[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can you guys give me some of the best sources for learning h
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
Can you guys give me some of the best sources for learning how to paint with tempera?
It is much cheaper and much faster to work than with oil, so I was thinking in learning firstly how to handle this material. I also know that one can achieve great results with it, for the unfinished paintings of Michelangelo and above all his Tondo Doni are sublime. His Tondo Doni is, in my view, superior to any of Leonardo Madonna’s.

So, can you guys give some books and websites about it (tempera painting; tempera color mixing, etc.)?

In return, I will offer one of the best sites I have found for the classic female nude:

http://en.alisaverner.com/

Pic related: from this website
>>
>>2294198
Tempera is very different from oils so probably won't help you transition very well.

Also the tempera used by old masters is very different from that of today.

I don't think many people use tempera other than the cheap shit when kids in kindergarden play.

You can make your own egg tempera but it's a difficult medium because it dries so quickly.
>>
>>2294206

I was thinking in using that technique called cangiante, where you start with layers of the darker colors and then comes forward with the brighter ones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cangiante

But I don’t know well were to find material.
>>
>>2294209
Like the one used in those russian icon paintings?
>>
>>2294230

Yes, I really think it is the same technique. For example, they start with green-brown-grey backgrounds for the figures, and one of Michelangelo unfinished works shows this (pic related)
>>
File: Michelangelo-Manchester_Madonna.jpg (218 KB, 738x1000) Image search: [Google]
Michelangelo-Manchester_Madonna.jpg
218 KB, 738x1000
>>2294233

forgot pic
>>
>>2294230

But what I really want is to be able to produce figures with aq skin such as the one in the Tondo Doni: like I said before, to me it is even better than Leonardo Madonnas.
>>
>>2294198

bump
>>
>>2294238

this is the best baby I ever saw in a painting
>>
>>2294209
That's not what cangiante means. Cangiante has nothing to do with layers, only with the final effect of colors, where the hue of the light is unexpectedly different from the hue of the middle and/or dark portions. What you're really referring to is a combination of starting with a verdaccio and overpainting with the in varying thickness and opacity, and is not particular to tempera, but is also done in oils. Doni tondo is done in a combination of tempera and oil, with the tempera as the lower layer as it is leaner. It's called verdaccio because it was originally greenish in color though there are later examples of more brownish tones. The rich effect of the Doni Tondo isn't due to the tempera. It's exactly because of the oil.
>>
>>2297858

wow, thank you.

Can you speak more about the Doni Tondo? And can you point to me a source to understand what cangiante is? I am still confused.
>>
>>2298077
Cangiante to my knowledge always refers to drapery in Renaissance art, where it is called changeant in English, and the drapery is said to be "shot-colored" because it has other colors of threads that are integrated into it. I don't know who first said that cangiante is one the canonical techniques of Renaissance, but it's extreme examples are situational. Vasari writes about cangiante when describing the drapery in certain paintings throughout his Vite. There's also reference to it in the section about painting in his Introduction when talking about drapery, although I don't recall if he calls it cangiante. Cennini also said something about it when talking about drapery of angels. I don't have any links, I'm only writing from memory.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.