[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to get serious with pencil work what is the best brand
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 153
Thread images: 39
File: tumblr_mzkso3BxpB1qfzzyto1_1280.jpg (112 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mzkso3BxpB1qfzzyto1_1280.jpg
112 KB, 640x640
I want to get serious with pencil work

what is the best brand of pencil I should look for?

Are clutch pencils good? what about mechanical pencils?
>>
>>2139781
A good ol' Ticonderoga has always been my go to. I find the graphite in mechanical pencils breaks to easily when doing dark shadowing or what have you.
>>
File: 20140722_b619b6.jpg (64 KB, 945x655) Image search: [Google]
20140722_b619b6.jpg
64 KB, 945x655
Mitsubishi Hi-uni are top tier. If you don't have the cash or suck just get staedlers tho.
>>
File: drawing_tools.jpg (95 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
drawing_tools.jpg
95 KB, 1000x750
>>2139781
Tombow Mono pencils are pretty highly regarded by a lot of pros.

I prefer a 2mm lead holder because it's easier to get a fine point and more comfortable to hold. Good 2mm leads are about $1 each most places, although jetpens has Uni Mitsubishi leads at half that price that I've yet to try but are supposed to be about the same as their wooden pencils (which are great).

Pic related is what's on my desk. I've got a lot more than that, and honestly I use the Pentel P209 with 2B lead and the Staedtler Mars Technico with HB lead more than everything else.
>>
>>2139812
nice rotrings. How did you justify three of them?
>>
>>2139812
Earplugs? You dont listen to music while you work?
>>
>>2139818
I have two 0.5mm pencils for HB and 2B lead. 2B is for general writing and drawing, HB is for underdrawings I'll probably erase. The 0.3mm one is for guidelines and construction lines that I won't erase.

>>2139819
Never. I really love music and I can't just have it playing in the background without getting too into it. When I spin around in my chair there's an electric guitar, amp, and media PC ready to go, and I switch between drawing and music pretty freely. They're two separate loves, though.
>>
are these good?

https://www.artsupplies.co.uk/item-conte-sketch-set.htm

I like how french they are
>>
>>2139781
Pentel Ain Stein is great for mechanical pencil leads. 4B is pretty dark and very smooth, so you don't scratch the paper for sketches and you can work under shit light conditions.

If your leads break, get a mechanical pencil with a metal tube at the tip. Also useful if you want to use the side of the lead.

Not good are Faber-Castell pencils, too much grain compared to Pentel.
>>
>>2142353
>I like how french they are
the fuck is wrong with you
>>
>>2142846

well the french make quality art tools and this set looks like it contains all the essential items needed for a sketchbook
>>
http://www.dickblick.com/items/20477-1012/

Buy a dozen of those and you're set for a while.
>>
>>2142858
>the french make quality art tools
good quality supplies don't come with nationality, i mean, come on.
There may be french brands who make decent art supplies, but so are swedish, german or japanese and so on.
just because it's "frenchy" doesn't make it good.
Yes, I'm being butthurt.
Trying to be a bit constructive here, Conté usually does produce nice quality supplies i have to admit.
>>
File: 882.gif (331 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
882.gif
331 KB, 500x373
>>2139819
>two thousand fifteen the year of our lord
>intentionally giving yourself a distraction
>not devoting all attention to the craft
>Shiggy my diggy
>>
>>2143485
>no fun allowed
>>
>>2143485
I think wearing ear plugs is probably a last resort of a sucky artist.
>>
>>2143485
I like listening to space ambient or drone ambient. There's no groove to get into and its relaxing white noise basically. Sometimes the notes being played inspire me to draw stuff, else, it just blocks out sound fx around me
>>
File: JUST DO IT.jpg (113 KB, 600x782) Image search: [Google]
JUST DO IT.jpg
113 KB, 600x782
>>2139781
You need two things, paper and a pencil. There.
Now Seriously, if you're asking this questions you still didn't even started your journey into drawing.
So you still need to draw a couple thounsands of sketches... And I'm not joking.
"2000 drawing/sketches"
This is a goal, and to achieve it you need to be pragmatic. Buy 4 packs of those cheap print paper of 75gms, 500 sheets each and you have 2000 sketches to do. u$7 each pack = $28 bucks in paper.

