[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is this possible?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 7
File: 41d56ab39a232f79-KimJungGi_03.jpg (466 KB, 960x675) Image search: [Google]
41d56ab39a232f79-KimJungGi_03.jpg
466 KB, 960x675
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUFGe-4k6dU

How does Kim Jung Gi draw like this?

I'm guessing he has a sort of photographic memory. If he has a photographic memory all he has to do is trace over the images he sees.
>>
>>2279889

I think he just draws anything that comes to mind, whatever structure comes of it is improvised.

He's been doing it that way for years and that's why he's good at it.
>>
>>2279889
He's spent thousands of hours drawing He's spent years and years building up his visual library and drawing anything and everything.

That's how.

None of what ever that bullshit is your saying.
>>
>>2279889
what the fuck is that pic
does that happens in reality in med schools
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qLsm0gHIPM#t=210

Here is the documentary.

This guy is autistic and can draw something perfectly from memory.

Maybe, Kim Jung Gi is doing something similar to the autistic guy in the video.
>>
>>2279910
no. autistic artists like that have insane memory for detail. they memorize the visual impressions. Kim Jung Gi actually has knowledge of contruction and is able to construct scenes out of his mind instead of only replicating what he memorized.
>>
>putting yourself in your own drawing
>>
>>2279905
how else are you supposed to learn to be a surgeon, staring at people with your x-ray vision?
>>
I think it's a combination of really good visual memory and problems connecting with people emotionally
>>
>>2279900
You're retarded and probably know nothing about art if you think anyone can reach this level with enough practice. Even the greatest artists of all time can't just go at a page, delve straight into detail with permenant medium and perfectly draw images of this size and technical perfection. He's a genius, don't give a fuck what anyone says.
>>
>>2279941
>Even the greatest artists of all time can't just go at a page, delve straight into detail with permenant medium and perfectly draw images of this size and technical perfection
That's because they didn't focus on learning to do that. If the greats spent all their time training for that one thing then they could do it as well. But they focused more on painting skills and using models to help tell a story or whatever.

It's rare for artists to draw so much from their head and with a permanent medium like that, but you can find examples of other people who can do similar things: Katsuya Terada, Frazetta, Jeff Jones, Heinrich Kley etc.
>>
why is it so fun to draw mecha shit bros
>>
>>2279961
Shut up seriously, you are just embarassing yourself.
>>
>>2280011
the irony of this post makes me laugh
>>
>>2280014
Your stupidity and lack of art culture is cringe worthy, everyone know frazetta used references you dumb fucking moron
>>
>>2279941
I don't think you've been drawing very long.
>>
>>2279889
It's almost as if he loves to draw as much as you love to post on 4chan.
>>
Tareda is a distant second, he actually isnt even close to KJG.
>>
>>2280079
Yeah I hate these guys.. they are so good
>>
>>2279889
I'm pretty sure that the video you linked explains exactly how he learned to draw like that at around the 30min mark.
>>
>>2279889
>>2279941

Lol he spent tons of hours studying and practicing, and any good artist will tell you that. Any talent he has could be his affinity to learn stuff. He's even said he spent MANY hours studying how to draw engines, which is why he can draw engines so detailed that look good
>>
>>2280207
Also if you notice the stuff he draws form imagination have a pattern when it comes to what he draws, that's what he's studied and drawn the most. If you tell him to draw some random animal he's never drawn before, he won't draw them amazingly and consistently from imagination right away even if he drew them once or twice before
>>
>>2279889
go draw 10 hours a day for a year with deliberate practice and studying while aiming to draw like him and maybe you'll start to see why he can do that
>>
>>2279889

He doesn't have a photographic memory. He was asked this during a lecture and he said no. If he did, he wouldn't be drawing and would be a doctor. Not sure if he was joking or not.
>>
>>2279889
I swear to god him explaining it is
>Make a box
>Draw a circle in the box
>Now draw the fucking owl in the box
>>
>>2279889
how is he so jacked
>>
>>2280225
what do you want him to do teach you anatomy? he's explaining the composition of his pictures
>>
>>2280225
the point of that box explanation is he's telling you to try to think of everything in a 3d space, most easily visualized with and inside of boxes
>>
>>2280235
he does both art and lifting obv
>>
>>2279889
>How is this possible?
Just imagine boxes everywhere lol
>>
>>2280235
>>2280245

