[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HELP
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8
Alright /ic/, lets see what you've got.

Here's the deal. I want to get better at drawing. Up until recently I've had no interest in drastically improving my art because I don't really draw all that much. I take really long breaks and I'm generally lazy. I want to get better at drawing because lately I've been feeling more creative and would like to express myself better through my drawings, something that is just not possible at my current level.
Now, some of you may know me, most of you probably don't so here's the thing: I want to draw generic, cute, sexy anime girls doing cute things. That's all for now.

Please provide me with advice tailored to suit my needs. If you give me good advice I will do my best to follow it, I promise.
What do I mean by good advice? Don't tell me to study Loomis or Bridgeman. Tell me something like, "Read chapter X from Y book by Loomis, it will help you because of the following reasons: ...".

Another thing about good advice is that you should give tips that have worked for you, instead of tips you've heard of.
I guess I'm really trying got avoid getting copy-pasta replies, /ic/ tends to do that a lot. Resources like the w/ic/i are fine but there's too much information to comb through, that's why I'm asking for help.

Think of this as an experiment, if you guys are able to somehow get me in shape it would be quite interesting, I think! My gallery is available for you to browse and spot problematic areas.

I know that I need to be able to represent 3D objects convincingly which is why my poses look stiff and uninteresting, please provide advice on that area.

Here's a link with most of my art from the last 4 years or so:

http://flatberry.tumblr.com/tagged/my-art

Thank you. Lets hope this works out!
>>
this is your home

>>>/pol/52766472

dont come back until mikufag is back from the dead
>>
>>2236596
hmm are you the same anon who keeps trying to "recruit" me for /pol/?
^^ ;;
Sorry, I just don't have time to learn the ways of a new board, 4chan can be too much of a distraction and my time is limited : (

update
>>
god you are so fucking lazy
the most effort you've put into anything lately is this thread and the amount of shit you wrote

get off of /ic/
go draw
dont come back until youre serious about this shit, because youre not and its painfully transparent
>>
>>2236591
>I want to get better at drawing
dropped right here. who'd believe you, after all this time.
stick to shitposting
>>
>>2236591
Lefty, my friend. I know it might seem like people are giving you stock replies when you make these questions, and a lot of them might be, but there's a thing you really need to understand. I think you believe your artistic goal is somehow lower or easier than other people, and thus what you need to study is in turn also easier. This is an illusion. No matter what your final goal in art is, all of us study the same foundamentals. You want people to teach you to draw cute girls, but people can only teach you how to draw at all, because the foundamental knowledge required to draw a cute anime girl and some generic concept art monster is essentially the same.
Now, it is true that depending on your final goal you will benefit more from certain pieces of knowledge, but for a developing artist no piece of knowledge is useless. Being wellrounded in foundamentals will eliminate all the guess work for you and it will make the act of drawing far more enjoyable once the time you bang your head against your work is reduced.
You want an easy way out but having walked the road all I can tell you is that there is none.
>>
File: 17.jpg (392 KB, 822x927) Image search: [Google]
17.jpg
392 KB, 822x927
>>2236631
1.perspective. decide where the horixon line is and where is the character.
2.use contour lines and center lines to help you with perspective.
3.draw the whole figure even if you crop it later. you do this so you can ground your character. always
if you do all this with with the op pic you will realize that the gesture&pose are not interesting.
try to do un upshot or downshot.
if you want to improve do some boxes in perspective
>>
If I want to program only puzzle games I would still have to learn an entire programming language to do so. With drawing it's the same thing, you need fundamentals to draw anatomically pleasing figures in different poses and angles. You'll even need it for your line don't look like shit, etc.
>>
>>2236591
>I want to draw generic, cute, sexy anime girls doing cute things. That's all for now.

if you want your anime girls to look better, your going to have to stop drawing anime for a while. The problem is that without a proper understanding of the underlying forms, anime just becomes cut and paste symbol drawing. what I mean is you are learning to draw "anime eyes" and "anime hair" and "anime nose", then slapping them all together on a face. That's just not how it works, every part of the face is drawn different for every new angle, you can't just stretch and compress a flat image of an eye and call it good. I would also ask if you chose that body position because it makes sense for the situation, or because it's the only one you know how to make. If you actually understand what you are drawing, then there should be nothing stopping you from drawing it in any position you want.
>>
>>2236671
>>2236683

>I think you believe your artistic goal is somehow lower or easier than other people, and thus what you need to study is in turn also easier.

