[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wolf with Geometric Jaw
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 10
Be brutally honest.
>>
>>2276218
would stick in my binder if i were still in the 9th grade
>>
>>2276222
/thread
>>
>muh tools
>>
>>2276218
I was not aware of who that wolf was until he put on the mask
>>
>>2276218
Why do I see pencils in that picture. I'm not intersted in the fucking tools you used. Also
>wolf
>Wrinkles like your mom's vagina
>>
>>2276218
>muh tools
never ever
>>
First post on /ic/

mah bad
>>
>>2276224
>>2276242
>>2276262

>unsuccessful artists who are mad at successful artists who include their tools in the image
>>
>>2276218
the crystal shit is hipster as fuck
the wolf is poorly drawn, use a reference
lining up your pens to take a photo is dA-core
>>
>>2276273

this isn't even a critique, you're just the cancer that makes up /ic/
>>
>>2276289
you're butthurt, don't let your emotions rule you

the geometric shit is a cliche, and that's worth pointing out
the wolf is clearly unreferenced and will benefit from the use of photgraphs
including tools in the image of your work is unprofessional, it's a social media trend that won't fly in an actual portfolio

all things OP needed to hear. whining about others' posts? that is the cancer that makes up /ic/.
>>
>>2276291
Is this a shot for portfolio? I don't think so.
I actually want to see what kind of tools OP used for drawing this.
>>
>>2276218
Maybe you should make inside of wolf's jaw darker for contrast. Also, you seem to have forgotten a second fang.
>>
>>2276291

>Clearly unreferenced
explain? It may not be the most perfect wolf drawn, but it clearly resembles a wolf, and almost a realistic one at that. In fact, if OP had drawn this without a reference (which you apparently SOMEHOW know?) then props to him.

>unprofessional, won't fly in a portfolio
was OP trying to make a professional portfolio?

I only whine about posts that look like they're made by a misplaced 13 year old
>>
>>2276218
Meh/10. Wolf part isn't terribly well drawn, crystal part is too cluttered to be interesting and lacks clarity because of the poor shading.
>>
>>2276291
It was referenced, the photo was just blurry and shitty and the only side profile of a wolf barring its teeth that could find.

This wasn't intended as a portfolio shot.
>>
>>2276310
Yeah, I kinda rushed through the shading or Geometric part
>>
>>2276303
>explain?
the wrinkles on the nose clearly aren't accurate, the eye looks like a cartoon, he probably used a photo to reference but he didn't follow it very closely and relied more on symbol drawing. angle of features and anatomy are way off.

>was OP trying to make a professional portfolio?
does it hurt OP to have the entire image in frame, instead of cropping the top of the drawing to make room for pens and pencils along the bottom.

>hurr u r 13
spare me.
>>
>>2276303
This was the reference I used
>>
>>2276303
>and almost a realistic one at that
are you having a laugh?
>>
File: 1445385515878.jpg (136 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
1445385515878.jpg
136 KB, 640x960
>>2276270
>>
It looks to me like you were trying to draw a photorealistic wolf but got bored halfway and wanted to make it artsy
>>
>>2276323
Your wolf is so off.
>>
>>2276348
Sounds about right.
>>
>>2276218
I think you should try to learn to copy accurately first
>>
meh, the whole "triangulate"/"make stuff lowpoly" thing is really played out at this point. There are even subreddits dedicated to it and whatnot (/r/lowpoly2d), and people have even made programs to do it automatically
>>
File: ayy.jpg (21 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
ayy.jpg
21 KB, 1000x1000
>>2276218
>>
>>2276363
The testicle got me
10/10 would pay for this picture
>>
>>2276363

Ultra kek
>>
>>2276363

AHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>2276363
post of the day
>>
>>2276363
AHAHAHAHAHAHA HOLY FUCK
>>
>>2276363
God bless /ic/
>>
>>2276363
screencap this for the love of god
>>
>>2276452
Reddit pls
>>
>>2276347
kek
>>
>>2276471
cancer meme, fuck off
>wanting to screencap a post is reddit-tier behavior
>>
>>2276477
I think it's more the fact that you have to go "XDXD SOMEONE SCREENCAPXD" rather than just fucking screencapping it yourself you fucking mongoloid.
>>
>>2276511
If you read that post as "XDXD SOMEONE SCREENCAPXD" you should get your fucking eyes checked man
>>
File: GayloGuy.png (32 KB, 541x483) Image search: [Google]
GayloGuy.png
32 KB, 541x483
Hi Anon, I know you can see something isn't right with your drawing, that's why you've made the post you did; So lets see what we can do.

Scale: looking at your drawing against your reference you can things aren't where they should be which is partly due to what you've drawn being the wrong size. When you establish your rough skeleton and you put in a eye or a tooth, everything to match what already exists. We can observe that the muzzle you've put in is longer than it should be, the eye is larger than it should be. Look into measuring techniques and negative space. You know that thing where some artists hold their arm out, closing one eye and contorting their wrist in many directions? It isn't just for show, they're measuring, cross referencing, grabbing angles, etc. You should be measuring everything before you put it down and checking to see if its correct.

