[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gestures and how they work.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6
File: Gesture Work.jpg (269 KB, 800x846) Image search: [Google]
Gesture Work.jpg
269 KB, 800x846
Best sources to look up gesture videos?
>>
>>2302580
>Gesture work

Those are not gestures. Stop drawing contour lines.
>>
>>2302587
Don't listen to this fucking retard. The image posted captures the action precisely and if that's yours OP you're doing it right, just keep at it.
>>
>>2302597
All I do is listen to Vilppu and among other artists. I made this topic simply because new master academy started making all their videos private.
>>
>>2302597
He's drawing contours which is the only fucking thing you are not supposed to do in a gesture drawing jesus christ.
>>
>>2302605
Calm down, it doesn't matter. If you get the motion, you're fine. There's nothing wrong with capturing the contour as long as it's simplified. Some artists say to find the "line" of motion, others will tell you to jump straight into the contour even for 30 second poses.

In the end, everyone's goal is the same.
>>
>>2302605

Get your head out of your fucking ass, you pretty clearly don't have any idea what you're talking about.
>>
File: afu4.jpg (59 KB, 452x640) Image search: [Google]
afu4.jpg
59 KB, 452x640
>>2302605
>m-muh contours! Not real gestures!

If you can capture the intended movement and pose with clarity in a simple, quick drawing, then you have done a gesture. Doesn't matter if it has a thousand unnecessary construction lines or none at all. Plenty of artists use few inside construction lines because they do it in their head, which allows them to focus more on the shapes / silhouette.
>>
>>2302650
That's not a good example the drawing's stiff as a direct result of drawing contour lines which is again the only thing you are not supposed to do when doing gesture drawing as a matter of fact that's about the only thing you don't do in general when actually drawing something.

>>2302624
Do you even know what the whole point of a gesture drawing is?

>>2302623
It does matter if you want to actually learn how to draw a fluid and free flowing figure.
>>
File: 1416425630444.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1654) Image search: [Google]
1416425630444.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1654
>>2302695
Yes anon, I'm sure you could teach artists like Glen Keane and co a lot about drawing in general and what you are and aren't supposed to do.

Please take a moment and actually think WHY Hampton, Vilppu etc are teaching beginners like yourself that they shouldn't be doing contours. It's not because contours are inherently bad, it's because you don't have the skill nor knowledge yet to do the construction inside your head. When an artist is able to do that, there is no reason for them to do it by the book, as is being taught to rookies like yourself.
>>
>>2302704
Well said
>>
>>2302695

post your mastercraft gestures so we can all see what the fuck a correct gesture drawing is, because I seriously don't see a problem with OP's gestures in regards to the premise of what a gesture drawing is 'supposed' to be.

And please, tell me what the whole point of a gesture drawing is.
>>
File: RvzSotv.jpg (292 KB, 1074x1524) Image search: [Google]
RvzSotv.jpg
292 KB, 1074x1524
>>2302704
Not to mention that doing gestures and figure studies with less construction lines lends itself to learning the more direct way of sketching that you see from lots of japanese animators or artists like Kim Jung Gi, Bumskee, Catbib, Bahi, Zedig, Mignola etc.
>>
>>2302713

Those are some pretty jizzy jazzy drawungs
>>
>>2302587
>>2302605
>>2302695
lel
>>
File: tumblr_mxlt6zyWPd1sqh0kno2_1280.jpg (457 KB, 1200x1575) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mxlt6zyWPd1sqh0kno2_1280.jpg
457 KB, 1200x1575
>>2302735
Yeah, a lot of noobies don't seem to appreciate direct sketching, but it is still a fairly important skill to develop because it trains your ability to visualize more than anything else does.
>>
>>2302713
>>2302763
All of my this. Contour drawing and learning how to draw from life is probably the MOST important thing you'll ever learn in drawing.
>>
File: tumblr_n7s657FUk61qanw3wo9_1280.png (538 KB, 1023x653) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n7s657FUk61qanw3wo9_1280.png
538 KB, 1023x653
>>2302763
>>2302735
Take a look at Bahi for example. He chicken scratches, he sketches in contours, his lines are shit etc, but at the end of the day, if you look at his finished animations, he is a hundred times the draftsman than those /ic/ people obsessed with fancy fine art gestures will ever be.
>>
>>2302695
>being this much of an autist

This is why I come here. To laugh at the idiots.
>>
>>2302767
>Contour drawing
>the most important thing

Let me guess, you copy portraits of famous celebrities.
>>
>>2302796
It is one of the most important things. I like how you also completely missed the part where I said "drawing from life". So, no, to answer your question, I do not copy portraits from famous celebrities.
>>
That poor anon.
All I wanted to know if there was a place to watch gesture drawing demos since master academy has placed most of their important videos on private now.
>>
>>2302861

Proko and Vilppu have 10 minute videos on youtube.
>>
Necro bump
>>
>>2302580
Those aren't gestures, they're smut.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.