Next, you need a reliable pencil to attack those thounsands of paper sheets, pick a sturdy mechanical pencil. Why a mechanical pencil?, because as I said you need to be pragmatic and practical. You can't afford to spent a fortune in wood pencils, and lose time with that. A good mechanical pencil will last forever, that's all you need.

That Pentel in the pic related is good, but you don't even need a costly one. The other day I'd bought a new mechanichal pencil for 2B leads. They showed me a bunch of mechpencils of all kinds, I choosed that one in the bottom, not because it was cheap, but because of the quality of the design. I could afford the costly ones, but I'm not a collector, I need a pencil to to do drawings.

If you can acheive that goal of wasting those 4 packs of 500 sheets of cheap papers doing sketches, you'll be more than ready to get SERIOUS about art. Next You will be askng in art stores for 2mm lead holders asking them to show you everything they have to pick the right one.
About mechanichal pencil design I'll talk below...
>>
File: YES&NO.jpg (264 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
YES&NO.jpg
264 KB, 600x800
>>2139781
"Mechanical pencil design", in the pic related I point out two basic things:
1-the point: as I show in the picture those pointy designs sucks. The tip of your finger is supposed to rest there for long periods of time, and also pressing hard. You need a nice and smooth tip design to rest your finger and hold the pencil.

2-The body: Fat, convoluted, and bloated body designs are crap for collectors or dumb people, Not good
for an artist. You need a working tool not a fancy toy. So as much the mechanical pencil design resembles an actual wood pencil or a traditional painter brush the BETTER. The design should be as sleak and smooth as possible. And as I said above it doesn't have to be a costly one. Just look for the quality of the plastic, a good sturdy piece of hard plastic is enough, a metal tip in the point is important too. Plastic tips breaks easily.
And avoid the pronounced ribeted grip on the body, a ribeting to edgy will destroy your poor fingers. Remember you'll be pressing that piece of plastic for hours and hours, and the longer you work the harder you'll be pressing the pencil because your hand will be struggling against working fatigue.

That's my advice, but also this guy agrees too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoyaGaFajSU
But as I said, Those 2mm LeadHolders and tools are for more advanced drawing.
Good Luck
>>
>>2144594
I have this pentel graphgear in the lower picture on the left.
i don't think it's "bloated". yes, a bit wider than a usual pencil would be, but nothing uncomfortable. what i had to get used to, was the weight. it's metal an thus a bit heavy.
but the main reason why i stick with with this pen is the way it transports the lead. you won't get a cheap mechanical pen that'll transport and grip 0.3 leads realiably and this is exactly what this pen does.
>>
>>2144626
I'm sorry, I shouldn't had said the "dumb people" stuff, that's not what I wanted to express here.
I know that the graphgear Pentel is a very high quality product. But I stay on my opinion about the advantage of simple and efficient design.
For example, I usually take off the metal clip from this pencils, in the Pentel GraphGear the metal clip is part of the pencil mechanism. The complexity of that pencil is already getting in the way for me, just with that extra feature.
But as I said that's just me. I keep my pencils on the drawing table, so I don't worry about mechanisms to hide and protect the tip, if the clip works, or how they look. The more simple and cost-efficient the better.
>>
>>2144645
Not him, but I was pretty surprised why you would shove these into the suck corner. But I get your general idea, which I agree with.

OTOH, the Graphgear isn't merely featuritis, the weight and front half are great for artists and people with restless hands.

