[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: lifedrawing5[1].jpg (868 KB, 750x1120) Image search: [Google]
lifedrawing5[1].jpg
868 KB, 750x1120
How do you guys draw when you go to a live drawing session?

As far as I know there are 2 ways to approach it, either you go full academic and only draw with planes and copying exactly what you see like you were doing a cast drawing, or you do it the Proko way where you build the skeleton based on the model and then draw over it, which I don't know how to do.

What should I be doing to improve fast? Any books or tutorials where this is explained?
>>
>>2282908
there's no reason to draw a skeleton if the model is right in front of you, imo. that's best for constructing from your imagination. just draw what you see, that's the whole idea behind life drawing.
>>
>>2282908
Do both. Don't listen to this guy >>2282917
>>
File: 1427930362204.jpg (144 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
1427930362204.jpg
144 KB, 960x1280
>>2282920

And how do I draw non-academic way? I've only been taught to draw from life like that, copying what you see, but not understanding perspective and construction.

I've started reading Figure Drawing by Andrew Loomis but I don't know how to combine methods. If I try to now draw academically the proportions are shit and the drawing looks bad.
>>
>>2282934
Fuck loomis, read hampton then bridgman constructive anatomy. Try to really understand how their lines work as you copy their illustrations (you do have to copy them). Then use the academic way to lay out your proportions and what you've memorized about form construction to get detail faster.
>>
>>2283015
Bridgman is fucking awful unless you're already an expert and know how to read through his shit-scribbles

>Hampton

nice meme
>>
>>2283020
Bridgman is amazing, but he is indeed a love or hate thing. Also before deciding whether you like him or not, look at a physical copy of his books. They are not the best reproductions in them but I've seen some scans that make the issue 1000x worse and a lot of people who complain do so because of poor pdfs.

And Hampton is just a mishmash of other artists' approaches but he presents it in a pretty clear and concise way. So long as you supplement his book with actual life drawing he is very good.
>>
>>2282908
i guess it mostly depends on your goals. do you want to focus on painting from life or do you want to paint without a life reference
>>
You learn much more by taking an animator's approach. Gesture -> Construction -> Render.

Read Vilppu or Hampton. Copying only gets you so far, and all the best painters know how to construct even if they don't show it.
>>
File: 1441049204064.jpg (2 MB, 2085x2399) Image search: [Google]
1441049204064.jpg
2 MB, 2085x2399
>>2283055

Paint without reference! What do?

>>2283253

Is this a good idea?

>>2283015

>Fuck loomis
>Been told for years here to read Loomis
>Finally start reading him and I get this comment

Have I been meme'd by /ic/?
>>
>>2283569
I've been watching a lot of Vilppu lately. He draws figures mesmerizing. Here are some videos if you want to check him out:
mega:///#F!2RARFaLA!VTiQb6eRXfV4V6mYQ6FJTA!GFYQiIqA
>>
>>2283569
Loomis has good info but not everyone "clicks" with him. I started with Loomis and things made much more sense when I switched to Bridgman. Other people had the opposite experience. Try things out and see what makes sense to you. Also I feel Loomis is better suited for intermediates than beginners.
>>
>>2282920
don't listen to this guy.

it's a good idea to do a gesture drawing before fleshing out the figure, but building a skeleton isn't necessary. life drawing is about learning to trust your eye, building a skeleton or using boxes to create the basic forms of the torso and pelvis are all good ideas and worthy practices, but on their own. they'll just bog you down in the limited amount of time one is given during figure drawing sessions, when you should be building your observational skills.
>>
Gesture in using fluid strokes.
Tighten up by finding angles and points of references.
Construct using cylinders and boxes and spheres to get the perspective right.
Go back and correct any mistakes in angles or foreshortening.
Finally feel the form and start introducing anatomy and other features.
Map out a simple 2 tone light and shadow on the figure.
Render to your hearts content...you really don't need the model at this point in time.

This is just one way that mixes both academic angle measuring, while still having fluidity and style with the more gestural steps. There's no wrong answer, just draw whats in front of you...it's easy.
>>
Gesture in using fluid strokes.
Tighten up by finding angles and points of references.
Construct using cylinders and boxes and spheres to get the perspective right.
Go back and correct any mistakes in angles or foreshortening.
Finally feel the form and start introducing anatomy and other features.
Map out a simple 2 tone light and shadow on the figure.
Render to your hearts content...you really don't need the model at this point in time.

This is just one way that mixes both academic angle measuring, while still having fluidity and style with the more gestural steps. There's no wrong answer, just draw whats in front of you...it's easy.
>>
STEVE
HUSTON
>>
>>2286904
>Huston book soon
FinalyI can trow Hampton into trash. Fuckin Huston's rip-off.
>>
>>2286910
W-wait, really?! A huston book??
>>
>>2286915
Same anon,
www.amazon.com/Figure-Drawing-Artists-Making-Every/dp/1631590650
>JUNE 1ST 2016
FUUUUUCK
>>
>>2286916
Oh shit it comes out on my birthday!
>>
>>2286918
Oh god, I'm so hyped. Huston is my favorite artist. I watch all his stuff on repeat. It's so fucking good.
>>
>>2286919
I haven't really seen much of his stuff. I saw one video from NMA and it was pretty decent. I've been a fan of his work for years though, and I think in like 2008 or 2009 or something I wrote out a long thoughtful email to him (this was a bit before he got so popular as a teacher). First fan letter I ever wrote, spent a whole evening on it. When I tried to send it to the email he had listed on his site I got an error message saying it wasn't a valid address and it never sent. Kind of ruined fan letters for me.
>>
>>2286916

>june 1st

..fuck

meanwhile I'll watch his videos and keep studying loomis I guess
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.