[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have read tons of Loomis but I still don't get how you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: mar2.jpg (21 KB, 160x156) Image search: [Google]
mar2.jpg
21 KB, 160x156
I have read tons of Loomis but I still don't get how you are supposed to draw figures in extreme perspective angles. There was something about arcs of movement, but even there it was said that you should try to draw them until they "feel right".

It it really the case that you first memorize anatomy and then based on that knowledge try to imagine how it would look like in perspective and keep drawing and fixing until you will gradually learn to draw it right?
>>
>>2298888

To clarify I meant drawing from imagination, not real life where drawing what you see is enough so long as you can get in the flow.
>>
>>2298890

Also I know about perspective already and that figures should face the vanishing points/eye level etc.
>>
>>2298888

>It it really the case that you first memorize anatomy and then based on that knowledge try to imagine how it would look like in perspective and keep drawing and fixing until you will gradually learn to draw it right?

I'm not really in a position to comment considering I've only just started with figure drawing, but it seems like thats the case. You figure out box/spherical/cylindrical forms and how they look at any angle and pair that with an understanding of proportion and anatomy and continuously draw figures from reference and imagination until it clicks. There will be a point if you keep at at long enough that you can draw pretty convincing figures with no construction lines from imagination and that just comes down to knowing what these forms look like from any angle and "feelin it" based on your knowledge of what it looks like when its properly constructed through simplified forms. I'm sure it involves a shit load of self criticism and feedback from other artists so you are consistently correcting mistakes
>>
>>2298891
Show us your work to know at what level you are.
>>
>>2298888

He also says to sub divide a square to get halfs that way you can reference the half point of the figure when you fit in inside the foreshortened square.

These are all just tools to help you , but there not going to make the drawings by themselves.

You have to learn through hundred to thousands of hours of drawing from life at different angles, remembering what things look like than drawing from imagination and redrawing to fix mistakes.

You should also learn generalized forms, flows of the body and muscles and proportion ahead of any specialized anatomy.
>>
>>2298888
yeah, it's called using reference. You aren't going to be able to do it all that well without it.

You'll be able to get the rough form, but if you want it to look good at all you'll need to get a model.

The biggest beginner mistake is they think professional artist's just pull everything from their head. Almost EVERY professional artist uses ref. Mucha, leyendecker, rockwell, degas, and all the golden era illustrators.

IC will tell you REF IS BAD DERR but they are also all beginners so fuck em.
>>
If you learn your anatomy from the general forms to the intricacies of where each muscle attaches you can actually materialize incredibly accurate anatomical drawings from any angle. It's like putting together a puzzle. If you know where all the pieces go, you can literally put it together in your head and it will be nearly accurate. At that point you can use a reference to work out the smaller details like realistic skin folds/fat deposits etc.

Tldr: NEVER rely on references as a crutch, use them to enhance your imagination.
>>
>>2298888

>I have read tons of Loomis
>read

There is your problem, gotta practice a shitton after.
>>
>>2298888
Damn, if my computer wasn't lagging right now I could sketch some example things in PS. I might try later.
>>
File: AngleExercises.jpg (671 KB, 1800x2034) Image search: [Google]
AngleExercises.jpg
671 KB, 1800x2034
ok my computer's refreshed now so I sketched an example of some exercises that are good for learning to do extreme angles. They have varied names but I know them as Box technique and Coil technique. You need to get good with laying objects in perspective and conveying scale to be able to use them effectively, but once you do, you should be able to visualize any form rotating in space and apply an extreme perspective angle to it. There are others that involve drawing a large box that you can fit the figure inside of by lining it up with the sides of the box and using them the same way you would use a perspective grid. These techniques are pretty much the best ways I know of to learn to do it. Good luck, op!
>>
File: 21-persp2.jpg (477 KB, 2035x1693) Image search: [Google]
21-persp2.jpg
477 KB, 2035x1693
>>2300318
I happened across a pic of someone using the box one I mentioned. If you use any of these techniques, definitely research them first, don't just go off these flawed examples, I just wanted to show you what you should be looking for, instead of relying totally on a loose description.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.