[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Graydon Parrish Have you guys and girls heard about him? His
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
Graydon Parrish

Have you guys and girls heard about him? His work is sublime (pic related).

He draws like an angel.
>>
No, nobody on here has heard of him, because he's just another one of those boring atelier drones who's entire career consists of drawing long pose studies of naked people. There are a million of those guys and they're all the same: so wrapped up in technical masturbation that they never advance beyond endless training.
>>
>>2288162
Honestly, this seems pretty true. Proko is a pretty good example. Technically masterful as he is his actual creative endeavours are pretty sub par. Seems like when you've spent a decade hammering your brain with realism and perfection you can't break away from it when the time comes to actually make something novel.
>>
>>2288162
>>2288216

So, what are the good artists right now?
>>
>>2288235
ruan jia
>>
Could they be a descendant of Maxfield Parrish
>>
>>2288237
>rua...
Stopped reading.
>>
>>2288162
>>2288216

I can picture you guys as young kids, discovering books with art history, seeing drawings by Michelangelo and Leonardo and imagining yourselves producing beautiful things like those great masters from old times…And then I see your bitter comments now, and imagine the violence you commit against yourselves to think that people like Pollock and Warhol are great artists, and imagine the kind of twisted people your University teachers are, and I can’t help but feel pity for you.
>>
File: img_7505-1.jpg (195 KB, 1599x762) Image search: [Google]
img_7505-1.jpg
195 KB, 1599x762
he's obviously good, and very knowledgeable.
his talks are worth watching for all the bouguereaufags out there.
the only criticism i have is that he mixes neoclassical mannerisms with modern subject matter and i find the result really jarring to the point of comedy. i mean look how goofy this is.
>>
>>2288257
>pollock
>warhol
>art college

Good one mate.
>>
File: 1385504029182.png (491 KB, 1015x623) Image search: [Google]
1385504029182.png
491 KB, 1015x623
>>2288262
That is embarrassing. Does he have autism? I get the exact same vibe from this painting as I do from pic related
>>
>>2288140
He's very well known in modern atelier circles. Personally not a fan of his though, and as >>2288262 points out his finished work is laughable.

Most people coming from modern ateliers though have work that lacks emotion, honesty, and ambition. >>2288162 is hitting the nail on the head. I mean, out of all the hundreds of people who are going to those ateliers and doing that work...who has work that honestly holds any value? I can name maybe two or three at most.
>>
>>2288257
You're completely missing my point. I idolize classically trained artists, proko included, and work daily chasing their level of work. But my point still stands, whenever Proko (I'm using him as an example because we've all seen his shit) goes to actually create something outside the realms of reality it comes out looking stale and unimaginative.
>>
>>2288272
I wouldn't call Stan a classically trained artist. The lineage he follows is very separate from that of ateliers like Grand Central Academy (or even any of the Russian academies which is ironic considering how he pushes his heritage) and actually has its roots in illustration.

But yeah his work is stale for sure.
>>
>>2288272
How would one avoid becoming boring and stale as an artist?
>>
>>2288356
Hard to say, make it so your entire drawing life isn't based entirely around studies I guess.
>>
>>2288356
be interested in more than just technique
>>
>>2288356

muh style
>>
>>2288262
I think I've seen this posted on CA.org.
>>
>>2288382

This

and muh storys
>>
>>2288262
Funny thing it's mostly the grade school level symbolism that ruins this painting.

And that frame. Who the hell thought that frame was a good idea?
>>
>>2288257
Dude, the University teachers doubtlessly think Pollock and Warhol are geniuses and anything approaching academicism is trash.
>>
>>2288247
>implying he's not
>>
>>2288262
This is the type of shit that will end up in Spectrum, though. They eat that crap up.
>>
>>2288262
That composition is really... really... jarring.

It's like the only honest part is the towers and everything around them is just filler
>>
>>2288262

OP here.

His technique is, no doubt, sublime. Just look at the light and shade, the contours, the flesh of the models: he is capable of achieving perfection with his handling of oil.

That said, I must agree that this particular painting doesn’t strike me as magnificent art. He was not capable of bringing the terror, the tragedy, the feeling of pain and loss to the composition.

I think that he has spent a lot of time crafting his technique, but he need to read more books on poetry, more novels, more essays, more human materials. He don’t seem very gifted when it comes to have ideas. He can give his human beings perfect flesh, blood, veins, sinews, bones, but they lack consciousness; using a cliché expression, they “lack soul”.

It’s a pity. With such a great theme and he having so powerfull skills. He should have used a even bigger canvas and created some sort of hell like the Sistine Chapel Apocalypse of Michelangelo: several colossal human beings being devoured by fire, smoke, ashes, glass powder, all with faces of terror and helplessness.

His painting looks comic…he seems to be mocking the event. He should have made an enormous painting that would attack peoples brain and punch their stomachs and their spines.
>>
>>2288976
Again, gonna have to refer to this point >>2288162

Being technically godlike in no way shape or form makes you a good creative.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.