[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best books to start drawing?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6
File: 1446109148165.png (274 KB, 500x305) Image search: [Google]
1446109148165.png
274 KB, 500x305
Best books to start drawing?
>>
The Sketchbook
>>
>>2277426
I'd say just plain copy paper, but if you insist on a book, just get the cheapest sketchbook you can find.
>>
Those books were so bad they set me back a decade on learning to draw
>>
>>2277426
The best books to start drawing are in the sticky and free
>>
>>2277426
Hell no. Holy fuck those books look BAAAAD. I prefer to learn proportions from an antatomy book first. But ok.

>>2277471
Fuck off with that shitty meme.
>>
>>2277451
>first/cheapest sketchbook you can find
I'd disagree there, imo you should go for at least 10 inches in length. It free up your space so so you aren't as constrained and lets you get more drawings on a single page.
Of course it isn't necessary, but I find having more room is just more helpful for everything in general and its only like $.5-1 more.
>>
definitely nothing with the words "anime" or "manga" in them. your just asking for bad habits
>>
File: pointhairedguy.jpg (446 KB, 2477x3500) Image search: [Google]
pointhairedguy.jpg
446 KB, 2477x3500
>>
>>2277426
The sticky's there for a reason. There's recommended literature there, among other useful info.
>>
>>2277426
I recommend Mark Crilley's Mastering Manga volumes 1 and 2.
>>
>>2278005
Literally everything about this is fucking terrible lol
>>
>>2277583
Yea I actually meant the cheapest like a4 sized sketchbook.
>>
I had those books back in the day. Oh god they fucked my habits up so bad.
>>
>>2277426
Proud owner of the left one I am
>>
>>2277426
>actually own a physical copy of the one on the right
>parents got it for me when i was like 13
>didnt know any better and tried learning from it
>realized it was shit

still got it too
>>
>>2277426
when I was in 6th grade I had both of those book
>>
>>2278318
Got like of Chris Hearth and they were both crap aswel. I thought it was me that was just slow.
>>
>>2277426
Anything by Christopher hart. Overal he's a great artist.
>>
I got both of those books. It's pretty sad when I was still starting out and drew worse than Katy Cooper and somehow still realised she was shit. So many anatomy atrocities, including diminished craniums and two left-hands. Also basic as fuck composition. I'm glad I dropped those books early.
>>
literally the first drawing books i was ever given and i still have them for nostalgia factor.
see
>>2277471
>>
File: How_to_draw_manga.jpg (57 KB, 332x475) Image search: [Google]
How_to_draw_manga.jpg
57 KB, 332x475
You guys jest but the books from this series legitimately helped me. They actually did a good job of explaining and demonstrating how to construct things out of simple shapes. I remember one of the first explanations that blew my mind was showing how the inside of an iris was like a bowl rather than a flat surface and that totally changed how I drew eyes from then on. It was probably the first step I took out of symbol drawling.
>>
You Can Draw in 30 Days is excellent for getting you to a point where you can use other beginner books without feeling lost if you're truly a complete beginner.

How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way is fairly popular, though it's more of a long-term book than something you'll consistently work through. It's very "hands-off" compared to something like You Can Draw in 30 Days. It will teach you about something, and then you'll need to practice what you've learned independently until you're ready to continue.
>>
All books are shit because artists don't understand how lens work. Learn a bit of Blender 3D and how photographers use lens + watch this shit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsQ1WVyPHvU
Torrent Vilppu's series on anatomy
The only book that is worth something is "animators survival kit". Learn how shit physically works.
>>
>>2279491
My first "how to draw manga" book was one with a few drawings and texts ripped right off Loomis' books, so... Not the best source to learn from, but not really that bad also
>>
>>2279491
The first one in the series was pretty decent in teaching body proportion and character features.
>>2277426
My mom got the blue one for me when I was twelve and I thought it was shit then.
>>
>>2279491
Can't say I've read it, but looking at the cover it doesn't look -too- bad.
>foreshortens in a way that isn't completely retarded (although still weird)
>constructs arms and legs using simple lines for bones and spheres for joins to get the idea and motion
>anatomy is more or less correct
>boob isn't static and raises with arm as well as the clavicle
>not fat
would give to weebs to teach them art.
>>
File: 61WCFK1JRHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (31 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
61WCFK1JRHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
31 KB, 300x300
>tfw I literally begged my parent to buy me this book
>tfw I stopped using it after about a week

God, I wish I could appreciate my parents more.
>>
>>2279864
What'chu talkin' 'bout, Willis?
>>
>>2279491
>>2280105
is the whole series available online somewhere?

>>2279500
>Draw Comics the Marvel Way

best book i had when i was a kid
>>
>>2280551
Knowing the internet, I wanna say probably, but I still have all my physical copies of the ones I owned so I never looked for it.
>>
File: SCAN0053.jpg (2 MB, 2464x3408) Image search: [Google]
SCAN0053.jpg
2 MB, 2464x3408
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.