[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /ic/. Gonna dump some paintings, starting with my most recent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 38
File: supper_.jpg (4 MB, 1647x2000) Image search: [Google]
supper_.jpg
4 MB, 1647x2000
Sup /ic/. Gonna dump some paintings, starting with my most recent works. Let me know what you think.
>>
File: hog.jpg (716 KB, 1577x2000) Image search: [Google]
hog.jpg
716 KB, 1577x2000
>>
>>2292356
>>2292357
is there any more?

those two are pretty dead. working from photographs and imagination sucks all the life out of painting. You aren't painting light like you should be. The images are piercing straight through the layers of light that would naturally be in front of what you are viewing. Gives everything a really dead look. Look at the impressionists and post-impressionists to get a better idea of what I mean.
>>
>>2292356
They're pretty nice, you're better than me at rendering things out. However even I can see that your perspective is fucked, you really need to work on that.
>>
File: 0.jpg (2 MB, 2321x1146) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
2 MB, 2321x1146
>>2292368
Lots more. This one is from life.
>>
>>2292368
also you are samefacing hard. maybe practice capturing likeness so your figures stand apart a bit more.

when you paint someone's likeness it should "read" as the person. It shouldn't read as "human" it should read as "steve buscemi" or whatever. Think of it as painting their name, and not painting their face.
>>
>>2292371
neato
>>
>>2292368
>working from photographs and imagination sucks all the life out of painting
I agree, and I see that especially the first painting I posted. I think the problem is not that I worked from photographs, but that I used so many photographs for the different parts, and even multiple photographs for each figure, instead of organizing the entire scene and having a solid, holistic reference. though of course working from life would be ideal.
>The images are piercing straight through the layers of light that would naturally be in front of what you are viewing
not sure what this means though.
>>
>>2292372
that's from using the same two models for all of the figures. lesson learned, I plan to use unique models for each figure in future work.
>>
File: the_temptation_of_st__anthony.jpg (1 MB, 3195x2380) Image search: [Google]
the_temptation_of_st__anthony.jpg
1 MB, 3195x2380
>>
>>2292378
camera's don't see light the same way eyes see light. like you said, working from life is ideal. the more you observe nature the more silly photographs will seem. Even tomorrow, watch the sunset and observe the colors in the sky, then take a picture of the sunset, and see how big a difference it makes. photographs don't see things the same way you do.
>>
File: adam.jpg (1 MB, 2165x3263) Image search: [Google]
adam.jpg
1 MB, 2165x3263
>>
File: fever_pitch.jpg (637 KB, 1600x1190) Image search: [Google]
fever_pitch.jpg
637 KB, 1600x1190
>>
File: 2.jpg (4 MB, 2279x1829) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
4 MB, 2279x1829
>>
File: squiggle.jpg (281 KB, 800x1003) Image search: [Google]
squiggle.jpg
281 KB, 800x1003
>>
File: golgotha.png (2 MB, 785x1200) Image search: [Google]
golgotha.png
2 MB, 785x1200
>>
File: dragon_mural.jpg (204 KB, 593x1200) Image search: [Google]
dragon_mural.jpg
204 KB, 593x1200
>>
>>2292371
This looks great, but like the other anaon said, you can't do perspective well, or people for that matter, life drawing and outdoor sketches would help you.
>>
File: selfportrait.png (1 MB, 704x900) Image search: [Google]
selfportrait.png
1 MB, 704x900
>>2292402
red lines are appreciated for anything that's really sticking out at you. perspective is something I'll work on, thanks.
>>
File: portrait_of_a_young_woman.jpg (146 KB, 698x900) Image search: [Google]
portrait_of_a_young_woman.jpg
146 KB, 698x900
>>
>>2292404
The fan stood out immediately, but subtle things like the ellipses on the glasses aren't quite right and ruin the illusion.

It's hard to put into words, but I think your biggest problem is considering everything as a single "thing", and not related to one another through shade and atmosphere.
>>
>>2292356
>>2292371
The recurring bizarre crocodile cracks me up.
Anyway I can't really add any insight that hasn't already been said. I like your work, and you seem aware of your weaknesses, so I'd love to see how you improve in the future.
>>
>>2292404
>>2292397
These two are my faves. Just for some perspective: you're better than most people on here.

