[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Art Schools in the UK
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: diogenes-hermit.jpg (122 KB, 500x367) Image search: [Google]
diogenes-hermit.jpg
122 KB, 500x367
Looking for a good Art School, preferably a BA so i can use student finance. anyone know of any good places that focus on fundamentals and real technical development?
>>
From what I know a lot of the masters are spread out in the EU. You should research what school follows whom etc.

Art school is a waste of time, but if you're going to do it do it properly.
>>
>>2287431
3 years to focus solely on art with constant professional feedback depending on where you go makes it seem worth it to me.
>>
First you need to know what kind of 'art', or rather with what goal you want to study. Then you can try to pinpoint where you best get that education.

If you want to go the run of the mill digital illustration route I personally believe self teaching is by far your best option.
>>
>>2287431

I'm in western europe and the art schools that grant BAsare shit over here too. I know there is one atelier-type school in Sweden atm that I think give you student loans but otherwise you're shit out of luck.
>>
>>2287466
Why wouldn't you put 40 hours a week in? what's the point of being a casual?
>>
>>2287468

Because art school is a waste of time on the Western-European continent. Have fun paper macheing kitchen appliances as a message of the problematic relation between pygmy goats and writing desks as an allegory to islam in western society.
>>
Goldsmith's is top tier OP, look no further
>>
File: commissar.jpg (58 KB, 636x382) Image search: [Google]
commissar.jpg
58 KB, 636x382
>>2287486
I'm sure it's great if you want to get your privilege checked..
>>
>>2287392

This looks good http://polycount.com/discussion/68766/games-art-course-at-the-university-of-hertfordshire

The person posts a lot of his student work on polycount plus the guy is on polycount a lot.

OP you should also look at the artacademy if you live in london.
>>
The Illustration courses at Falmouth and Westminster are meant be a bit more elite than average, but there's an awful lot of shitty artists, the teachers aren't brilliant either and won't teach you much in the way of fundamentals, being as they're of a modernist bent, I speak from experience btw.

Did get some great lectures from a guy who taught Dave McKean though.
>>
but should this woman be the course leader for an illustration BA ? Dropped out of this uni right after freshers lol. taking a year to learn on my own and get on a half decent course

http://www.janecradock-watson.com
>>
>>2287603
All the art from female teachers is the exact same shit, art and crafty flowery bullshit, the kind of crap that has no market except for Etsy, they try and make the girls do the same shit as well.

Sounds pretty /r9k/ but anyone who's been to places like this will know what I mean.
>>
File: marathon-spht_1600.jpg (574 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
marathon-spht_1600.jpg
574 KB, 1600x1200
>>2287392
crab's school
>>
>>2287603
>http://www.janecradock-watson.com
that's literally what most magazine actually buy and publish so yes, she should most likely be a teacher at a course like that

you on the other hand, should apply for a different one. good luck!
>>
GLasgow school of art is a fantastic place I don't go there I do evening classes and it really is a beautiful place good teachers too they know their stuff
>>
>>2287392
Difficult question OP I've had friends who would say Uni completely changed their life and others who would say its a waste of time

I would say depends what kind of person you are and what you want to get out of it

For example I'm second year in manchester I did a year at Preston before
Loved people i met hated the course (bad tutors)
Manchester is honestly alright I've made connections with people to collab with and have access to alot of equipment i would usually have
Though would say again teaching is lacking

If you expect to become good just by doing what the course requires of you and not learning or making shit outside of it you don't deserve to succeed
>>
>>2289499

I'm self taught up until this point doing 8 hours a day (should be fitting in more i know), + really not expecting to learn much from the tutors except for some personal guidance for progressing.

also i'm pretty isolated with art, i know 0 people who are interested in it. the main factor is the time i get where i won't be stuck down to a job. as for equipment i have a macbook and cintiq 13hd so i'm mostly set there.
>>
File: 800px-Waterhouse-Diogenes.jpg (238 KB, 800x1233) Image search: [Google]
800px-Waterhouse-Diogenes.jpg
238 KB, 800x1233
>>2287392
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diogenes_of_Sinope

>Diogenes made a virtue of poverty. He begged for a living and often slept in a large ceramic jar in the marketplace. He became notorious for his philosophical stunts such as carrying a lamp in the daytime, claiming to be looking for an honest man.

this guy, damn
>>
>>2289259
It's what SOME magazines use, and there's already a glut of artists available for such work, all these UK illustration courses do is mold students towards a very specific style for a very narrow avenue of work which these teachers and their contemporaries already have on lock.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.