[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think of Tim's Vermeer, /ic/? This guy with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: 503208.jpg (162 KB, 1484x860) Image search: [Google]
503208.jpg
162 KB, 1484x860
What do you think of Tim's Vermeer, /ic/?

This guy with absolutely no painting skill replicated it with the instruments Vermeer could get his hands on, on top of that Vermeer doesn't do under paintings or sketches beforehand, he just laid the paint on, on top of even that all the lens issues that Vermeer would have painted are there in his paintings, but Tim caught on to it.

Do you think this blurs the line between artist and inventor/whatever?

Picture related.

There's also a documentary on it which I highly recommend.
>>
Pic related as well, he just used a mirror and a lens he made which is a replica of lenses at that current time.
>>
Can someone post that image of "Oh, this thread again"
>>
>>2280809
I got pretty annoyed at some some of the stuff Hockney and Penn were saying since it was obvious they didn't really know what they were talking about and doing a lot of speculation and presenting it as fact.

It's an interesting idea though, but if Vermeer did use it then I don't think much changes. It's not like he was just a mechanical machine, there is a lot of artistry in his work still and I think the side-by-side comparison makes that painfully obvious in terms of the massive gap of skill.
>>
>>2280815
Yeah I agree, I don't see Vermeer as anything less if he did use this method.

It really changes nothing for me. I even appreciate his works more now that I have an understanding of this concept which is a possibility.
>>
File: fuckoff.jpg (40 KB, 460x500) Image search: [Google]
fuckoff.jpg
40 KB, 460x500
>>2280809
>>2280812

no rules just tools.

vermeer's version is still superior because he knew how to paint, on top of having the tools.
>>
>This guy with absolutely no painting skill replicated it

How true is this?
If he actually had no painting skill he would need a fuckton of patience. It's not like every new artist and their mother hasn't tried to trace/copy and failed miserably, and it's easier now than it ever was digitally. Yet time and time again we see newbie artists fuck up digital traces with color picking where you can literally overlay.

Having to actually apply a technique to painting, mix colors, etc convincingly seems to me like beyond a newbie regardless of if you could directly trace.

If anything, if he DID do it with no skill, I'm guessing it took him several times longer to complete and probably had far more resources to fill in his gaps in knowledge in the process.
>>
>>2280906
all he needs to do is mix the right colors. not that difficult.
>>
File: 1409600662091.jpg (18 KB, 337x367) Image search: [Google]
1409600662091.jpg
18 KB, 337x367
>>2280919

do it then faggot. I'll wait.
>>
>>2280906
watch the documentary fagnuts
>>
>>2281021
I watched it. At no point does it fill the plot hole of 'how does tim know how to pick the fucking colors'. Someone with no art experience would never know how to pick the fucking colors. YOU watch the documentary, 'fagnuts'.
>>
>>2281292
Trial and error as he has the comparison right fucking there and no eye trickery to fuck you over.

When an artist learns colours there's so much he has to go through, on top of that the contrast of colours beside each other gives off the illusion of a different tone. He doesn't have to go through any of that.
>>
>>2280906
In short, he's doing it the easy way. All the noob artists are doing things the hard way (for a reason). Tim used those tools to turn a Vermeer into a paint-by-numbers, and anybody really can do a paint-by-numbers.
>>
i loved the movie. i heard penn talking about it on opie and anthony, it was super intriguing hearing him describe what Tim did to make this painting. And I was shocked he pretty much did everything himself. He's a smart dude, and a better creator than I'll ever be.
>>
>>2281018
What's the point? The documentary has already proven it can be done, so there is nothing to prove. I'm not going to build a camera lucida, or build a full-scale replica of a room from vermeer's paintings, just to prove a known fact to some guy on 4chan.

see
>>2281021
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.