One thing I would try doing in your finished work is using more contrast in the level of detail, sharpness, and rendering. The paintings are generally at the same level all over, and perhaps it tends to flatten everything.

This effect is combined with a slightly cartoony look to everything. I don't know what it is, but everything looks rounded and mushy and I find myself looking for more sharply defined areas, shapes and boundaries. I get the feeling this effect is something semi-conscious and a bit of a stylistic choice, but I thought I'd bring it up anyways. Maybe something to work on would be abstract compositions.
>>
>>2292464
>Just for some perspective: you're better than most people on here.
i believe the agreed upon percentage is "better than 90.677% of /ic/"
>>
>>2292404
>>2292406
the rest are pretty bland but maaaaan are these two bad.

i think you should focus on figure drawing and portrait drawing. you have all these landscape ones and tableaus with figures but you really need a better grasp on drawing people.

maybe just have people come over and pose for portraits instead of taking photographs of them and copying those into these really overly busy scenes.
>>
File: re.png (664 KB, 905x517) Image search: [Google]
re.png
664 KB, 905x517
>>2292356
I would like to know what this is about. A good question that you should ask people should be: How do you interpret my paintings?
In this one I'm really not sure what you're trying to say, a title would help. (don't feel bad if people don't get this, I'm in an art college and the audience often doesn't see what the artist is trying to convey)
Honestly with the combination of the iced tea and the crocodiles eating nigger heads I would assume that this is a piece about racism in the south. They look pretty white and have trashy knick knacks, are eating kind of gross looking southern food plus the ducks and hiteous wallpaper. I'd say this is a critique on the south.
Stuff to improve: Perspective, its hard to tell exactly where you're messing up here but I have to admit it looks off. I think the biggest problem is actually the dishes on the center table. They look very tiny. If objects appear smaller in the distance then the viewer assumes that:
That dish of corn you would paint even shorter if it were directly beside the old man. Right now it is about the heigth of 1/4 of his head but if we were to push it back further in space next to him it would diminsh to 1/8th.
I think. Trust me, it looks weird. The two square dishes are in 1 pt perspective but at two different points, yet their center lines appear to be going into the same point.
I really don't know how to explain all this, its all in my head and I'm having trouble putting it into words.
Basically,
Did you bother to set up a perspective grid before you started this? If no, then obv. do that.
If you did set up a grid:
Get someone else to look at it before you go into the painting stage and before you start sketching to a couple of studies of a dinner setting. Sorry if my words got all mixed up, you better appreciate this cause I have shit to do but I see you have potential and only really need to keep working and grinding out paintings to get better.
>>
>>2292479
Don't listen to this anon, they're not that bad and I think they're pretty consistent with the level you are portraying otherwise. I really think you just need to work on everything collectively hence me saying "just keep making paintings you will get better". /ic/ puts a ridiculous amount of importance on things being anatomically correct. This is due to the fact that they concentrate on commercial art which is pretty much 80% characters.
>>
>>2292490
There is a clear pattern of poor draughtsmanship in all of his work. He doesn't need to "just keep painting", he needs to study proper drawing as well.

OP is very capable in some ways but his poor drawing skill is letting him down and stopping him from excelling.
>>
>>2292511
DRAFT
you third world mother fucker.
kek "draught" like the beer.
>>
>>2292515
Say 'draughtsmanship' with an english accent, and it'll click
>>
>>2292515
>draught (n) c. 1200, from Old English *dreaht, *dræht, related to dragan "to draw, drag" (see drag (v.)). Oldest sense besides that of "pulling" is of "drinking." It retains the functions that did not branch off with draft (q.v.).

>oldest sense being to draw-from, to pull
>drinking is pulling from a cup
>drawing is pulling a line with a pencil
>draught literally is pronounced 'draw it'

Just Draught.
>>
File: creek_rocks.png (1 MB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
creek_rocks.png
1 MB, 1000x750
>>2292464
>One thing I would try doing in your finished work is using more contrast in the level of detail, sharpness, and rendering
yeah, that's potentially my biggest weak point right now, I have a tendency to over-render and over-detail the entire image. I've slowly been learning to let stuff fade into the background, use soft and lost edges, etc.

