style in the right direction: big, round shoulders, but also a round hip. Less defined muscle and shit.
Again, her head also don't belong to her character. The hair specially, she has the face and hair of a spoiled teenager.

Anyway, your stronger character is a muscly deformed woman, your smartest character is huge landwhale of a woman. Very progressive of you, anon.
>>
File: supergirl.jpg (62 KB, 602x787) Image search: [Google]
supergirl.jpg
62 KB, 602x787
>>2318415
Woops, wrong pic. This was the reference for the body type. Here is strong womyn
>>
File: supergirlandcrew.jpg (155 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
supergirlandcrew.jpg
155 KB, 1600x1200
>>2318416
>>
File: supergirl realistic.jpg (35 KB, 189x564) Image search: [Google]
supergirl realistic.jpg
35 KB, 189x564
>>2318417
>>
>>2318257
Her pose looks off balance, her torso is too inclined, the rib cage is a little too big and round, those are some lazy feet, the fuck is up with her nose position? needs more loomis in general.
>>
>>2318306
I will comment on this one because it is a pet peeve of mine.
When someone develop big lats you will not see the outline of his/her torso ending on the deltoid, like in your bottom left drawing, it will be a little bit more to the outside. Here is a exagerated exemple, see how superman's lats end up on the middle of his arm? Obviously your character is not THAT muscular, but the lats ending on the deltoid is something only people who never did a pushup have.
>>
>>2318424
pullup, sorry
>>
File: latsOrNoLats.png (203 KB, 556x679) Image search: [Google]
latsOrNoLats.png
203 KB, 556x679
>>2318424
Superman must have found a way to use his lats when he wank off.
>>
>>2318436
drawing and coloring are usually done by different artists in comics, the color artist probably mistake super's lats for his cape and made it red.

Also, what kind of boring ass masturbation are you doing that does not involve every single muscle in your body?
>>
post moar op,link to blog too.
the whole lost breast cause of arrow infection thing is a tad offputting,why not just give a scar or something instead of that cyst at>>2318257
>>
File: Birds of Prey WIP.jpg (530 KB, 2700x1065) Image search: [Google]
Birds of Prey WIP.jpg
530 KB, 2700x1065
>>2318415

>why not a fat guy

Because I didn't choose to have a fat king. I understand that women tend to have more hip, but I tried that on her and I just couldn't get that big contrast like I wanted, so I instead settled to give her a pretty face to compensate.

>>2318424

I see what you mean. It won't happen again.

So here's some bad guys, the main bad guys. They're the commanders of Tartaros' military, but they're informally known as "The Birds of Prey". Their nation has been in power for a while, secretly controlling three other nations providing support in return. This left them lazy and greedy, and they demanded more. Eventually, there was a breaking point and the rest of the continent found out about their long-running scheme, leaving these men who are all above 40 to have to fight to keep what they have. The hot-headed Major Kalkoon, the smarmy Major Mingus, Colonel Fregar the jokester, and Colonel Gere, the quiet one. Colonel Dodo is around... somewhere.

And then there's General Swanson, a depressed guy who still shows a lot of respect even to his enemies and empathy and infinite patience with his own men, even when they fail. He's scared and he believes that Tartaros is going to come crashing down, but long ago he was the only one trusted to become king, and he still is the only one. He's caught up in something that he knows is a lot bigger than him and he doesn't see a way to stop a war without having his own nation collapse or engage in a Civil War. He feels trapped, but also rationalizes that he has an obligation to fulfill, so he keeps chuggin along, even though he's like 60.
>>
>>2318257
i would fuck your character 2bh
>>
File: power.webm (2 MB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
power.webm
2 MB, 640x640
>>2318257
Needs thicker quads
>>
>>2318902
lmao she didn't even stand up. Not impressed.
>>
>>2318910
Post your quads
>>
>>2318910
my dick doesn't care
>>
>>2318902
that chick is fucking hot
just the right amount of fit
>>
File: 1440403667422.jpg (111 KB, 924x676) Image search: [Google]
1440403667422.jpg
111 KB, 924x676
>>2318910
I'm sorry anon, do you want compensation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpCbpyVYqnM
>>
>>2318257
>>2318306

Launch your comics now, don`t wait for you to git gud. You`ll get good while drawing the comics, and will learn a lot about creating comics in the meantime. Your art is fine, don`t be discouraged by anatomic errors or anything like that.

What if no one likes your comics? So what? You create another character, another story and give it a shot. What could you possibly lose doing this? Nothing. There`s no downsides trying it.
>>
>>2319041
muh dick
>>
>>2319041

That straight arm and spread fingers pose looks like it's lifted straight from a manga. Also her proportions look stylized
>>
>>2318353
>Queen Larida
Too on the nose.
>>2318416
>>2318417
>>2318418
>supergirl
I see what you're trying to do. I don't approve of this nonsense.
>>
File: Nora Davis Model 2015.jpg (1 MB, 1613x2000) Image search: [Google]
Nora Davis Model 2015.jpg
1 MB, 1613x2000
>>2319078

I'm just don't have the confidence to right now. I can barely handle perspective, I don't know how to draw horses, I'm still studying castle and fortress interiors, and I have characters that need to be designed. I'd hate to feel guilty for adding yet another shit webcomic to the internet with the likes of CAD and all that stuff. I want to give you guys something really good.

