[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
portable drawing medium
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 5
File: zenpad-stylus-pen.jpg (72 KB, 1250x538) Image search: [Google]
zenpad-stylus-pen.jpg
72 KB, 1250x538
HI guys, I'm looking for a decent portable drawing medium, particularly a tablet.

I really need to rely on the portability part, so I'm emphasizing on the weight more. Thus the wacom tablet series and anything heavier than surface pro 3/4 are not in my concern.

Currently I'm laying my eyes on ASUS Zen Pad S 8.0, along with a TP 1024 stylus. but also wonder if there's any better alternatives.

Thank you.
>>
File: sticky.png (3 KB, 299x27) Image search: [Google]
sticky.png
3 KB, 299x27
tablet threads are for /g/
>>
yes got it, but I thought anon in this board might know better, since some may actually use certain models
>>
cube i7 stylus
>>
>>2278939
Surface Pro 4 8GB model. It's expensive though.
>>
>>2279138
he already mentioned that
>>
>>2278940
gtfo
>>
File: 1446293593843.png (136 KB, 1421x831) Image search: [Google]
1446293593843.png
136 KB, 1421x831
>>2278940
Hi faggot

For those considering the Surface Pro, there are now some useful reviews from an artist perspective;
http://surfaceproartist.com/blog/2015/11/7/entry-level-surface-pro-4-is-the-only-ipad-pro-youll-ever-need

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AtprsfMT6k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDVY3c2Vkj8
>>
OP here.

I already own a Surface Pro 3.

It is decent alright, but it's still heavy consider I have to commute a lot.

Thus I'm thinking something that is lighter than 12 inches tablet/labtop, regardless how good it is.

It's just too heavy when you backpacking the Surface Pro 3 along with all my other traveling gadgets.

That being said, I still want SP4 as well :D

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Asus-ZenPad-S-8.0,Microsoft-Surface-Pro-3,Samsung-GALAXY-Note-10.1-2014-Edition/phones/9436,8674,8139
>>
>>2280136
How is it? I'm also looking for a portable way to do some decent photoshop painting. I've had my eye on a SP4 but apparently the pen only has one button on it and it's not customizable. It seems like a small thing but it's actually hugely detrimental.

Is the SP3 any different?
>>
>>2278939
I'm using a toshiba encore 2 write, which runs decently with manga studio and tv paint. 10 inch is $385. My only gripe with it is that it has an intel atom processor so you cant have extremely large paintbrushes, but for sketching on the go it's pretty sweet. Battery life is also very good.
>>
Anyone here tried the Cintiq companion? How's it?
>>
>>2280277
I use it for work (contractor, have to provide my own shit)

It's heavy. Real heavy. It's not bulky, but it is large. I used to have a Surface Pro 1 and that was too small, especially for my professional work.

CC's pen tracking is great and a huge step up from even the Wacom Surfaces. Comes with a nice case too with a shitload of pentips.

I tend to have a lot of shit running at work; after effects, Illustrator, and a shitload of Chrome tabs on top of Skype, word, etc. and nothing ever hitches. Rocksolid performance.

Battery life is okay. If I'm running Manga Studio, I tend to get 2-3 hours. The speakers are abysmal, though. I do animation a lot and try showing work to my director and it's ridiculously quiet. I doubt too many people would mind, but my phone is louder than this, so it's worth mentioning.

The most glaring flaw is the stand, which is really cheap. It works, but it feels awful.

As a tool for drawing/designing/animating, it's amazing, but the bulk, stand, and speakers are it's biggest turn offs. Still my prized possession, though.
>>
Is the SP 2 still worth getting?
>>
Honestly if you want to draw on the go
I think a sketch book would be the best thing
>>
>>2280502

I want to paint in public spaces like bars and such. I already do it with my sketchbook, but would be cool to be able to paint digitally while drinking a beer outside.
>>
>>2280505
Sounds like a good way to get your tablet stolen and your shit pushed in.

You're either a big dude or live in a really nice neighborhood but that begs the question how is there a bar there?
>>
>>2279616
didnt know it was a meme, i saved this file 2 months back.
>>
>>2280521
Not him but I reckon you'll be fine as long as you're not doing it friday or saturday nights
>>
>>2278939
Surface pro 4 and Wacom Cintiq companion 2.

if your budget is low you can always look for an older tablet pc like the asus ep121 and or something.

The i pad pro launches this week i think as well but don't have much info on it besides it can't run full desktop apps. thouogh the tilt sensitivity does interest me. would make very natural to the way i draw.
>>
>>2278939
Samsung 7 Series slate tablet PC. Got the old model a few years ago and have since upgrade. Wouldn't worry about using anything else.
>>
>>2280522
Checked
I made that thread. Did I just create my first meme?

>>2280471
Any likelihood of a black friday deal on refurbished cintiq companions?