>>2292479
I'm at an art center and have access to figure drawing classes, but I'm low on cash so I might just get the girlfriend to pose for me. due to all the feedback ITT I think I'll try painting a large figure from life in the near future.
>>
File: gorilla.jpg (378 KB, 1024x1174) Image search: [Google]
gorilla.jpg
378 KB, 1024x1174
>>2292487
>a title would help
Title is the filename. "Supper" refers to the meal the family is sharing, the alligator's dinner, and the image of the last supper in the upper right of the back wall.
>Honestly with the combination of the iced tea and the crocodiles eating nigger heads I would assume that this is a piece about racism in the south
Pretty accurate.

The alligator is an actual ceramic object in my grandmother's home (I'm from Alabama). We ate every Sunday dinner at her house with the alligator staring at us from the corner of the room, but no one really mentioned it. I wanted to do a huge painting of the object (the canvas is 6 feet by 5 feet) to draw attention to this overlooked piece of racist kitsch, and lingering racist attitudes in the South generally. The days of slavery and lynching are gone, but the racist attitudes are still there, they've just become more subtle, harder to identify, or confined to the home.

>Did you bother to set up a perspective grid before you started this?
nope. a big problem with this painting in particular was my lack of planning on the front end. It taught me a valuable lesson- whatever you don't take care of in the planning and sketch, you'll have to tackle in the middle of painting, and it will be twice as difficult to fix.

Thanks for the feedback.
>>
File: angel.png (1 MB, 703x900) Image search: [Google]
angel.png
1 MB, 703x900
I'll post a couple of older works from life before I head out, thanks for the feedback d/ic/ks.
>>
File: shed.png (1 MB, 900x680) Image search: [Google]
shed.png
1 MB, 900x680
>>
File: 1381176234895.gif (33 KB, 300x275) Image search: [Google]
1381176234895.gif
33 KB, 300x275
>>2292371
The crocodile eating a nigger is hilarious
>>
>>2292382
Thats pretty fucking metal, you should get some of that glow in the dark paint and highlight this piece.
>>
File: bouquet.png (2 MB, 865x1200) Image search: [Google]
bouquet.png
2 MB, 865x1200
>>2292671
I had that exact suggestion two days ago.
>>
File: nectar.jpg (173 KB, 800x1068) Image search: [Google]
nectar.jpg
173 KB, 800x1068
>>2292663
I was going for more "horrendous" than "hilarious", but I guess the object is imbued with a dark humor that can't be suppressed.
>>
>>2292994
do you actually have the corcodile sculpture?
>>
File: hof_mrfuji.jpg (15 KB, 642x361) Image search: [Google]
hof_mrfuji.jpg
15 KB, 642x361
>>2292994
>dark humor
>>
File: abomination.jpg (151 KB, 633x800) Image search: [Google]
abomination.jpg
151 KB, 633x800
>>2293014
Yes. The painting is in a gallery right now, and the crocodile is on a pedestal in front of the painting.

>>2293021
I knew I should have gone with "gallows humor"
>>
>>2293030
is it a mone of kind thing or mass produced? also do you have some photos of it maybe?
>>
File: img.jpg (1 MB, 2271x1548) Image search: [Google]
img.jpg
1 MB, 2271x1548
>>2293032
It's mass-produced, ceramic from a mold. my grandmother bought it in New Orleans, which is notorious for selling racist kitsch. That was decades ago, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were still shops in Louisiana selling stuff like this.
>>
Nice paintings OP! I don't have much to suggest, perhaps focus more on your drawing and paint more from life and perhaps try to do some glazing or something to bring in an extra layer of interest and depth to your work. Right now the colours feel pretty dead.
>>
>>2293036
thanks, love it! based grandmother you have.
>>
>>2293036
It's the most interesting thing in your paintings tbqphwy senpai, the ones without it seem lacking, you should include it in every new painting you do.
>>
File: out_of_the_eater.png (739 KB, 1024x512) Image search: [Google]
out_of_the_eater.png
739 KB, 1024x512
>>2293041
she's a product of her time. hopefully hers is the last generation to decorate the home with violently racist objects.
>>
>>2293044
idk, but there is something nice about the sculpture besides just the racism
>>
I would be really interested to see your work flow. Do you have any step by step shots of your painting process? Also how long does it typically take you to finish a piece?
>>
>>2292391
>>2292397
>>2292994
>>2292990
>>2293044

these are pretty spectacular (to me at least)
>>
>>2292527
>I'm at an art center and have access to figure drawing classes, but I'm low on cash so I might just get the girlfriend to pose for me. due to all the feedback ITT I think I'll try painting a large figure from life in the near future.