>>2144593
One pack of paper at the beginning is better, if you find something better or want something for a different use you won't end up wasting space and money. Yeah, even printing paper has different use cases.
>>
>>2144675
Also, gripping hard at the tip of a pencil sounds like a recipe for injury.
>>
When first starting out id recommend using shit #2 bic mechanical pencils n regular acid free printer paper...if u want to feel fancy get cardstock. I'd also recommend a black pearl eraser because they are legit as fuck for poor fags like myself. Different drawing styles use different ways of holding the pencils. I sure as hell don't hold it the same for a rough sketch as I do for small intricate details. Just buy one of those cheap boxes of pencil grips to add to you pencil if it's actually that fucking necessary for ur hand. Also don't forget to take care of your hands n wrists....carpel tunnel, dick grip syndrome, stiff finger excuses.
>>
>>2142858
Hvilker krek er du nå på, unnskyld? Jeg vil noe av det
>>
>>2144645
thanks for the differentiation
>>
File: 55846956878.jpg (196 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
55846956878.jpg
196 KB, 620x413
>>2139781
Tombow Mono is a must. Mono 100, pic related, is what I actually have, but the normal Tombow Mono is equally good as well. Comparing to previous pencils, I feel like the pencil lead breaks a lot less, the line quality is extremely good, and the pencil tend to eat less lead when drawing. Shit's good, though it's quite expensive for pencils (it wasn't really expensive for me since I bought them directly from Japan and then a friend in Japland sent them to me through mail). Also, as a bonus, the smell of these pencils is somewhat distinct.
>>
File: image.jpg (211 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
211 KB, 1024x768
>>2144736
>black pearl

You mean pink pearl
>>
File: rotring-art_pen_pencil-set.jpg (101 KB, 740x450) Image search: [Google]
rotring-art_pen_pencil-set.jpg
101 KB, 740x450
>>2144594
Someday I'll find this beauty... some day
>>
>>2143485
>said he who posted on 4chan

Stones, glass houses, don't chuck em, etc etc
>>
>>2144990
where are you from?
>>
>>2145009
Me? Southamerica. Here I can only find the fountain rotring art pen in a single package. The lead holder pencil isn't available. I know it went out of production in the 90's tho.
I don't think that I could spend 50 dollars or more on that pencil anyways.
>>
Bamp
>>
File: WIN_20150711_120232.jpg (766 KB, 1024x1463) Image search: [Google]
WIN_20150711_120232.jpg
766 KB, 1024x1463
>>2142353

I finally got round to getting these as well as midtone sketchbook

love them, first time using charcoal and carbon pencil and they are awesome, they work better than graphite for toned paper, are darker and I also like how it doesn't have that "shine"

The only exception is the "pierre noire 3B" which you can see is the one on the far right, the lead broke multiple time and it's already that small after using it for just a day
>>
Babamp
>>
>>2143485
go away richard williams
>>
>>2143410
Bullshit. Then get everything from china. Theres a reason for example why japan made products are held in high regard. Theyre crafted better
>>
>>2139781
>clutch pencil

No idea what that is, i'm not pro enough

>mechanical pencil

I use a pentel graphgear loaded with 4H lead for very light drawings/planning out. It doesn't smudge as much as hb as I have very sweaty hands, and erases pretty clean as long as you don't dig. So yes, mechanical pencils are useful for certain things.

If I were you I'd just pick up a set of pencils ranging from 4B to 4H and play around.
>>
>>2143485
>not listening to fitting music
I listen to weebshit when drawing weebshit, soft music for landscapes, angry music for lolsoedgy drawings, etc
>>
are these ones ok?
>>
Hijacking the thread.

What are fun ways to color sketches I can experiment with? What types of markers should I pick up, etc?

I hear copic is good but that shit's crazy expensive.
>>
babump
>>
Anyone have a good alternative to jetpens ? their international shipping settlements are completely ridiculous.

>No Tracking Available. Delivery is Not Guaranteed. Please wait 45 calendar days from shipment date but no more than 75 days after shipment date before initiating a lost package inquiry.