His military service probably had something to do with it too.
>>
>>2279889
So this is a level anyone who pulls the work can get to? Like ten years of good, honest work?
>>
>>2280225
I think it's more to visualize what you are drawing in 3D, in the box.The box helps situate the animal or person in the drawing in terms of perspective, plus boxes are easy to manipulate. Once you have a clear idea of the item in the box, you 'flatten' it and draw the contour. You don't have to sketch the forms, because you already have them in your head due to spatial intelligence.
>>
>>2279889
I see some big freezers in the back, I suppose that's where they keep the bodies
>>
File: not sure if visualizing box.jpg (11 KB, 136x108) Image search: [Google]
not sure if visualizing box.jpg
11 KB, 136x108
>>
>>2280282
thank you
>>
>>2279889
>I'm guessing he has a sort of photographic memory. If he has a photographic memory all he has to do is trace over the images he sees.
He doesnt. He explained he never thinks in lines. Only volumes. Basicly he trained for years many hours a day to draw in a volumetric way, using boxes as his guide.
>>
Since he is so godlike he probably also had a teacher from an early age telling him this >>2280364
>>
>>2279941
>come to a board asking how can someone draw like this?
>give your own speculation on why
>someone else gives a differing opinion or a view on the subject
>YOU'RE RETARDED HOW CAN IT BE ANYTHING ELSE BUT WHAT I JUST SAID?!!??!
>>
He wakes up in the morning, looks at references and then draws all day, every day. Very strong foundations, incredible visual memory and a fuckton of practice. No secret ingredient, he was just drawing while everyone else was jacking off.
>>
>>2279961
Add Vilppu to that. Apparently, he mostly draws from imagination for work.
>>
>>2280026
Frazetta used ref now and then. So does KJG. Both of them have quality pieces that were done without ref, and both work primarily without.
>>
can a normal person develop a photographic memory like his, or is it just something you're born with?
>>
I read somewhere that KJG hasnt skipped a day since he was 6 years old.
>>
>>2280562
i heard somewhere that before he was born you could see him sketching in radiographies
>>
>>2280509
Yeah just give up, don't even go outside, don't spend 10$ on art supplies to even attempt this, it's utterly impossible. Just keep posting on this safe space with us. We should all just form a guild and play videogames instead of this art trash. We're all consumers anyway.
>>
File: 1329061042104.png (56 KB, 201x214) Image search: [Google]
1329061042104.png
56 KB, 201x214
>>2279889
I had no idea Neville Page was this baller. If it wasn't for FaceOff I wouldn't even know who he is.
>>
What's the big deal?

Kim shit is formulaic. He doesn't have nor need eidetic memory. Anyone who actually paid attention in Drawing class can see all he does is conceptualize the basic form and scratches out the shape that form may have from a particular point of view.

He laddles contour lines and hatchings and exaggerates the perspective to bring it altogether. But through out the whole drawing he just apply the same formula to whatever he is familiar with. He doesn't have to have a vivid image in his head because the formula takes cared of the gaps.

You can see those gaps where ever things get flat, where it's just a shape overlapping other things. It's in those goofed areas of his drawing you see the formula clearly.
>>
>>2279889
Practice.

The picture you posted isnt even that good. Looks like any one could draw like that if they wanted. Its not photo-realistic or anatomically correct. The perspective may be wrong.

Frankly its a gimmick to market your art as a talent. Or something improvisational to impress a crowd. Theres no magic behind it
>>
>>2280631
Post your work
>>
>>2280627
still better than 90 % of /ic/ and you
>>
>>2280636
Post your work
>>
>>2280645
Post YOUR work
>>
>>2280646
POST YOUR WORK
>>
>>2280652
post you're work
>>
>>2279889
>How is this possible?

