[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
RGB color wheel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8
File: rbg.png (16 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
rbg.png
16 KB, 512x512
Can someone explain how this differs from a regular color wheel in mechanics?
>>
all color wheel have the same mechanics just different primaried and a different color for the sum of all its hues.
>>
It doesn't. It's the regular color wheel just calibrated for the widest gamut.
>>
File: color.png (13 KB, 221x251) Image search: [Google]
color.png
13 KB, 221x251
>>2303651
It doesn't?
>>
There's two wheels, depending on medium. But you still mix the exact same colors to get the color you want.
Just primaries are different.
Additive (Light): Red Blue Green
Subtractive (Paint): Red Blue Yellow

The only weird thing is that if you mix red and green light, you'll get yellow.
>>
>>2304158
The subtractive primaries are magenta, cyan and yellow.
>>
http://6.869.csail.mit.edu/fa12/lectures/lecture6/06color2011revision2012.pdf

Look at color spaces on slide 55. There are many ways to represent color, each color wheel has a set of basis vectors to represent a set of visible colors. Depending on which set of vectors you pick you you may be able to represent colors that are not possible with another set.
>>
>>2304134
>blue + green = cyan

kek
>>
>>2303651
>>2303739
>>2304133
Actually, one pretty important difference is that rgb color wheel is used for light displays, so when you combine colours, the value is lightened. Cmy color wheel, being used for pigment, averages out when colours are combined. Surely this would affect how you 'mix' colours.

When you switch to 'cmyk' mode in your computer programs, it's still using the additive rgb color wheel, but simply simulating the possible colour range of actual cmy pigments.
>>
>>2304134
please kill yourself, I have no hope left for you.
>>
>>2304403
>>2304625
In RGB which is what OP asked about green + blue does give cyan, faggots. Perhaps you should apply your own advice on yourselves.
>>
File: JH.png (346 KB, 840x970) Image search: [Google]
JH.png
346 KB, 840x970
>>2304386

regardlesss of all the bla bla

thanks for the link
>>
File: rgbcmyk.jpg (180 KB, 800x510) Image search: [Google]
rgbcmyk.jpg
180 KB, 800x510
>>2304657
They're confused because the rest of your diagram is the typical rby color wheel used for pigments, which are subtractive. One would expect a darker green-blue of value in between the two colours instead of bright cyan. You only get bright cyan there when using the additive rgb color wheel.
>>
>>2304859
Ah, right. That's just because their way of thinking of light is flawed. Color is nothing but electromagnetic waves in the visible spectrum. It doesn't matter if you are doing digital or painting traditional.

Then there's just the matter of the medium. A digital monitor goes from black to white while the traditional color wheel I guess is made for people painting on white canvases.
>>
What's the difference between Value, Lightness, Intensity, and Luma?

Which of them is best to use in a color wheel for the digital artist?
>>
>>2305130
I'm not so sure. If you mix the same two colors in each system, you will get different results. Adding more light creates a broader range of wavelengths and increases the value. Adding more pigments absorbs more light and decreases the value.

I think in terms of the 'mechanics', ie mixing and getting the color you need, rbg really functions differently than cmy or rby.
>>
>>2305864
Value, lightness, and luma are all the same (basically, they may have subtle technical differences related to how things are programmed and computed). They just tell you where the colour is in between black and white. If you put a hue of a certain value beside another hue of the same value, you shouldn't be able to discern which is lighter or darker.

Intensity is like saturation. 255,0,0 is 100% intense red. To have 100% intensity, you must have at least one of r,g,b at 0%. As soon as you have all three, your intensity is decreasing, your colours have been 'adulterated' and you fall towards grey.

It's probably best to just use your instincts when picking colours digitally, just look and point. Individually adjusting the numbers is a waste of time, just understand how it works.
>>
>>2305930
>As soon as you have all three

Here, of course, I mean as soon as you have all three above 0%.
>>
>>2305930
But I can clearly discern that a pure blue is darker than a pure yellow, even at the same "value".
>>2305130
(not this anon btw)
What does "value" actually mean to the computer? It's very different from the way I understand it, To me red and blue have a middle value, halfway to black.
>>
File: Brightness_VS_Value.jpg (61 KB, 800x626) Image search: [Google]
Brightness_VS_Value.jpg
61 KB, 800x626
>>2306011
You mean "brightness". A pure red aka RGB 255,0,0 is roughly a 50% value. Brightness is not the same as Value. Brightness is not a particularly useful term. I made a chart. You can see that a VALUE of 50% can be a "brightness" of 50%, OR 100%, OR any other number. If I drop that pure red's saturation down to 50%, and drop the brightness down to 75%... then I get an ugly pinkish color with a "brightness" of 75% yet the VALUE is still a 50% gray. If I leave the brightness at 75% but bring the saturation back up a little to 80% or something... suddently the value is not 50% gray anymore. It has become a darker value. Brightness and Value, two different things. The "lightness" parameter in photoshop seems to be equal to the grayscale value. But if you have a blue that you want to make a lighter value and you try to use the lightness slider to lighten it up, you'll also get a hue shift. :P
>>
>>2306011
>>2306050
To clarify, yes, a pure blue is darker than a pure yellow, even at the same BRIGHTNESS. The photoshop color picker square thingy does not maintain grayscale values horizontally. Its more diagonal, but kinda wobbly and fucked up. That old Lin Ran tutorial showed how values are laid out in photoshop color picker. image attached
>>
>>2306050
>>2306064
I should probably clarify that I don't use Photoshop, i'm using Krita. Been doing my art in black/white using krita for weeks, but just started experimenting with color, and discovered that krita had 4 different "types" of color pickers that i could use, pic related, and wanted some clarification in plain english on how they're different.

Anyway I honestly still do not understand how i could have meant brightness instead of value. The way I understand it, value IS the brightness of a color (or grey) i.e. where it lies relative between white (light) and black (dark). Some colors (like pure, saturated cyan) lie closer to white than others, whilst some other colors (like pure, saturated blue), lie closer to black than others. Perhaps pure cyan is 60% bright, whilst blue is 40% dark.

My gripe with color pickers, and perhaps the reason why i've only decided to start working on color now, is that they perceive all fully saturated colors as 50% grey. That hue-bar to the right of your color picker is just 50% grey as it's concerned, or halfway between white and black, i.e. 50% bright/dark. Which is not how people perceive color, as indicated in my previous paragraph.
>>
>>2306093
>Perhaps pure cyan is 60% bright, whilst blue is 40% dark.
meant to say
>Perhaps pure cyan is 60% bright, while blue is only 40% bright, darker than cyan.
>>
When you paint traditionally you not only change hue when you add paint but also saturation and value. That means that you have to approach getting the right colors differently.

But about subtractive methods:

Subtractive color methods work based on reflection of a surface, meaning paint absorbs light.

That is fundamentally different from additive the model where we are capable of producing light from a source.

CMYK (k=black) is there because of printing (Done on white so needs to be subtractive). cmy can't reach the same ranges of color but I guess producing those colors of ink was easier or something.

RBY are the 3 primary colors and is traditionally a subtrative color mixing model. It is used in design and is good for getting "pure"colors".

Now RGB is additive. I think green has to do with how the monitor works. So basically we use RGB in our graphic cards for the sake of conversion.
>>
>>2306164 was meant as a reply to >>2305920
>>
>>2306164
Edit: it's not because it's done on white that cmyk needs to be subtractive. that was just my digital approach that got mixed in. It of course needs to be subtractive because it works in paint.
>>
>>2306164
Yes, I agree. I think we solved this thread without it turning into a shitstorm.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.