10$ for 45 unsecured business days shipping from the us to Europe ? seriously ?
>>
File: 1.jpg (357 KB, 574x1000) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
357 KB, 574x1000
>>2139781

I've only been doing this for a little while so I can't speak with any authority, but personally I prefer clutch and mechanical pencils when I'm out doing studies - there's less mess without needing a sharpener and if you get the right leads you can get some really strong values. This was drawn using a Faber Castell TK 4600 clutch with 2.0 mm 2B lead, and the gridlines and underdrawing were made using a Staedtler Mars Micro with 0.7mm 2B lead. The best advice I can give you with regards to the mechanical pencils is to grab affordable pencils, but high-quality lead. Also shell out for a decent kneadable eraser as well. I hope my advice was helpful.
>>
>>2155339
Not one who sells everything, but google always got me some hits with office suppliers. And most companies have branches in europe which list official resellers on their website.
>>
File: WIN_20150720_084955.jpg (411 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
WIN_20150720_084955.jpg
411 KB, 1024x768
Any tutorial on who to draw on toned paper?

when should I be using sepia/sanguine pencil? when I use white charcoal it looks like I'm using too much
>>
>>2158578
Check his channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/marcellobarenghi/videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znW9gxQY5YE
>>
>>2143485
What's the matter anon? You aren't smart enough to focus on two things at the same time?
>>
>>2158594

That wasn't a tutorial, he used more than just pencils, only one video used a light toned paper and I learned nothing
>>
>>2139781
>getting serious
>pencil art
>>
>>2139796

I single Hi-Uni is like $2.50 at jetpens, it's not that bad.
>>
>>2139812

The sad thing is the P20(x)s or Alvin Draftmatics will outlive the Rotrings
>>
>>2159745

Individually it's not that bad, but still it's in copic marker price tier
>>
File: 11kjzb5.png (238 KB, 800x319) Image search: [Google]
11kjzb5.png
238 KB, 800x319
>>2151396
actually it was milt kahl, but the're both pretty autistic
>>
File: 2i91i7b.jpg (15 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
2i91i7b.jpg
15 KB, 640x360
>>2143485
>>
>>2158578
lol study from life faggot
>>
>>2139781
Okay this is just my preference. But I Staedtler have been my fave for the past eight years.
>>
>>2139781
Kooh-I-Nor are my personal favourites. Never failed me yet and they are gorgeous to work with.
>>
>>2139781

OP pic is a palamino blackwing
>>
>>2139781
The best pencils are the ones you already have.
>>
>>2167264
I got a box of them as a gift once. I hate pencils to be honest.. But God it was nothing short of excellent to work with.

If you're serious about pencils, and are looking for some heavier blacks, with an unreal smoothness. These are for you
>>
File: WIN_20150802_135207.jpg (262 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
WIN_20150802_135207.jpg
262 KB, 1024x768
>>2158578

me again *2 weeks later*

have I improved? what do I need to work on?
>>
>>2173717
That looks great. I dunno, some guy gave you links to pencil art videos, other said ¨draw from life¨... I think you improved because you found something in yourself not because someone told you something.

At some point there´s only one thing that becomes common ground to every artist: ¨get out of your comfort zone¨. But it´s too soon to throw that at you. You´re doing good, and you should keep filling sketch books.
You seem to be interested in natural figure, so you should check Proko´s channel asap. He´s doing some amazing anatomy classes and also giving critiques.
http://www.youtube.com/user/ProkoTV/videos
>>
>>2171175
originals or reproduction?
>>
File: Gumby-1-.jpg (514 KB, 1631x1800) Image search: [Google]
Gumby-1-.jpg
514 KB, 1631x1800
>>2173717
Idk but you can probably draw a very kickass gumby.
>>
>>2173717
Thats a pretty good elephant there anon.
>>
>>2173717
I'm going to require the name of the sketch book. I've been wanting a tinted sketch book for years now.
>>
>>2178897