>>2280136
had no idea the SP3 was considered heavy. I hope the SP4 isn't. I guess my main concern is if I buy a SP4 and it becomes my main device, then I travel around with it, with all my personal shit on it. Risky
>>
I just ordered a surface pro 3 64 gb. It is good enough?
>>
>>2280471
>CC's pen tracking is great and a huge step up from even the Wacom Surfaces
>I tend to have a lot of shit running at work; after effects, Illustrator, and a shitload of Chrome tabs on top of Skype, word, etc. and nothing ever hitches. Rocksolid performance.
>Battery life is okay. If I'm running Manga Studio, I tend to get 2-3 hours.

These are exactly the features I'm looking for, I wouldn't mind the weight as I'm already bound to a desktop. Gotta save a lot first.
>>
>>2280635
As I had mentioned, Those are decent devices but are too heavy in my consideration.
Plus I had SP3 now. You only start to consider the weight when you start to carry those things around...for hours.
>>2280857
Depending on what you're seeking.
Portability or Functionality. There are always pros and cons.
>>2280806
SP3 and SP4 are about the same weight though SP4 is lighter. these are all lighter than CC and most of the laptops, but with the plugs and shit, they can still weigh about 1~2kg. CC is about twice the weight.
>>
>>2280521

I live in Brazil actually, so this might actually happen, but I have a car and would drive directly to the place.
Also, I don't get the question about the bar, there is bar everywhere in the city and it's way safer to draw/paint inside one than in a park.
>>
the surface 3 is going to be $400 on black friday is it any good?
>>
>>2280471
are you referring to the CC1 or CC2? Everything I've read about the CC2 on forums suggests that by making it more powerful they drastically reduced battery life and created fan noise issues.
I guess when a device costs as much as a CC2 It's hard to tolerate significant problems like that. I'd happily pay for one if they could fix those things

New SP4 review from an artist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TZm6SaoZuc
>>
>>2281349
I have the CC1. It's maybe a year and a half old.

I heard about CC2's problems. The tradeoff is that you can use it as a regular Cintiq with a desktop, which is neat, and yea, more power.

I'd probably be willing to put up with those drawbacks if only for desktop use, but that's just me. I don't draw inmany places where an outlet isn't available, since I live in Boston and all.
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 600x315) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 600x315
Anybody have procreate 3 + Apple pencil up and running?

I can't seem to find much data on it. Only that it claims to support it.
http://procreate.si/forums/index.php?topic=7030.0
>>
>>2283482
christ I'm fucking itching for the video impressions by actual artists who've used wacoms instead of all these dickhead photo editors and journalists who don't know what they're doing, I especially want to see how it performs with astropad latency wise, if its fast enough then I'm wholly willing to empty my pockets for the ability to use actual desktop software when at home.
>>
>>2283482
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxgJCerVH8w
>>
considering it just came out, is there *any* chance of an ipad pro black friday deal? if not I may forgo it till they just add pencil functionality to the next normal ipad
>>
>>2283610
cool thanks! I guess I'll buy procreate
>ignoring cost of ipad + pencil

seems like only blogs and press actually have it, is it in the wild yet? Or are anons still waiting to get theirs in the mail?
>>
Samsung Note Pro 12.2
Use it as my portable drawing sketchbook
>>
>>2283639
Samsung galaxy note 10.1 is comfy too
>>
Apple Pencil looks like it performs great.
I'm still waiting to see real tests with the Surface Pro 4 Pen.
No, not those jitter tests, or lag stress tests, or circle drawing in fucking freshpaint - we have more than enough of those.
I want to see a fucking artist drawing in Manga Studio or Photoshop, with enough stabilization to smooth out the jitter.
This will determine whether I go for an i5 SP4 or an iPad Pro/ThinkPad combo
>>
definitely waiting for some real comparisons to wacom's low end offerings.

even if we don't get apps like clip studio and photoshop it might fit into people's workflow using the pro+pencil and transferring to a desktop/laptop for any work that just isn't there on the tablet.
>>
>>2283651
The jitter isn't really much of a problem unless you really like doing linework. For that, manga studio and SAI easily smooths it out.

I have a SP3 and never notice jitter when I'm painting.
>>
>>2285567
this is good to know
I hope to do some digital painting in manga studio, so I hope the SP4+Pen performs well with it.
>>
Is there any way to get the SP to work like a pen display for another pc like the CC?
>>
I bought the Toshiba Dynabook S80 as my go to travelling tablet and highly recommend it even with my limited time playing with it. It came with windows 10. I also bought the Dynabook Kira L93 but because of the portability of the S80 have used that far more.
>>
>>2283651
why is the ipad pro even an option for you, if what you care about is MS/PS? You can't run any of that stuff (or anything remotely similar) on an ipad. Most of what you get are note taking or toy scribbling programs.
>>
a cintiq companion 2 128gb is $1600 dollars weighs 4 pounds, has the typical wacom driver issues, trouble with color accuracy, and just isn't a perfect experience out of the box.

pro+pencil is $1050,1.5pounds, color accurate, not tied to a cord, and "just works".

the software is nowhere near as good as desktop apps but this is a no-brainer for 90% of people who are into drawing.
>>
>>2287302
How is not having desktop apps a no-brainer if people need to use desktop apps?