Even if it's not a large figure, some more portraits or figure drawings on medium sized paper would be more interesting to me than this kind of faux-graffiti you are doing on most of these.

it all just seems a bit masturbatory, and gives me the impression you place too much importance on individual pieces and not enough on your portfolio as a whole. Every still life is a million weird objects on textured cloth. Cezanne made beautiful paintings just using fruit on wood tables. It doesn't have to be "this is everything I'm capable of"

And the thing that bugs me the most is that on your self portrait >>2292404
you didn't even incorporate any of the stuff you include in every other painting with the landscapes and weird objects.

I can't tell if it's just a put-on to appease millennials who like overly busy concept art/graffiti. Do you actually like just painting simple portraits?

idk that just stuck out to me as very schizophrenic.

What I would like to see from you as a fan of your potential is more simple compositions, more simple subject matter, more beautiful paint application, and more precise drawing. The kitchen sink approach to painting doesn't impress me, and kind of pushes me away from your work.
>>
>>2293044
Wow, the lighting is really nice on this one.
>>
File: a_day_at_the_beach.jpg (152 KB, 900x735) Image search: [Google]
a_day_at_the_beach.jpg
152 KB, 900x735
>>2293244
>Every still life is a million weird objects on textured cloth
you mean the this one image?:
>>2292371
>masturbatory, and gives me the impression you place too much importance on individual pieces and not enough on your portfolio as a whole
not sure what this means.
>Cezanne made beautiful paintings just using fruit on wood tables
he did. he was also cezanne.
>the thing that bugs me the most is that on your self portrait, you didn't even incorporate any of the stuff you include in every other painting with the landscapes and weird objects.
It's just a study of my face on an 8x10 canvas, nothing more.
>that just stuck out to me as very schizophrenic.
wut

I appreciate the input that these works seem busy. I'll consider that going forward, but I'm not going to be dropping my "faux-graffiti millenial- appeasing" style to paint apples.
>>
File: wip.jpg (252 KB, 1914x400) Image search: [Google]
wip.jpg
252 KB, 1914x400
>>2293113
I have a few examples of my process on older works, I no longer stop to photograph the steps.
>>
>>2292356
This first one in the OP very much reminds me of going down to visit my grandmother or aunts down in North Carolina. Or going to my ex-girlfriend's family gathering one time. Lower class southern homes. The kitschy figurines and stuff hanging on walls. Wall paper. Custardy veggie goop in white dishes. Iced tea. Religiousness. I always felt like an alien observing some bizarro alternate universe. Having the scene be a reflection instead of the genuine article is tickling that feeling of being an outsider/observer for me. And the way the kitschy objects are in focus also reminds me of just starring at weird junk like this quizzically when I was a kid at my grandma's home, while the adults were off in the background doing whatever. This painting is tickling my brain man.
>>
>>2293524
>I'm not going to be dropping my "faux-graffiti millenial- appeasing" style to paint apples
i know, which is a shame, cause i bet you'd do some great simpler paintings.

unrelated but do you have any drawings you could post? oil paintings are great but some drawings would be cool too
>>
File: sketches.jpg (72 KB, 890x400) Image search: [Google]
sketches.jpg
72 KB, 890x400
>>2293594
>unrelated but do you have any drawings you could post?
not really, the only sketches I've made lately are rough studies for paintings, otherwise I'm working in oil paint or digital art or ceramic. Here are a few figure studies from last year, ~15 min. a piece.
>>
>>2293036
racism isnt funny you bidet of a human
>>
>>2293966
why post this
>>
>>2293977
terry crews, ben carson and alphonse dunn would like to have a word with you, mr. keyboard warrior.
>>
>>2293970
It's called trolling. It happens on the internet.
>>
>>2294001
underage pls leave
>>
>>2293966
No shit. The painting isn't supposed to be funny.
>>
File: houseplant.png (1 MB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
houseplant.png
1 MB, 750x1000
>>
File: badtrip.png (1 MB, 900x716) Image search: [Google]
badtrip.png
1 MB, 900x716
>>
File: cave_critters.png (491 KB, 541x700) Image search: [Google]
cave_critters.png
491 KB, 541x700
>>
incredible dude. where can I follow you
>>
>>2292357

The perspective is off, but I enjoy the color and texture regardless.