Seawhite Kraft book I think
>>
>>2173820

I think it's important sometimes for people to analyse a problem and try to figure it out themselves first (like doing math exercises, try solving it first before checking the answers at the back of the book).
When I started with digital I spent more time playing around with the software than looking up tutorials and it looks like that anon improved by limiting to two pencils.
>>
Bamp
>>
File: MJER.jpg (24 KB, 350x277) Image search: [Google]
MJER.jpg
24 KB, 350x277
I just ordered one of these. Did I make a good investment?
>>
>>2189034
Definitely, those things are very useful. This guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26VlD_Yfk_Q
made a review of a bunch of electrical erasers, but I can´t find the video anymore. It was really great. Maybe he took it down because he named several brands and made very harsh critiques. He said the old big ones are the best and that´s what he use. Those with a cord and a stand, but those are expensive and the best of them went out of production.
Anyway he also reviewed a couple of the mini erasers and said that they were very reliable tools. You definitely need one of those.
>>
File: review.png (8 KB, 385x222) Image search: [Google]
review.png
8 KB, 385x222
>>2139812
>Tombow Mono
You can't beat a review like that.
>>
File: Mechanical Pencil Collection.jpg (116 KB, 512x634) Image search: [Google]
Mechanical Pencil Collection.jpg
116 KB, 512x634
Here´s a site about mechanical pencils and lead holders. Huge collection of them, with info and pictures. Awesome stuff for the pencil drawing enthusiast:
http://leadholder.com/
>>
>>2144990
Are those valuable? I've got several just lying around the house. Don't think the pens work any more, though.
>>
>>2143852
wearing earplugs is to cancel out distractions. some people have trouble focusing on tasks with distractions.
>>
>>2191667
The art pencil is, the art pen not so much.

>>2151887
Lyra usually does produce good quality, yes.
>>
File: PENXO_2MM Lead Holder.jpg (36 KB, 1000x657) Image search: [Google]
PENXO_2MM Lead Holder.jpg
36 KB, 1000x657
Holy shit u$330,000 for this? Did someone here bought one of these?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bitsfactory/penxo-the-most-minimalistic-2mm-lead-holder-pencil/description
>>
>>2189034

Arrived today, shit is amazing. Kinda hard atm to make straight highlight lines but that's all with practice
>>
>>2196253
You are allowed to use an eraser shield with those, you know.
>>
>>2196322

What the fuck is an eras*googles*

Well the more you know, I now feel that there exists art tools for every art problems imaginable
>>
File: 5-porte-mines-jetables-bic.jpg (8 KB, 340x340) Image search: [Google]
5-porte-mines-jetables-bic.jpg
8 KB, 340x340
Nobody else use them ?
>>
>>2196414
They slip too much. Not bad in a pinch but once you buy one you really like, you save on just buying lead.
>>
>>2196372
Look through an old technical drawing book some day. There's all sorts of awesome drawing tools and techniques out there that aren't commonly used nowadays because professionals use CAD.

My grandmother was an artist, and she took technical drawing back when she had to get special permission to take a "boys class". She said it was a very useful class and encouraged me to learn it. I was taught traditional in my grade-school shop class fortunately, but even in college they taught a little basic traditional drawing before moving on to CAD.

Pencil extenders are also essential, but some people don't know about those either apparently.