For a change of pace, here's another character. Nora's part of a story where the year is 2199 and it's been over a century since the world had a catastrophic crisis of resources. Things are bouncing back and some cities are practically utopias. But now some are falling back into old habits, and Nora commits corporate espionage on a regular basis to try and keep them in line. She ends up helping corporations out by keeping their practices honest and by handling troublesome companies where production is sub-contracted to. Nora's doing a great thing, but she realizes that she's pretty much fucked because she's basically in a Mexican standoff between her, the corporation she's blackmailing to do right, and their competitors who she's also helping and blackmailing, with the corporations also eager to throw her under the bus should she go too far for their comfort. Should she go into politics? Or start her own business? Or join a government agency? Or keep doing what she's doing? I feel like this premise works because I get the best of both worlds - the insight into the business world and not demonizing business or corporations in general, while also allowing for action-genre supervillains and henchmen, and the chaos when those worlds collide.
>>
File: 1.png (118 KB, 306x655) Image search: [Google]
1.png
118 KB, 306x655
>>2319201
I think this looks better
>>
Bad teeth are almost never appealing and should be reserved for fucked up side characters. The feet look retarded too. Otherwise not a bad design overall.
>>
>>2319201
I remember seeing this in a Batman drawthread on /co/.
I liked the character design for Nora.
You even thought out how to draw her cone head in different angles.
I like that. But I think you should explore your characters even more like your did with Ginger. You did some studies of muscles and applied it to Ginger and her action and attitude. Do the same with Nora and get an understanding of how she works as a "corporate spy".
I'll keep my opinions on your story to myself.
>>
>>2319201
>no broken mouths

y tho

It looks fine to be quite honest family.
>>
>>2319201
Nigga, look at this shit:

http://www.mymangaonline.com/read-online/Onepunch-Man-ONE-Ch-001-Read-Online.html

The guy can barely draw a straight line. And he has made one of the most popular manga right now. The even made an anime of it.Don't wait, put your shit online.

Draw strange horses, wonky perspective, terrible castles and all that shit. Who cares? Put it all out. Draw a lot, and your comic will be successful, and your art will improve. It will improve much faster if you apply it than if you study just because.

I'm saying all this because I think your art is lovely, and you are ready. Some fucking nice gestures here >>2318339

C'mon bro, step up your game
>>
>>2319280
I'm not him but thanks for this
>>
>>2319283
You're welcome bro!
>>
>>2319280
While I agree OP is ready to take these ideas to another level I think One Punch Man is a bad example to anyone wanting to breakout doing their own thing. One Punch Man is that rare astronomical occurrences that would be foolish to emulate. Yeah, put your shit out there, but don't think that because OPM rose to prominence your work will.
>>
>>2319283
I don't want to be a debbie downer but that anon failed to mention OPM was drawn by Yusuke Murata. google him if you don't know who he is.
The guy can barely draw a straight line
This is hilariously wrong. Can barely draw a straight line??? Im laughing in real life. Those pages look that way because he has to meet deadlines. He goes back later and redraws them.
>>
>>2319294
nigga u dumb
>>
>>2319294
OPM was redrawn by Yusuke Murata, but created by One. That being said, OPM didnt become popular until Murata started to redraw it. AND it got even more popular after the anime premiered. With all that in mind, you cant expect the same thing to just happen to your comic.
>>
>>2319294
Anon, hes talking about one's version, murata did the new one
>>
>>2319294
All you had to do was open the damn link
>>
Ross I remember you! What happened to your accounts? You used to do commissions and stuff
>>
>>2319297
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-Punch_Man

>>One-Punch Man (Japanese: ワンパンマン Hepburn: Wanpanman?) is an ongoing Japanese webcomic created by an author using the pseudonym ONE, which began publication in 2009.[3] The series quickly went viral, surpassing 7.9 million hits in June 2012.
>>
>>2319508
What was the point of linking me this?
>>
>>2318340
character design is about unexpected shit, not cliches

>>2318353
>but not one that would be misinterpreted as being some kind of statement on fat positivity or anything like that. So I made her so grossly fat no one could possibly associate any message like that with her.
you poor stupid anon, you're flipping off half your potential audience. who do you think reads webcomics the most? trim /fit/fags?
>>
File: Nora Doodles.jpg (931 KB, 2000x3000) Image search: [Google]
Nora Doodles.jpg
931 KB, 2000x3000
>>2319413

I got burnt out. Plus I wasn't getting the honesty that I wanted regarding my sub-par work, so I went to 4chan and have hung around ever since. This place is more willing to challenge me and say "Hey fuck you, don't be lazy, finish that" and "That's a stupid idea, think of something better".

>>2319534

Can't account for taste.
>>
>>2319700
These are amazingly cute. Keep working hard, anon.
>>
>>2319700
>Plus I wasn't getting the honesty that I wanted
Let me guess Deviantart or maybe Tumblr?
As someone who used DA a lot not getting feedback or getting "good job" and favorites didn't do much to inspire improvement.
>>
>>2319527
What was the point of your comment?
>>
>>2319700
This is lovely, however I'm not very found of how much fat are her legs. I'd try to reduce em a little bit, but that's just my opinion.
>>
>>2319824
Are you retarded?
>>
>>2319831
Are you?
>>
>>2319987

>provides information on a subject to a person that already knows the information
>gets passive aggressive and doesnt give a straight answer when asked why
So I ask again, are you retarded?
>>
>>2320094
Are you mad son? Want some water?
>>
>>2320139
Yeah you're retarded....
>>
>>2320150
So are you...
>>
>>2320168
as well as your mom.
#rekt
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.