I only see it as a no-brainer for people who already use Procreate (it's a pretty decent program if you get used to it) or for people who only need it for quick sketching/roughs and don't mind transfering the files over to desktop to finish.

Otherwise surface pro 4 is a better alternative, it also has one of most color accurate displays on the market right now.
http://www.displaymate.com/Surface_Pro4_ShootOut_1.htm

The pen may be worse than the apple pencil. I haven't tried the apple pencil in person so I can't give a real comparison but it's decent enough if you want something that does what the cintiq does but be actually portable.
>>
>>2287430
Does anyone know if it's possible to hook up a cintiq to the surface pro4.

I have a cintiq and i like the pro to paint on the go. But since my computer is starting to feel very old i would like to use the surface as my main computer too but still be able to draw on the cintiq.
>>
>>2287430
Is the Apple Pencil really that much better than the Surface Pen for the Pro 4?
Also can Procreate really compare to Manga Studio?
It's an interesting dilemma; the iPP is 'cheaper' than a Surface Pro, but it's a lot to spend on something that currently does less.

>>2287597
I don't see why not. Cintiq's just act as usb devices right? The older ones also need power obviously.

>>2287302
I didn't realise the CC had those problems
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnxwfMXa2Uk
Somebody drawing in Manga Studio with Surface Pro 4 base model
>>
File: 4L_nesEbgdB.jpg (98 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
4L_nesEbgdB.jpg
98 KB, 900x600
>>2278939
This is the best, lightest weight, longest battery life drawing tablet I've ever seen. Not the best quality but for the price it's wonderful.
>Boogie board tablets
>>
>>2287989
Wtf that guy's voice makes me want to die

Msft needs to work on their multitouch support
>>
>>2287967
>can Procreate really compare to Manga Studio?
It doesn't seem like a full blown replacement, but it accomplishes 90% of my needs, to the point that I will adjust my workflow to match procreates limited features. I only use 10% of photoshops features anyways...

It's good for sketching, but I've never really been good at digi, so it's hard to say it is good enough for a finished piece. It seems good enough to post on the web.
>>
>>2280985
boa sorte amigo
>>
Apple Pencil vs Wacom Cintiq Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8xZedh_hUQ
>>
>>2283644
that's what i have. I love it.

the lack of desktop quality software is bad, but the weight lets you actually hold it in one hand and draw, which is worth it in my opinion. Compared to the Surface Pro, which is like holding a gym weight.

I guess if I'd have kept my surface pro, I'd have a really buff left arm by now...
>>
Full photoshop on Ipad pro using Astropad ( and Procreate and Apple Pencil ). Review / Demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsxcPKb9-CM
>>
>>2288675
can't wait to ditch my 13hd (FUCKIGN WIRES) for one of these.. just need more reassurance that it can be a solid replacement
>>
>>2285699
Since it's a full windows pc, couldn't you just use any standard remote desktop software and control your pc that way?
>>
>can Procreate really compare to Manga Studio?

there's always medibang
>>
>>2287967
Ipad pro + apple pencil + astropad = retina, lightweight + wireless Cintiq
>>
>>2278939
Samsung 7 Series Slate
>>
>>2288812
*As long as your other computer is OSX, not Windows
I think if Astropad worked with Windows my mind would have been made up. FUCK
>>
>>2288812
apparently Kakooyo! is coming out in december for the ipp. this will allow you to transfer all your work to clip studio paint.

Between that and adobe cloud for people who cling to PS this is a perfect setup for non professionals.
>>
>>2286585

Procreate is such a good application on iOS that people have been demanding it for Windows/OSX.

The stuff you can create in it is incredible, for 4.99 it can seriously compete with SAI in terms of just digital drawing.
>>
>>2288942
i use a macbook pro. i'd suck off a cow for them to add clamshell mode to astropad. carry mbp in backpack and have an improved OS X cinitq companion
>>
What's a good drawing tablet for $200 USD?
>>
>>2289487
intuos art medium
>>
>>2287967
They both have pros and cons, but the surface pro line definitely has a lot more sales during its run. Plus, surface pro had the micro sd slot , so you don't have to necessarily buy a bigger storage space.
Apple dun fucked up with just 32 gb as minimum without extra storage capactit
>>
Soooo did anybody get their pencil yet?
>>
>>2290633
theres a few reviews on youtube now + comparisons to cintiqs
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.