[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
KNKL
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
I'm curious what /ic/ thinks of KNKL (Kienan Lafferty sp?)

I see people shit on Jazza all the time, but nobody ever mentions him. He's kind of a Jazza type but his style is a lot more appealing imo and he seems like a really great and positive guy. Not the best artist ever but he works for Riot and has a positive attitude.

Many of you pessimistically say artists with positive attitudes act that way because they rely on people paying for their online school, but Keinan has no such thing, and does all of his video tutorials for free.

So what are your thoughts? If it's so impossible to break in, how did he even do it?
>>
He just wants to be day9 of drawing. I personally enjoy watching his videos from time to time.
>>
BUSINESSMEN. All of them. Shameless self-promoters.
>>
He's a little too hyper for my tastes but if you are unfamiliar with photoshop or need help working on your process, he can be a helpful guide. You won't learn much beyond beginners draughtsmanship if that's what your goal is when watching his videos and there are better alternatives (Proko, etc. I want to point out that i mean you wont LEARN much, I'm not implying that he is an incompetent artist). I find that his videos aren't very enjoyable to listen to while drawing (assuming you cant see the video and your canvas at the same time). The main thing with Kienan is that pretty much everything he shows you is knowledge that was passed down to him during his time at Riot Games and therefore he goes about everything in a very industrial way, a lotta pipeline processes and a disregard for traditionalist techniques and traditions. He advertises his comic a lot. If that doesn't turn you off, he's a pretty upbeat guy and is entertaining to listen to if you like goofy humor and (which i do). All of his knowledge comes together pretty nicely however and produces a lot of pieces that are pretty pleasant to look at and well-constructed. He is a good concept artist and has a lot of mileage for someone his age. He will usually talk over a speedpainting in the background and point out the decisions and difficulties he had along the way. He is very good at explaining things clearly and doesnt go off on tangents very often while maintaining a friendly and entheusiastic cadence. I like him. Sorry if it got a bit ramble-y near the end here i smoked a whole meme before typing this
>>
>>2245069
That's a pretty good way to describe him. He wants to do that, but it just doesn't feel right.
>>
>>2245065
he's sycra + the fact that he had the job most on /ic/ wish to get, so they can't shit on him like on sycra
>>
>>2245080
why do people think self promotion is bad (not saying that's what you're saying, just that i see it a lot, makes me curious)
>>
>>2245210
Probably because day9 is an arrogant piece of shit.
>>
>>2245065
better then sycra, MUCH better then jazza and not a shill like jewroko

is the stuff he puts out the most constructive and best use of your time? no, not really. Is it at least accurate without any fees, yes. Also if you play league or have any drive to see some behind the scenes riot stuff- its quite interesting

I honestly only watch him for that. The ones where he spouts positivity and opinions are just bland, uninteresting oatmeal, while the champ redesign ones have interesting content. The maokai one is what made me subscribe

Overall, not the worst, one of the better ones when he stays on topic and interesting. 7/10 sitting comfortably with will terrell
>>
>>2245506
There is promoting yourself and there is whoring yourself out.
>>
>>2245506
I think artists should devote their time to mastering their craft, not posting their work on 10 different sites and doing anything they can to get attention. Excessive focus on selfpromotion is a sign that you're more worried about being popular than doing good work.
>>
>>2245558
It's called making money have you guys never had to work in a business in your life before?
>>
>>2245569
I have, it's inefficient as shit. It's natural that companies do things in the way that makes the most money, but as an individual you might have different goals, and you should chose your priorities carefully. If you want to be as good an artist as you can be don't spend too much of your time promoting yourself, if you want to make money as quickly as possible go for exposure.
>>
>>2245576

skill is completely utterly worthless. 6, maybe 8, at the very best 10 years from now the crutches built into the software will allow any 15 year old to produce work that looks like that of someone who is NOW spending years and years to get good. It's a total waste of time to go for skill.

The only thing of value is exposure. and quite frankly, you might as well be selling yellow paperweights with your exposure. fitness meal plans. adoptables. art. all the same worthles garbage. the only thing of value is being 'someone'.
>>
>>2245598
>skill is completely utterly worthless. 6, maybe 8, at the very best 10 years from now the crutches built into the software will allow any 15 year old to produce work that looks like that of someone who is NOW spending years and years to get good. It's a total waste of time to go for skill.

How does someone even come to this conclusion?

Did you do heavy research into pioneering software? Do you just sit there in a tinfoil hat stuttering about robots in some basement? Can you even draw well?

Who the fuck are you and why are you so retarded?
>>
>>2245598
People who are skilled will still use this software much more proficiently than anyone who is just starting out.

Being good at drawing makes you a better designer.
>>
>>2245598

It might be possible in the future with advanced AI. Hardly in 10 years, though.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.