Dude, how the fucking Sistine Chapel was possible?
>>
>>2280656
pst yr werk
>>
>>2280697
suk my dik
>>
>>2280699
Can you even draw a dick?
>>
>>2280701
I can draw you so ye
>>
>>2279889
Thats not how a photographic memory works desu senpai
>>
>>2280697
pyw
>>
>>2280631
Post your work, please.
>>
File: 1328401973695.jpg (13 KB, 240x260) Image search: [Google]
1328401973695.jpg
13 KB, 240x260
>>2279889
I love how the presentation is about visual communication then they go and plaster shit music over the time lapse, rather than just let the eyes enjoy in silence.
>>
>>2280744
mute it
>>
>>2280750
Oh, I did. It still shouldn't be there, though.
>>
He didn't waste years hoarding stupid drawing books and obsessing about copying drawing books, he just drew what he saw.
>>
>>2280279
Nah, don't believe those trolls, just spend your time playing video games and shit and you'll build up a huge visual library and magnificent skills doing that, why do you think every concept artist plays video games? They just want hard working dedicated people out of the business because they're not fun to be around.
>>
What pen is he using in op video?
>>
>>2280841
looks like a kuretake brush. they're great! i like them a lot better than the pentel pocketbrush because it doesn't feel like it's guzzling ink, but they're not exactly pocket sized
>>
>>2280627
Whenever I read something like this I never know if its trolling or not. I've seen a few retards on this board.
>>
>>2280861
Wait......just a few?
>>
>>2279889
>he's been drawing since he was little
>he's spnt thousands of hours practicing
>practice all day for years
>work, work, work
>anyone can get this good
>my butt hurts so bad
>might be because I can't face the fact that he has a talent I will never achieve no matter how much I practice
>but people can't be different, it's not fair
>muh kindergarten mentality
>babby mad!!!

jesus, I haven't seen this much denial on any other board on 4chans. what a bunch of fucking babies. THE MAN HAS A TALENT FOR CHRIST SAKE!! fucking face it you indignant losers...!!

now, concerning your question op, he has a strong visual skill, but I doubt he could imagine a scene with this much detail without drawing it. But he "sees" it on the paper as he draws. so the draing and his inner eye work together so to speak. at least that's what I think.

And you FAGGOTS need to get a fucking REALITY CHECK.

DENIAL
E
N
I
A
L
>>
>>2280889
>there is only my own interpretation
>everyone who disagrees is in denial

Get out.
>>
>>2280889
Don't project your own failures onto other people please, legitimately, the only thing that probably distinguishes great artists (gud, masters, or Holy trinity, you name it) is that they're dedicated and smart, I think stupid people will never get really great because their brain does not function in ways necessary for some complex or basically even easy stuff like self assessment and fair self critique and being able to work on your weak points. Stupid people can get good if they work really hard but will never acquire greatness for their brains aren't wired that way

To get back to you: If you don't spend a lot of hours at drawing/painting, you will never get good, I see that you're in denial and want some proof that hard work cannot be the key but it actually is, and I do believe that Kim Jung gi, while I don't like his line stuff too much is incredibly hard working and dedicated, people like you always want some reason not to study.
>>
>>2280289
She's imagining cocks, sounds like box anyway.
>>
>>2280945
>>2280946

Actually a lot of pro's think he has a talent in fact. I saw it a lot on facebook when he was discovered. Let's face it, people aren't equals.

Anyway it doesn't take the fact that he drew an unimaginable amount of time his entire life.
>>
>>2280889
/ic/ likes wishful thinking. Of course talent doesn't exist. Don't ruin their little world.
>>2280946
Show me at least 25 self taught professional artists.
>>
>>2280946
Art Institute of California said he's gifted. Even Kim Jung Gi himself confirmed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUFGe-4k6dU
>>
>>2280889
Jesus settle down bud.
>>
>>2280994
H-how do you know my name?
>>
>>2280744
put some jazz with it, I heard they play along quite well
>>
>someone has an aptitude and has worked hard
>THIS MUST MEAN TALENT EXISTS AND EVERYONE ELSE MIGHT AS WELL GIVE UP NOW

Never change, /ic/.

Yeah, maybe you'll never be KJG. But if you work hard and consistently, you will be able to make money with your art. Might even make a living with it, because you are developing a skill others don't have. You're not just stacking a pile of trash in the corner of a museum.