Here's the thing: I used to play the piano. At first I learned to play songs by memory, and while I could hit all the notes, the song never sounded quite "right", specially when it came to the little quirks some of these pieces have(I used to play a lot of Chopin) but these could always be solved by watching other people giving tips on how to play specific parts. Music was something that was very rewarding to learn.

I later went through lessons, I learned all my scales and completed the Hanon exercises and yes, my music improved a lot but I still found it more natural to play by ear and memory, and sort of do my own thing with the song.

It's not that I think my goals are lower or that I'm too lazy to go through the motions, it's just that I think there should be a better, more entertaining way to learn how to draw, or at the very least, something that works for me.

>>2236672
thanks for the advice.
would you mind posting your blue line independently? thanks!
you're right, I've come to realize perspective is really important, what resources have you used to learn perspective? which exercises are the most useful?
Thanks!!
>>
>>2236707
>if you chose that body position because it makes sense for the situation, or because it's the only one you know how to make.

hi. Nope, this is my first time drawing this pose. I wanted it to be more action oriented, my poses tend to be too passive.

I'm afraid I still don't quite understand what you mean by "symbol drawing", everything is a symbol, isn't it? How would you interpret my drawing without the use of symbols? Thanks~
>>
>>2236715
I think what he means by symbol drawing is a figure without form, shape, depth, and space. For example you could try to foreshorten the right arm and place the ball in a more natural position; as it is right now her arm is either broken or she is in a very uncomfortable position try it out yourself and you will see that you will need to foreshorten the arm there is a curve you did not take into consideration hence why the drawing looks flat.
>>
>>2236715
https://www.google.es/search?q=perspective-and-elevation-in-figures.html&oq=perspective-and-elevation-in-figures.html&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

First result. muddy colors post
>>
>>2236715
this anon is just being salty.
your biggest issue is a combination of balance and depth thru technique (line weight and simplification of dimensional forms) the other anon was correct in sayin you should go contour over your stuff afterward to make sure the stuff has proper depth and following the perspective. Its good to first make the figure balanced in terms of the composition (even if its action) so that it reads well which usually means balancing the character in perspective.
Also like the fingers for instance really make sure that a. the form is still dimensional and represented clearly and b. its simplification is still appealing and readable. B is actually frighteningly hard and when done incorrectly results in poor symbol drawings (proper anime eyes rotate and change shape and curve depending on the angle) but merging forms, utilizing broken lines and exaggerating overlap are all legitimate techniques that when done correctly make sense and add appeal. Always check to make sure your drawing read well and the parts make sense in relationship to the whole image.
>>
File: pls.jpg (112 KB, 1315x695) Image search: [Google]
pls.jpg
112 KB, 1315x695
>>2236715
>hurr symbol drawing is so confusing
he's saying that between these two, you're more on the right side than the left.
and in this case it all has to do with your understanding of anatomy, among other things
>>
why are weebshits always so salty
>>
>lefty
>been on ic for years
>begs for attention (doing it right now)
>puts ball in ic's court, saying that its up to us for him to be a successful artist
>pushes back on people doubting his convictions, but still giving advice
>refuses to see his process as shit, still clings to his faulty methods
>refuses to do his own legwork
>refuses to see art as 'work', is only willing to work hard if we do
>even then, doubtful that he would
>even admits that he's lazy - many people are, but regardless of admitting it, that won't fix the problem

>read chapter x from y book by loomis
>resources like the w/ic/i have too much information
>this is an experiment, its not like you guys want to improve yourselves

This is a relationship that will benefit neither of us, you or /ic/. /ic/ will waste time and frustration to get you to improve, and despite our efforts, it will rely on you to fix it. You will fail again and again, because that's how life is, and you will either go back to your crutch, or actually try to improve. Based on your track record, I suggest everyone save themselves the trouble. He won't even do his own legwork, his words stink of blame and are pointed at /ic/, not himself.

Piss off. Go draw.
>>
>>2236672
>traces over a drawing
>adds wrapping lines
>calls it a red-line

will these people ever stop
>>
>>2236715
It's hard to tell what the intent of the character is. Is she supposed to be serving or did she just find a piece of shit stuck to the ball?
>>
You should craft works, and carefully consider new anatomical information while you do so.

