[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cintiqs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 10
File: wacom.jpg (46 KB, 630x427) Image search: [Google]
wacom.jpg
46 KB, 630x427
Are Cintiqs worth the price compared to other tablets on the market?

What is a better alternative?
>>
>>2289262
unless you plan on doing a ton of finished digital linework, you are fine just getting an intuos not a cintiq
>>
>>2289266
I have an Intuos right now, but I'm looking for something that I can draw on digitally without having to look up at the screen.
>>
>>2289278

Then get a cintiq if you insist on having a display with your tablet.

The alternative is a Huion for cheaper. Just know that if you get it you're rolling the dice on software headaches.
>>
>>2289262
I have used every cintiq made, other than the companions.

I recently bought the yiynova msp19ru with the yiynova swivel arm. Got it all for less than $400 and it's easily comparable to a 22HD.

The pens are a bit eh, but the newest pen feels really good. They do require 1 AAA battery but so far I haven't had to replace the battery and I have had it for a few months now.
>>
>>2289262
No. Get a Samsung 7 Series Slate.
>>
>>2289262
I don't know about the alternatives but i can say the cintiq lines are really really nice. I heard a lot of people who weren't convinced by them. But most of them didn't try to use them for a month. I'm pretty sure that once you adapted your workflow to the screen and the slicky surface, you really don't want to go back.
I had the old cintiq 12 inch first. The colours calibration weren't that good, yet it still was really nice to paint on. It was ok, but honestly it's not that much better then an intuos, especially if you have a better screen.
But since then i've got the 24hd, and let me tell you. It's a lot of money, but i don't regret any penny of it. It's really something else to have this big ass screen in front of you. It makes you really enjoy painting in a way an intuos never could.
Do you need it, absolutely not. But you don't need a ferrari either, but boy is it fun to drive it.

I really don't know about the cheaper made tablets. But it would be nice if they could give wacom iven a little competition because they really are expensive.
>>
>>2289262
no

http://www.amazon.com/GT-190-Digital-Display-Graphics-Tablets/dp/B00LA0NONE
>>
File: sketch.jpg (39 KB, 232x359) Image search: [Google]
sketch.jpg
39 KB, 232x359
>>2289392
I am using one RIGHT THE FUCK NOW and no, do not get a samsung series 7 slate. 256 levels is ok for dicking around but the CPU and RAM are just too god damn slow.

Not to mention no hotkeys so you have to have a keyboard anyways. The paintdock is cute but takes up even more of the already limited screen space.

>current sketch on the slate
>>
>>2289404
anyone have any good experience with tablets used for drawing? heard the samsung note 12 was pretty good
>>
Yiynova MSP19U or 22U are pretty good.

It took me awhile to get the software working but it works fine now, the only problem is the cord is connected to the unit and sometimes it seems the plug inside of it isn't sitting right but just jostling the cord usually fixes it
>>
>>2289278
Don't think that cintiq's are just more convenient in everyway. Remember that its doubling as both your drawing space AND your desktop, so there's a lot of awkwarding around dealing with that fact. You'll also need to find a solution to where you're doing to put your keyboard, which is a pain in the ass. You might find yourself missing the fact that you can still just fuck around on your computer with non display models.
>>
>>2289404
What in the literal fuck is going on with her clavical/sternocleidomastoid connection?
>>
>>2289426
yeah it's called a pen and paper.
>>
File: rough.jpg (31 KB, 221x300) Image search: [Google]
rough.jpg
31 KB, 221x300
>>2289439
its a rough sketch anon, tone down your edge lord you sound like a massive faggot.
>>
I have a 20" Yiynova. No complaints here. Works with my animation and art programs just fine.
>>
>>2289447
I don't think I sounded edgy, I mean that's what it's called
>>
>>2289390
Every thread has that one guy who swears by the cheap knockoffs.No they are not even remotely comparable.
They all have 3rd rate screens that typically have 2 out 3 of the following:
1. light bleed
2. dead pixels
3. color inaccuracy
add in old pen tech, shit warranty, and bad build quality and you most certainly get what you pay for.
>>
>>2289493
have you used it?

Cus you obviously haven't. The msp19u is fan fucking tastic. No dead pixels, great color reproduction, and none of this light bleed shit you complain about.

Bad build quality? Again, you haven't used it. The thing is solid and works great on the swivel arm. There aren't any hotkeys on it, but I never used those when I paint on a cintiq either.

I have used a 21, 12, 13HD, 22HD, and 24HD cintiqs and the msp19u is just as good as them.

But yknow, I have experience. For whatever that counts for.
>>
>>2289493
>>2289505

Also if you get the yiynova from panda city or amazon they have a great warranty on it.