>>2292371

Jelly, I have trouble getting fabric to look like fabric

>>2292391

Mildly disturbing yet oddly satisfying.

>>2292397

Weird, but I like it!

>>2292535

Mirin' & also jelly as fuck. My only quip is maybe to have added some subtle complementary greens to the shadows of the fabric, but that's more my personal taste then anything else.

>>2292990
It's weird, I like it, but the fabric is off and I suggest you do some fabric studies because it's coming off more fleshy then it is fabric(might be the color as well)

>>2293030
Like this one and the colors(I'm going through a mild moth phase so I enjoy them)

>>2293036
I love this. Reminds me of the dolls my aunt and mom would send each other-African/Caribbean dolls that were very old fashioned.

>>2293044
Mirin' that lighting. You're really touching that surreal feeling with this one, but the edge of the land touching the water is off.

>>2294077

The woman's size is at odds with the tub. It looks like she should either be up more, or smaller entirely because proportionally her legs would be clipping through the floor.
That, and the office chair seems really, really low. Other then those things I like it.

>>2294079

Like this one a lot
I'd post my work but I'm not good nor have anything really to show.
>>
>>2294081
I really like this, nice 1 anon
>>
>>2292404
What are you, an hipster or something? cut that stupid fucking beard
>>
>>2296080
I keep it much shorter these days. You know that beards naturally grow on men's faces and it's been that way since we lived in caves, right? Besides, it goes well with my flannel and skinny jeans.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (360 KB, 899x1342) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
360 KB, 899x1342
>>2294416
Good points, especially about the fabric texture in the floral still life and the oddities of the shower scene. Thanks for the feedback.
>>
File: lowe_mill_mural.jpg (225 KB, 1024x655) Image search: [Google]
lowe_mill_mural.jpg
225 KB, 1024x655
>>2294406
paintpixelprint.deviantart
>>
>>2296130
As the "reality" in the painting is viewed from above, the clouds should also be that, right now it seems they are leaning backwards
>>
>>2296126
I like the chunky planar approach you take, but this just doesn't feel that well observed. The proportions and construction are all slightly off. Compare this to a Lucian Freud to see how this aesthetic combined with intense observation and honesty can lead to great art.
>>
>>2296126
Somehow your ear seems added later in both pics, or they look out of perspective.
Is this correct?
>>
File: desert_flower.jpg (208 KB, 716x1000) Image search: [Google]
desert_flower.jpg
208 KB, 716x1000
>>2296149
t's iso, at that angle you'd never see the horizon or sky. I broke perspective where I feel it needed it. The clouds can lean whichever way they want so long as they face the viewer.
>>2296156
It's far from perfect, just a quick 8x10 for practice. Freud works his canvases for an insane amount of time. I'll try a more involved portrait at some point in the future to push those observational skills.
>>2296167
It's painted the same time as the rest of the face, I think the sideburns make it feel a little separate, and I've probably misjudged the size and placement a bit.
>>
>>2296247

I've seen your stuff before, I love it, do you have anywhere you keep it off-site?

You're like the only traditional artist worth a shit here
>>
File: 000.jpg (1 MB, 1500x992) Image search: [Google]
000.jpg
1 MB, 1500x992
I also sculpt on occasion. These are collaborative works, my girlfriend throws the jug and I sculpt the faces and glaze.
>>
File: mutantmug.jpg (1 MB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
mutantmug.jpg
1 MB, 1200x900
>>2296249
I keep my deviantart up to date
paintpixelprint.deviantart.com
>>
>>2296252
That large very dark one in the back right with the angry eyebrows is the best by far. Cool stuff.
>>
File: chunk.jpg (1004 KB, 898x1200) Image search: [Google]
chunk.jpg
1004 KB, 898x1200
>>2296260
Thanks. I prefer the largest jug on the left, but I think both were successful.
>>
what pays your bills?
>>
File: pugmug.jpg (1 MB, 1200x902) Image search: [Google]
pugmug.jpg
1 MB, 1200x902
>>2296276
Selling art and working part time at an art center.
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 38

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.