Contemplate a provocative thigh while you draw etc.
>>
>>2237550
>red-line
Blueline guy is always very helpful
Try to fix it..oh wait, you cant
>>
>>2236738
this actually makes a lot of sense. I'm not too sure how to apply it though...

>>2236740
>>2236731
hmm i think i get it now, you're saying symbol drawing is like making a drawing out of stickers or something, right?
and yeah, I know I need to think in 3 dimensions but I don't know where to start.

>>2236769
that example is too extreme!

>>2237562
serving : (

>>2237566
>Contemplate a provocative thigh while you draw etc.
I'm not sure i understand...
>>
>>2237576
Symbol drawing is when you draw what you imagine something to be instead of what it really is. Meaning you do a lot of dumb mistakes.
>>
>>2237576

>that example is too extreme

yeah
nah, its about right
>>
>>2237581
yeah
nah, its really not
>>
Lefty, onegaishimasu! Please behead yourself kudasai!
>>
>>2237587

>he's saying that between these two, you're more on the right side than the left.
>more on the right side than the left
>more on the right

I mean
what does that mean to you
does it mean, "you are the right," or does it offer a spectrum
should I spell this out for you and Lefty or are you both dense

the example fits this situation.
>>
>>2237595
self-beheading must be a horrible way to die.
your post reminded me of the Hindi Goddess, Chhinnamasta.
>>
>>2237542
>puts ball in ic's court, saying that its up to us for him to be a successful artist
this tbh, what a twat
>>
>>2237621
Well I don't blame him you guys made a pet project out of him years ago.
>>
>>2237638
Newfag here, so what's the story about?
>>
>>2236591

The sticky is your best bet. Always has been.

Approach it humility. You are still very much "The drawing on the left".

Loomis
Vilppu
Hampton
Proko

Learn those names and look them up.
>>
>>2236591
>http://flatberry.tumblr.com/tagged/my-art

You are already doing what you say that you want to do.

Wanna make your art look better, start putting some backgrounds into your photo's. I suggest studying perspective.
>>
>>2237576
>serving
There is no way that she's going to be able to hit the ball or toss correctly if her arm is that bent.
>>
File: asd.png (120 KB, 1275x1656) Image search: [Google]
asd.png
120 KB, 1275x1656
>>
File: lines.jpg (251 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
lines.jpg
251 KB, 640x480
>>2238034
>>2238009
related
>>
>>2238039
no idea how those lines relate to anything...
>>
>>2238332
It's called action lines...sorta
>>
Never mind

Ill work to improve my art on my own and with the help of friends

Later /ic/
>>
>>2240381
>I can be bothered to actually do work so I'm gonna fuck off, p.s. I'm gonna sage this because I don't want anyone to see it and call me on my bullshit
Why don't you grow a pair and say what you mean
>>
>>2240381

Wait you forgot this!
/handsyoupocketknife
have your friends do the honors
>>
>>2236591
>generally lazy

Stopped after that
>>
>>2237568
he did literally nothing
>>
>>2236591
Anon's a lefty, because anon left.
>>
>>2240899

>Why don't you grow a pair and say what you mean
While reading the thread earlier today I became frustrated with it so I dropped the thread, I thought it was pretty obvious.
>>
>>2240953
Showing the contour of the body, how to place eyes/mouth and how to position hair is not what I call nothing tbh.
>>
>>2236715
you went through carpal tunnel for this?
jesus man. time to start doing something else
>>
>pls spoonfeed me

Not gonna make it.
>>
>>2236591
Read Loomis and Bridgman. No, seriously. You're lazy, you suck at anything that isn't copyable from your Japanese animaymays and you need to learn the fundamentals.

Start with Hampton. The whole book.
>>
>>2242826
why do people want to be spoon feed so much? Its like they want you to hold their hand when they jerk off
>>
>>2242826

It's funny how the critique board hates the concept of personalized critique. You'd rather just be able to shout "learn your fundamentals," throw stupidly generalized and constantly regurgitate advice, and not actually provide any direction or assistance.
>>
>>2243015
You are not a special snowflake, nobody is entitled to special treatment you pull your own fucking weight and you do your own homework. We are not your personal tutor.
>>
>>2243015
it's usually what's needed, when you don't have the fundamentals a personalized critique is useless
>>
i bet lefty is actually pro af and he just made this thread to troll
>>
>>2243015
They're called THE FUNDAMENTALS for a reason, dipshit.

Go learn them.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.