Don't even fucking talk about warranties when dealing with wacom. I have had half a dozen intous die from shitty construction on the USB ports.
>>
>>2289506
The team behind Yiynova has amazing customer service. They are willing to spend immeasurable amounts of time with you for even the simplest problem.

>>2289493
>Light bleed
Not sure what this is, desu. Wait, I just googled it. Yeah, I got none of that.
>Dead pixels
I got none. Now, I have some on my computer, and they annoy the shit out of me. I think they are dust and shit. Never rubs off.
>Color inaccuracy
I think my colors are actually more accurate on my Yiynova than my computer itself. Though the difference is minimal anyway.
Now, I do have some complaints about Yiynova:
Doesn't work with some programs. I had to move from Toonboom 4.5 to Harmony 10. This weird thing with aspect ratio. It's fine in the middle of the screen, but once I get to that last 1/4 inch, I have to move my mouse further to select what I want. This is rather weird.

That said, Yiynova seems to have a dedicated team behind them working out bugs, or so they say. I think it's been ages since they released a new tablet.

--Yiynova MSP19U+
>>
>>2289506
Sorry, I'm not willing to play the rma lottery with these things especially when you are getting a mediocre tablet.
I am well aware of wacom issues and am in no way endorsing their bs
>>
>>2289522
you're a massive fucking idiot. RMA lottery? You're literally just making shit up at this point

Mediocre tablet? The fuck? It's a fantastic display with 2048 levels. It's amazingly smooth and works just as well as any of the cintiqs.

You are just pulling shit out of your ass at this point.
>>
>>2289564

Yea that guy is retarded. I inherited this MSP19u from my gf when she sidegraded to a 13HD for portability reasons.

She used it heavily for over 1.5 years and it's still working like a champ. All I had to do was replace the pen battery and nib.
>>
>>2289568
See, I bought mine second hand for only $250~. Bought the $100 swivel arm to make it more like the 24HD cintiq and I wasn't expecting much. I was absolutely blown away by the quality of the thing.
>>
>>2289440
>he draws with pens
>>
>>2290184

what a helpful post
>>
File: 31+C0iBZMFL._SX466_.jpg (10 KB, 466x312) Image search: [Google]
31+C0iBZMFL._SX466_.jpg
10 KB, 466x312
i have an old bamboo fun tablet from like 2008. is it still worth anything?
>>
>>2290411
maybe like $20 if that
>>
>>2289438
What are you talking about? Most people that have a computer have a monitor correct? Buying a cintiq does not suddenly disable the use of that monitor and you probably have space for the keyboard off to the right or left.

Now if you're talking about the companion that's a bit of a different story, but regardless you're taking an unnecessarily negative outlook on it.

I have a cintiq 13 hd connected to a 15 inch macbook pro and literally could not be happier. With even a small desk I have enough room to have the laptop just off to the left behind the cintiq so I have easy access to the keyboad and when I need to I can always just move the tablet over and type more freely. The ONLY problem I have is that the cintiq's wires are super cumbersome and can sometimes be a hassle to figure out where to lay them.
>>
>>2290411
It's worth trying to break it in half to see how strong you are.
>>
>>2289439
ooop rare autist showed up in the thread
>>
File: KIMG0010.jpg (2 MB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0010.jpg
2 MB, 1944x2592
Critique me. Having rough time trying to get my idea out...
>>
File: IMG_20151012_102052.jpg (22 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151012_102052.jpg
22 KB, 320x320
Lost...
>>
File: 1383163042484.png (35 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1383163042484.png
35 KB, 700x700
>>2289439

Classic /ic/ anatomy master shitpost

"OMG how do draw the radius so close to the ulna??? its like u don't even know how long the radioscaphoid ligament would have to be to make that work. gosh"
>>
File: FB_IMG_1445890109633.jpg (21 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1445890109633.jpg
21 KB, 540x720
I need help with dynamic poses, drawing cloth on figure, and anatomy.

Transitioning from underlay, to volume, to final product I get stuck between the volume drawing the body then clothes.
>>
This is some str8 up bullshit mane, patience is not my virtue....
>>
>>2290639

>complaining about 13hd's giant fucking hydra cord

confirmed for knowing what he is talking about
>>
File: 1427408511663.jpg (575 KB, 1750x2097) Image search: [Google]
1427408511663.jpg
575 KB, 1750x2097
>live in a 3rd world country
>Cintiq got stolen
>Too depressed to grab pen and paper
>>
>>2290760
Holy shit, what country are you living in? Uganda?
>>
>>2289438
This guy is a retard.

Computers support multiple monitors.

You can get a one handed thing to hold like a PC remote for the hotkeys too, or do like I do and just hold a controller in your hand.

