[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Paint is the dick cheese of Satan.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: 1434023657098.jpg (116 KB, 752x625) Image search: [Google]
1434023657098.jpg
116 KB, 752x625
Why am I incapable of painting?
It feels like I'm pushing colored fecal matter around on a flat surface. I love drawing, I just don't get what I'm missing here.
>>
>>2285300

post your work. i'd agree that painting is harder than drawing, even though most people seem to feel it's the opposite.

also are we talking traditional or digital?
>>
File: Boo.jpg (2 MB, 1520x2688) Image search: [Google]
Boo.jpg
2 MB, 1520x2688
>>2285309
Traditional.
Recent sketch I did
>>
File: Abjectgarbage.jpg (2 MB, 1520x2688) Image search: [Google]
Abjectgarbage.jpg
2 MB, 1520x2688
>>2285300
Most recent painting, the fact that i got an A for this is honestly disgusting.
>>
>>2285318
>>2285320

I'm the wrong guy to help out here. I don't have enough experience with traditional. But I'd say you still need mileage in order to reach the point where you really understand the medium and can predict it's behavior etc. Only then can you really start having your art skills show in the work. Obv trad is hard as fuck to control comfortably.
>>
>>2285318
>>2285320
You're not as good at traditional as you think you are. There are definite fundamental mistakes that you're making, it's just that they're more noticeable when you paint because it's a new medium and you're not used to it. Just keep trying, keep learning, and you'll get it. Don't get discouraged, just do more art.
>>
>>2285300
Forms breh, all about the forms. Don't think about the contours, focus on the overall shape. Tonal range and creating it with color temperature and value ranges are much more influential to a painting then the contours. Color and shape are the weapons here.

Value studies, dig into colour theory and look at some paintings. Go to a gallery if you don't.
>>
Too much detail.
You only need 2 tones to make an object look correct.
Simplify your shadow shapes and soften edges to show round forms or keep them sharp to show geometric forms.

Look at comic book inkers like Mignola.
>>
File: 4L_YdKERPTJ.jpg (112 KB, 596x628) Image search: [Google]
4L_YdKERPTJ.jpg
112 KB, 596x628
>>2285300
So many Keks from your suffering
Keep us updated OP
>>
>>2285300
stop drawing and start painting.

painting is about visualizing shapes.

Try to think in negatives/negative space.
Ex: think of layering on top of each other instead of "drawing in" a space.
You should have multiple planes layered on top of each other. Also you're painting really thick.
Try starting with opaque washes and building up instead of drawing, which usually consists of taking away instead of building up
>>
>>2285300
Draw using paint instead of fecal matter.
>>
Painting digitally is more rewarding and forgiving than traditional, so if you feel you're not getting in the mood, I would focus on that first and then switch to traditional when you feel you're not just going to waste huge amounts of paint.
>>
File: Untitled.png (292 KB, 505x415) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
292 KB, 505x415
>>2285300
anon i fucked up
i'm really tired so I thought you said 'paint this dick cheese of satan' and I didn't even question why you hated that old man so much.
>>
>>2286665
>anon i fucked up
>i'm really tired so I thought you said 'paint this dick cheese of satan' and I didn't even question why you hated that old man so much.
ahahahahaha

as an actual critique, your drawing is off in a few places so i would fix that first, otherwise you need to separate your lights and shadows more and get some darker values in there as accents
>>
>>2286665
Kekking incredibly hard. Good painting m8.
>>
>>2286665
glad im not the only one that thought the portrait of harold would make a goos study
>>
>>2286672
thanks for the crit mate, i don't think I'm gonna continue it though lmao
>>
>>2286554
Digital is more forgiving yeah, but how is it more rewarding?
>>
>>2286689
i think he means like, you can get more done so you feel better about yourself for having an extensive folio
>>
>>2286690
pretty much, anything that is easier is more rewarding.

Also for digital painting in particular you get really fast iteration times, so you can get results that reflect your actual color/value expertise better than traditional (where even if you know colors/values, you have to struggle to learn how to mix appropriately etc).
>>
>>2286736
>anything that is easier is more rewarding
I would argue the opposite. Things are rewarding BECAUSE of the struggle to achieve them. Is it more rewarding to finish a marathon or to walk downstairs to the kitchen? Is it more rewarding to work hard and get recognition, or to get recognition because of your father's fame?
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.