[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm 20 and want to learn how to draw. Where do I start?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: hqdefault.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
I'm 20 and want to learn how to draw. Where do I start? I literally have no experience drawing seriously.

I'm thinking that I should try it out for a few months, and if I think I'm any good I'll try to move onto something that I've always been an admiring of, sculpting.

Any videos/books on this? What's the typical prograssion? Drawing with pencil then straight to painting?

Thanks all.
>>
>>2281048
Start by killing yourself
>>
>>2281049
:(
>>
>>2281048
It's too late for you. Once you reach 25 and you aren't good yet it's too late.
>>
>>2281048
Don't listen to these assholes. Start sculpting right away. Learn anatomy, try to accurately copy what you see in photos. In a year or 2 you should be good if you put the hours in.
>>
File: 144632294758812.jpg (20 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
144632294758812.jpg
20 KB, 480x360
>this thread
>>
Just start.
Don't keep putting it off, or the next thing you know you'll be 30 and wondering where to start, and thinking of where you'd be if you'd started at 20.

If sculpting, maybe take a class if there's any local ones. For drawing, obviously start with the sticky, but my advice is worry more about getting your mileage in than being too obsessive with 'doing it right'. If you spend all your time looking up the most efficient way to practice you'll just get anxious about practising and that won't do you any good. Studying smart is good, but prioritize getting your hours in rather than just reading about it / asking people to tell you what to read. Once you start, you'll start figuring out what you're bad at and can direct your studying. When you first start, most resources will be a little overwhelming anyway.
Post your art for critiques as you go. Take anything /ic/ says with a grain of salt, but sometimes you'll get good guidance to go with all the inevitable shitposting. It'll help you develop a tougher hide too, which you'll need if you don't want a sensitive ego.
>>
>>2281063
Do people still believe this so they can live with themselves and not enter suicide watch?
>>
are you people blind seriously how does this board get six new threads like this every fucking day
>>
>>2281107
mikufag encourages edgy anime tracing kids who cant draw for shit from /pol/ to come to /ic/.
>>
>>2281048

OP I'm about 2 months into my journey and here are the things that have helped me the most:

(1)Taking GOOD courses at community college
-Make sure the course has you working from LIFE. I can't stress how important this is. If you get into a class and the syllabus doesn't say still life or portrait on it somewhere, ask the teacher about it. Otherwise it's a waste of a class.

(2) Keeping a sketchbook I promised not to show to anybody so I can draw embarrassing things, shitty things, and embarrassingly shitty things. And keep it with you! I missed so many opportunities to draw already.

(3) Trying new mediums
-I was scared to try ink but when I saw how cool brush pens were during Inktober I went and got one to play around with, and ended up doing 2 homework assignments with it which I'm really proud of. I mean they are objectively shitty, but I'm still proud of them.

(4) The sticky. There's pretty good advice in it, especially Loomis. I skimmed over a lot of the early parts of Fun with a Pencil until I got to the part where it starts defining proportions for the head and body but there is value in the first part of the book on how to visualize 3D forms.

Here's my shitty shit if you care: http://bredmonster.tumblr.com/
>>
>>2281113
I'd say that every board having its own drawthread is a pretty big cause of this too
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.