Kill yourself faggot.
>>
So, when is companion 3 estimated to come out?
>>
>>2289262
I can't tell you if it's worth it compared to other tablets with a display, but it's definitely worthwhile getting a tablet with a display if your entire workflow is digital. Sketching/Lineart feels a lot better when you can see what you're doing.
>>
Cintiq thread? I bought a first gen Companion Hybrid (because it used to be the only one you could plug into your PC and the first gen Companion's specs sucked too much to go without that feature) and, since it's the first and last in the line to use Android, there's no apps that are decent for portable use. What the fuck do I do with it now?
>>
>>2291870
Sell it or use it as a Cintiq 13HD.

Seeing a mobile OS on it should've been a red flag that: a) you won't have many good software options, and b) what exists will lose support at a much faster turnaround than a proper OS.
>>
I assume you're talking about the Companion, and not the desktop Cintiqs, right OP?

I have a first gen Companion that I use for work (contractor, have to provide my own shit) and I really love it. Before this, I had a first gen Surface Pro, which was nice, but had spotty latency and was too small for my liking.

Cintiq's got fantastic brush tracking and it handles multiple Adobe products at once with no hitches in performance at all. I can be making shit in After Effects while changing graphics in Illustrator and have 20+ chrome tabs open and won't have any slowdown, delay, etc. Depending on the software I'm using I won't even use a keyboard and mouse (I mapped my common Clip Studio Paint functions to the different buttons)

Comes with a travel case and pen case with a shitload of pentips, which is great. Original can output to a second monitor, which I do at work, while the new one can do that AND hook up to a desktop.

Here are my gripes:
>speakers are the worse than Drive-Thru speakers
They're just awful. I have to show animation stuff to people at work and we can never hear shit, so I end up telling them to look at it on their computers instead. Normally, I have headphones anyways, but it's still annoying.

>Really crummy stand
So, the stand it better than the Surface Pro stands because it actually has a horizontal base, meaning you can use this on your lap. But the way it locks is really awful. Once it's locked, it's sturdy enough to put as much force as you want on the tablet, but locking it is sometimes a pain.

>bulk
This is not a thin or light tablet. It's large and heavy, which means I need to make sure any messenger bags I buy can fit it, and that their straps are durable enough to carry it. Maybe I just buy really shitty bags. Anyway this is definitely not something I use on the crowded subway and it takes up a lot of space at coffee shops. It's the price you pay for a big screen with express keys

It's still my favorite possession, but it has drawbacks
>>
>>2291958
(cont. because character limit.)
I'd say if you're really dedicated to digital drawing (either that's you job, or your concentration at school or whatever), the Companions are excellent with the caveat that you need a little extra elbow room if you're using this on the go.

I'd say avoid tablets with mobile OSes; I've drawn on Android. It's kinda mushy, and the software just isn't very sophisticated beyond Sketchbook Pro. I hear the Apple Pencil is crazy precise, but having owned an iPhone once, I know that file management isn't great on that device, and the drawing apps don't do enough to build my confidence. I'm happy someone's at least sticking it to Wacom in a big way, though. They've been too comfortable for too long.

>>2291870
>not getting the Companion or Companion 2
>using any mobile OS for drawing
Well, it'd probably make a good doorstop
>>
>>2291960
This was at least a year before the Companion 2 was announced and the original Companion couldn't handle 3D sculpting applications very well with it's specs or be plugged into a better PC. In hindsight, I should've gotten a larger, regular cintiq since the only art app that ever got anywhere close to being decent (layerpaint, if anyone here's got a reason to try it) still really sucked.
>>
Im actually looking at getting a Yynova or whatever a well. The big V3s look super cool but theres also a little older black version for like 449. Whats your thoughts on them?
>>
>>2292074
Bumping to know which versions are the latest and which are better
>>
Never get another brand other than wacom, Chinese people can't code proper drivers for shit
>>
hey can anyone help me, i have a ugee and the driver isnt working, is there such thing as a universal driver or something else i could use?
>>
>>2292405
the yiynova drivers are just as good as any wacom driver.

Which isn't saying much. Wacom's drivers are fucking terrible.

You clearly haven't used anything other than a wacom.
>>
>>2290685
I swear to god they like shapeshift or they're alive or something because I can NEVER find a suitable way to lay them across my table without being all up in my grill.
>>
>>2292494
swivel arm ma nigga. makes any painting display a million times better.
>>
>>2291958
I hear so many people complain about the stand, yet I've not had a single problem with it and I actually think it works quite well. Granted I'm not a fan of the plastic look or feel, but like you said it gives you all the support you could ever need and it has rubber on the bottom to keep it in place. One thing that does bug me that other people don't seem to notice (and it ruins the stand as a result) is that when you have it set to the second or third heights, the bottom of the tablet itself (not the stand) comes into contact with the table, this puts a lot of stress on the underside of the stand and wind up separating the metal backing from the bottom of it and breaking the plastic bit that attaches it to the bottom of the tablet. Nobody but me seems to be aware of this.

