[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't get it, what is the process for making this kind
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (305 KB, 648x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
305 KB, 648x800
I don't get it, what is the process for making this kind of background, traced or not? Is there any tutorial or video that shows/explain how they do it ? I mean, japanese animators need to draw fast because of their slave like salary, how much would it take the average one to make a drawing with this amount of details and such a nice render?
>>
animators don't draw these scenic nonmoving backgrounds
>>
They just referenced those backgrounds, and those are not done by animators.
>>
File: 1437698239400.jpg (359 KB, 2754x2000) Image search: [Google]
1437698239400.jpg
359 KB, 2754x2000
>>2273250
Shinkai takes photos and makes them glittery and shit.
>>
Mostly painted over I guess. Although I know that old Ghibli backgrounds weren't paintovers.

Anyway, recently I fell in love with the backgrounds of this guys: http://aymrc.tumblr.com/
>>
They're not done by animators, there's usually a separate department for backgrounds.

They're done in watercolor or Photoshop IIRC.
>>
Watch Kazuo Oga's painting on Youtube.
>>
>>2273312
>makes them glittery and shit

It takes quite a bit more to go from that photo to this end result. In the example you post they completely changed the color temperature, the atmosphere, the time of the day, heavily simplified and improved the value structure, painted the sky and clouds from scratch and change the lightsource from overcast to strong directional light.

That's not quite the same as just adding a filter, some lenseflare and make it glittery.
>>
>>2273661
>That's not quite the same as just adding a filter, some lenseflare and make it glittery.
In the mind of the average unskilled IC pleb it is.
>>
>>2273592
not him, but it seems there was a series which the first two parts were removed. do you know where to get that documentary of him?
maybe you downloaded it from youtube when it was still up?
thanks!
>>
>>2273669

Yeah, it's like people talking about photobash thinking it's really easy.
>>
File: 1438738575019.jpg (2 MB, 2754x2000) Image search: [Google]
1438738575019.jpg
2 MB, 2754x2000
>>2273312
*post the english translation damnit
>>
>>2273708
I only saw one on YT. I think there's a full video and a time lapse version.
>>
>>2275876
was it the bus shelter/house one?
that was by a dude trying to copy makoto too
>>
>>2273708
>>2275876
I have it :^)
>>
>>2276961
A mountain. It was Kazuo Oga painting using watercolor.
>>
>>2273312
>>2275846
so its all bullshit
how dissapointing
>>
Look at the picture.
Paint what you see.

What the fuck kind of question is that, have you ever painted before?

Do you need a fucking tutorial for everything?
>>2273710
Whether it's difficult or easy is not relevant. Having a difficult and elaborate way to deprive your work of artistic merit doesn't somehow make it better.

Besides, you're an idiot if you think photobashing isn't easy. If it wasn't easy, nobody would photobash. They'd just paint.
>>
>>2276977
>Besides, you're an idiot if you think photobashing isn't easy. If it wasn't easy, nobody would photobash. They'd just paint.

It's easier than painting? Sure. It's easy do it right? No. Sorry, but you're the idiot here. If it was that easy, the entire market would be almost exclusive with Brad Rigney like pieces.
>>
>>2277047
>It's easier than painting? Sure.
I like how you're trying to create the impression that there's an easier method of creating concept art than photobashing. What the fuck else is there other than painting the art and copy pasting the art? As it stands, photobashing is not just easier, it's the easiest.
And I weep for your taste in art if you actually enjoy Brad Rigney and the likes.
It's the same type of creatively bankrupt artless garbage as hyperrealism, but now without even the merit of being demanding of patience.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.