You will never become your idol. Become someone else's idol instead of it's so fucking important to you. Otherwise, either accept that you don't have the willpower to become good enough, or get the fuck out of the scene and stop shitting it up. Not only will you improve it for everyone else, you'll have new free time that you can apply to some other pursuit that might be better for you.
>>
What really gets me is when he does those large murals in fish eye perspective. HOW?! Man is crazy good. I have all 3 of his books signed.
>>
>>2281294
jelly
>>
fucking vietman shit drawing image board always trying to pick things apart. you can't explain exactl the reason why someone has a talent that others dont. maybe it's luck of life experience, maybe it's brain chemistry, maybe it's innate desire to draw, maybe it's something else, maybe it's all those things. just enjoy the artwork and get inspired and work the best of your abilities to improve.
>>
>>2281288

>>2281001
>>
>>2280279
well KJG didn't walk away from the pencil until his 20's and most people's idea of 'hard work' is probably dicking around on a saturday afternoon.for him, it'll probably take more than 10 years. But if you're thinking of it in cumulative years, you've already psyched yourself out to fail.
>>
>>2280946
>Don't project your own failures
what? Oh, by laying back and just saying "hey, I don't have the talent so why bother?"

But isn't that YOUR projection though? Of what you are afraid will happen if you acknowledge talent as an actual thing?

I have no problem with there being talented people in the world, cause my perspective is that everyone is different, so everyone has *something* that is unique. and hard work can let you express it even if you don't have any obvious talent. There are very untalented people that, by hard work, get really good and original.

I say work with what you got, doesn't matter how talented some people are. they're just doing their thing too.
>>
>>2281321
Exactly. Just fucking draw faggots.
>>
File: 1328529646523.jpg (71 KB, 500x566) Image search: [Google]
1328529646523.jpg
71 KB, 500x566
>>2279889
What is that thing he's drawing with? I'm new and I have no idea.
>>
>>2280841
this
http://www.amazon.com/Pentel-Fude-Brush-Medium-XFL2L/dp/B000THNGVO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447263174&sr=8-1&keywords=pentel+fude
>>
>>2279941
>you're retarded
stopped reading right there.
>>
The man has talent, we can lie to ourselves and said than with enough practice anyone can get good, when reality thta is not the case. Talent exist in every area from sports to academics and anything in between , and that includes drawing as well. Some people win the genetic lottery when it comes to talent and their interest colliding and being one in the same.
>>
>>2283764
The man has no talent. What he has is a work ethic and drive that has pushed him to draw in this way for years and years and years until you get what you see now.

The only one lying to themselves is you. You need there to be "talent" because you're a lazy pleb who could never push themselves to achieve such a level of skill. With an attitude like that you'll probably never achieve much of anything.

Have fun.
>>
Talent exist, theirs a reason theres very few people with skills like his, how many of this dude are out there. He spend years upon years to achieve this and he continue to pursue it cause he was good at it, you think that by doing something x amount of time you will achieve this level of expertise without talent you are kidding yourself.

Lets say you take two absolute beginners and make them practice any skill( be it drawing, playing an instrument or sport, etc) one person having talent the other one having absolutely to talent for whatever skill they are practicing, which of the two is gonna be able to get really good at whatever it is they are practicing, or which is gonna achieve getting good at said skill the fastest?
I'm not saying don't try at all, what I'm saying is dont have such high expectaions cause that can be as crippling as believing in talent or not.
>>
>>2283943
work ethic and drive are talents. some people are just incapable of consistently working hard.
>>
>>2283977

Highly debatale. Some people report aquiring drive from difficult life situations. It's hard to know for sure.
>>
>>2283943

>a group of persons with special ability:
>a capacity for achievement or success; ability:
young men of talent.
>innate ability, aptitude, or faculty, esp when unspecified; above average ability: a person or persons possessing such ability.

words exist for a reason you edgy tool. that's like sayin michael phelps doesn't have a talent for swimming because it requires practice.
>>
File: 49521.jpg (45 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
49521.jpg
45 KB, 600x400
>>2281585
brush pen
Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.