Placement: The placement of features in your drawing is making things in your drawing uncanny; This also stems from getting things the right scale. For instance hold your pencil vertically from the wolfs pupil and then on your drawing; the mouth actually goes just a little further behind the pupil. The angles of the skin around the jaw doesn't match, making it look like the jaw is dislocated. The lower jaw is at a much steeper angle making it look broken as well. Pencil(s) can be more than just a means to make marks on a page, it can be used ans a straight edge or a metaphorical ruler. Like the example before, you can use it to help you map out your drawing. Try resting the side of your pencil in your vision above the wolf's right eye and the tip of the nose and note the space between your pencil and the wolf. Its almost a nice sharp triangle, right? Now try it on your drawing.
>>
File: Watermelons.png (7 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Watermelons.png
7 KB, 500x500
>>2276547

Depth: You may notice that your drawing looks a little flat, right? The lines you've made don't describe the forms they're on. One of the things that I cant help but notice is the eye. The biggest thins about predators is that their eyes are frontward facing, what you've drawn almost flattens the eye making it look like prey. This is why I saved this for last and would be THE most difficult to explain without visuals.

From what I can see you are struggling with form; seeing 'through' an object and seeing what shapes really make it up. This is where drawing WILL get boring, but we all didn't come out of the womb running marathons. Forget details, shading, light and all that until you have a firm grasp on form. I'm going to link you some videos (Which is found in the Sticky, by the way.), while it is digital, it all applies to traditional.

First, specifically what I was talking about:

Measuring:
http://www.ctrlpaint.com/videos/visual-measuring
http://www.ctrlpaint.com/videos/visual-measuring-proportion

Form:
http://www.ctrlpaint.com/videos/simplifying-form
http://www.ctrlpaint.com/videos/form-not-shape

The Library:
http://www.ctrlpaint.com/library/

While you are your own being, I wish to recommend sticking with "2) Traditional Drawing" and "3) Drawing two" for a few months. Dabble in the other sections here and there, but put you focus there. Don't just do the assignments and think you're done, apply it to everything. I wish you luck and DETERMINATION!
>>
File: wolf polys.jpg (81 KB, 236x354) Image search: [Google]
wolf polys.jpg
81 KB, 236x354
it's really ugly.

If you're going to do something like that, why don't you look for and use natural polygons on the wolf? Looks so much cleaner and less cluttered.
Your wolf doesn't have a geometric jaw, it has the outline of a wolf's jaw which you have filled with ugly triangles.

I suspect you got bored halfway through drawing the wolf and did this without thinking.
>>
the way you've placed the shapes in the lower jaw is very discordant and strikes me as a little lazy. why not make the wolf fully geometric? why not make the whole mouth geometric so it looks like it's been modified or something? the way you've done it is just tacked on to make it look artsy. the eye could be rendered better also.
>>
>>2276294
hi op, your drawing is shit
>>
>>2276218
Cool idea, but the problem with illustrations like this is that you need a good grasp on the planes that makeup the face of the creature. The problem area is around/inside the mouth. I get the repetetive motif and shapes but it's really hard to discern the edges of the mouth, the shape of the tongue and the teeth.
>>
>>2276363
Sides status: obliterated
>>
>Include pictures of the pens/pencils you used with image
>Not calling yourself the hipster trash you are

ISHYGDDT.
>>
>not including your balls in the photo of your drawing
>>
>>2276363
oh god, hahahahahha
>>
>>2276218
>can't even draw
>owns like $100 in staedtlers
>m-mah tools

why
>>
>>2276323
You lost literally all the depth in the mouth with that geometric shit. Why didn't you go for like a layon texture type thing instead of making it completely flat
>>
>>2276773
I got all the pencils when we cleared out my grandmothers apartment
>>
pretty good. although a personal suggestion is that the expression on the wolf looks more like it is in shock. if thats what you were going for thats fine. but if you were trying to make it seem enraged, maybe lower the eyebrows
>>
>>2276363
I knew there was a reason why I still come here
>>
>>2276218
Wow, OP. Great moves, keep it up. Proud of you.
>>
>>2276363
holy shit I'm crying
>>
>>2276363
I'm glad I clicked on this thread
>>
>>2276363
>Not having the pencil in your dick
There's certainly room for improvement, but good effort nonetheless.
>>
>>2276218
Did you really need all these pencils for this piece of ... art?
>>
File: tumblr_n6c732bdJZ1rbb611o1_1280.jpg (400 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n6c732bdJZ1rbb611o1_1280.jpg
400 KB, 600x900
>>2276363
hahahahahahahaha
>>
File: 1441994960693.jpg (25 KB, 400x386) Image search: [Google]
1441994960693.jpg
25 KB, 400x386
>>2276363
>>
File: meinsides.webm (999 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
meinsides.webm
999 KB, 640x360
>>2276363
>>
>>2276242

>I'm not intersted in the fucking tools you used.

In this case I don't care what tools he used, but in many cases I do actually find it pretty interesting what an artist used.
I'm just as happy if they include it in the description but I don't get that butthurt if they include it in the picture.
>>
>>2276218
proportions on the wolf are off, geometric shapes look flat, and its just floating in space. you gotta think more about composition desu senpai
>>
>>2276363
that sharpie sure has seen some use :^3
>>
>>2276363

congratulasons!

you're winner!
>>
>>2277584
Don't do that
It ripped my urethra a little
>>
>>2276222
kek

nice trips my man
>>
>>2279878
>not sounding it daily
you wont make it senpai :^3
>>
To me it looks like a wolf model only partially textured, but you got bored and did whatever you felt like when designing the polygon parts. It might be a good idea to redo this after working out the polygonal shapes beforehand in a Sketchbook.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.