[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sculpting Fundamentals
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: vol3.jpg (14 KB, 160x248) Image search: [Google]
vol3.jpg
14 KB, 160x248
Hey /ic/

I'm just beginning my sculpture journey and I was wondering if there are some agreed-upon top tier books/videos? Sort of like how everyone agrees on Loomis, Hampton, Vilpuu, etc...

I was at a ceramics store earlier today and saw some books and DVDs by Philippe Faraut which looked good, but they were like $50 a pop and I can't find them on CGP. They were also sealed in plastic so I couldn't flip through them...

I am taking drawing/painting/sculpture courses at community college and going through the recommended books in the sticky at my own pace already so I'm just mainly looking for sculpture-related material.

Thanks in advance.
>>
OP here bumping.

Went to the local Half Price Books and they didn't have any instructional books.

Maybe I will get a library card on Sunday and see what I can find there. I have a large format scanner so if there is interest I might be able to set aside some time for scanning.
>>
>>2276251

A great sculptor, Alex Oliver (he even works for Blizzard), said to me that this are the best manuals out there, so I guess you could invest in them.
>>
YouTube man Phillip feraut has a YouTube channel where he shows the process he doesn't explain but you can learn a lot from watching

And there's a ton of sculptors on YouTube that down explain step by step
>>
Damn you know you're getting old when Smellybug's tutorial is A) no longer properly hosted online, and B) isn't immediately mentioned in threads asking about sculpting. Looks like some dude reposted the tutorial (or most of it at least) partway down this page: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php/18287-Smellybugs-Maquette-Tutorial-completed!/page15
>>
>>2276664

Yea I'm glad you mentioned that, I found it a few days ago and have been skimming through it off and on. It seems really good.

I'm working on some wax sculptures right now for an upcoming bronze pour so I haven't been able to start a clay model but I'm sketching out some ideas for the coming week.

>>2276592

Thanks for the name drop.

>>2276618

Thanks I will look a little harder on youtube. Any other sculptors in particular? I tried to watch some sculptors on Twitch but very few of them go into detail about why they do things a certain way.
>>
I don't do sculpture but I have seen lots of videos about it in New Masters Academy, you might want to check it out.
>>
>>2276251
I have it :^)
>>
>>2276700

Thanks a lot for this. I think I will sub to NMA and Stan Winston during Winter break to try out this whole online learning thing.

Appreciate all the replies, even you friendo >>2276703
>>
>>2276251
watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ale6SXXbJMM
>>
>>2277043

I watched that last week actually but thank you for linking it. I got the anatomy book he was talking about but I'm still going through the anatomy for sculptors one. And I started a new sketchbook just for me and I can already see improvements.

I was wondering - how do you guys study anatomy from a book? Do you copy or trace the illustrations where each part is named? Flash cards or spaced repetition software like Mnemosyne? What is your process?
>>
>>2277252
>I was wondering - how do you guys study anatomy from a book? Do you copy or trace the illustrations where each part is named? Flash cards or spaced repetition software like Mnemosyne? What is your process?
Copy out the plates. Hide both drawing and book. Redraw from memory. Afterwards check to see where you messed up and fix it. Go through entire book like this.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.