What I believe you're supposed to do is keep the tablet on the edge of the table so that the entire bottom of the stand is in contact with the table and the bottom edge of the tablet sortof dangles off the edge. If you want your stand to last this is what you have to do.

Aside from that weird quirk, I find it very easy to set up and close at a moments notice and it's sturdy.

I'm very passionate about stupid things.
>>
Best and affordable Yinyova products?
>>
>>2292512
Yea, the little lip that slides in on mine is pretty worn. Not broken, but worn enough that I kinda want one, but I think Wacom charges something $50 for a replacement, and that's a pretty BS price.
>>
Bumping for more information on Yinyova tablets
>>
I'm wondering if the $500 Monoprice 22" is any good. Is it too good to be true, for that cheap?
>>
Can't decide between a 13hd and the pro+pencil.

Currently use a intuos pro and lugging it between my desktop and laptop is annoying.

Anyone got any real experience with these?

A 128gb companion 2 is $1700 and gets mixed reviews about lag,weight, and portability.
>>
File: Photo-Nov-21,-2-14-00-PM.jpg (345 KB, 1334x1000) Image search: [Google]
Photo-Nov-21,-2-14-00-PM.jpg
345 KB, 1334x1000
>>2293557
>pro+pencil
It's super portable. I draw on the couch, in the car, in bed, pretty much everywhere but my desk.

Battery life is good - it drops about 10% per hour of drawing.

Split screen multitasking is great - except pinterest and tumblr don't support it yet. But I keep all my refs in photos, and I can 4chan in safari. The screen is big enough that using Procreate on half of the screen is perfectly fine.

The best part is that the multitouch on iOS is so smooth that pinching to zoom, panning, and rotating in Procreate feels amazing - it's just as fast and responsive as having a piece of paper on my desk.

I had a hard time transitioning from traditional to digital, but this definitely breaks that barrier for me.

I'm far from being a professional artist - pic related was an early drawing in iOS notes with the pencil
>>
My friend is offering to sell me his old Cintiq 12WX for 300 bucks. Is this worth it? Should I just spend that money on a newer Cintiq alternative? I could also just use that 300 bucks and get an Intuos pro instead. I've never used display tablets before so I'm not sure.
>>
>>2294792
The 12WX in particular has terrible color reproduction. Go read some reviews on the thing. Search warosu too.
>>
>>2294792
the colour calibration is not that good. But honestly i painted with it for years and once you get used to it it's a really really good deal. especially for 300.
>>
>>2294792
As someone who had an 12WX i would not recommend it any more, it had its time but those are long gone, colors are off, there is quite a input lag and the cable tends to break after some years and is soldered to it.
>>
>>2289404
Didnt expect jace in 4chan, lol.
>>
>>2294961
literally who
>>
>>2294989
Jace wallace, wakkawa
>>
>>2295013
pretty disappointing desu
>>
>>2289426
I use a Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 which should be comparable. Software is really scarce, even after Wacom released their Android Companion.
It's good enough for sketches and cleaning up messy pencil scans.

With good software it's ok and a lot more fun to draw on than my Intuos 4.
>>
>>2295112
why?
>>
>>2295177
what do you use? I use layerpaint on my galaxy and it's good, but not even close to a desktop program.
>>
>>2291851
Pls respond.
>>
>>2295229
I used Layerpaint HD for a long time. Mainly because other apps failed to ignore my palm touching the screen. Now, after discovering GMD SPen Control's "Disable Finger Input" feature, I'm giving Mediabang a shot.
>>
>>2295242
MediBang, not Mediabang.
>>
>>2294824
>>2294913
>>2294936
I see. Then I guess I'll get something else then. I've always used tablets my entire life so I'm hesitant to drop money on a Yiynova display tablet when I could buy a Intuos Pro at a similar price point. Would you say that it's worth it to go for the Yiynova?
>>
>>2291851
no one knows yet but you can be absolutely sure that Wacom is scared that their business just got cut off at the knees by Apple.

Competition is great because now they need to innovate to stay on top.
>>
If Wacom were to do an annual release then they'd reveal the CC3 at CES 2016 in January, but I don't know.
I wish they'd hint at it now;
>iPad Pro with Pencil doesn't yet have the software to justify the price, plus the drawing feels slippery
>Surface Pro 4 seems to be having a lot of problems with drivers/stability/reliability
>>
>>2296251
Sp4 seems like a crapshoot. Theres a ton of qq about various issues but Ive spent over 100 hours painting on it so far and its been pretty damn good.
>>
>>2296288
good to know. Did you get m3 or i5?
If m3, have you encountered any limitations while painting?
If i5, have the fans come on frequently and loudly?
>>
>>2289262
Samsung 7 Series Slate.
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.