>>2196414
A 2-pack of Pentel P205 drafting pencils (that will last decades) is $4 right now on Amazon. For that matter, though, the Papermate Sharpwriter is the best disposable mechanical pencil (I'm >>2139812 and I've tried them all) because the lead advance mechanism is a big spring with some give to it. That makes it terrible for anything requiring precision but amazing for light sketches.
>>
>>2143485

I get more easily distracted without music than with it. Good music gets me focused, without music I tend to get restless and any random noise will snap me out of what I'm drawing.
>>
>>2196812

seconding this

if you want to be hood you need a zebra m-301 or pentel p20(x)
>>
Can someone make a goddamn 2 mm Lead holder with a fucking eraser? Goddamn. I love my Stadtler 380 but seriously. Is there one for under 10 dollars?
>>
>>2196857
Why would you want one with an eraser that will be ground down eventually anyway wtf.
>>
>>2196857
Just get a white rubber instead, if you're reliant enough on erasing to need more than just a block eraser you probably have line confidence and accuracy issues to work out mang
>>
Anybody got any input on Palomino pencils? Friend of mine brought the name up but I'm not sure how they compare to other pencils.
>>
>>2196857
I think there's a reason why 2mm holders don't come with an attached eraser. Those are usually used as high quality long lasting tools. There's not much snese in adding a little eraser to them.
Specially in art an attached eraser for a big ass 2mm leadholder sounds kinda ridiculous tbh.
>>
File: Faber Castell Tk4600.jpg (134 KB, 1501x2227) Image search: [Google]
Faber Castell Tk4600.jpg
134 KB, 1501x2227
>>2196857
I prefer much more the lead sharpener instead of the eraser tbh
>>
>>2196944

they're like sanford/prisma Ebony or Generals #555 from what I understand but smoother
>>
5201 master race reporting in
>>
>>2151887
These are great.
>>
File: merc20593003v.jpg (56 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
merc20593003v.jpg
56 KB, 350x350
Stole two of these at a Wilkinson store and bloody hell they suck!
I've been smudging my charcoal work with tissue and they do a much better job imo
>>
File: The Heavyweight PencilL.jpg (52 KB, 450x800) Image search: [Google]
The Heavyweight PencilL.jpg
52 KB, 450x800
"The Heavyweight PencilL" 2mm leadholder... Now this thing is ridiculous. I would go insane having to hold the pencil in one fixed position with my fingers stuck like that.
>>
>>2158606
Nobody can focus in two things at the same time, it's scientifically proven. You focus in two things and you'll do worse in both.
>>
>>2205434

What? Not even that guy, but you don't focus on music. It's just pleasant noise to have. I can understand liking it silent so you can focus, but still.
>>
>>2205438
He was accusing the other anon of being stupid since he couldn't focus on 2 things at the same time. Besides, using music as background noise is harmful to your attention span.
>>
>>2139904
I do the exact same. I have my amp set up with my bass and guitar in the corner of my room and while I'm waiting for paint to dry or taking a break from drawing I'll start playing guitar. Keeps me productive and means that I'm not sitting around doing nothing
>>
>>2144990
Searched on Amazon and came up straight away
>>
>>2205451
Post your guitar
>>
>>2178897
I'd recommend Daler Rowney earthbound sketchbook
>>
>>2205458
In bed at the minute. I have a fender telecaster and a hofner galaxie
>>
>>2205455
That's the inking pen, the lead holder one is really hard to find.
>>
buy a rubber pencil. That way you won't ruin your paper.
>>
>>2139812
I have a Rotring 600 leadholder and I love it. 2mm with the Uni Mitsubishi lead. Really nice kit there mate.
>>
>>2139904
>>2139819

I put on soft ambient music with in-ear headphones. Helps cut down background noise and the music isn't distracting. Give it a try.
>>
>>2139781

I use a Rotring 600 .05 mm, .07 mm and 2 mm. 2B or HB. I usually just draw something, scan it, and clean it up in ps. I am not a good artist so it's not worth posting any here. For the 2mm I use Uni Mitsubishi lead. I got it on sale on JetPens so I ordered a bunch. Moleskin notebooks, again I got them for cheap. If I didn't have a boat load of the Moleskin I would just use the printer paper we have at work since I could take a rem and no one would notice. Magic White erasers for my hard ones and just cheapo kneaded erasers.

Overall I would say it's really nice to have different size pencil's that have the same body type because you can easily switch between then for the different lines you need to lay down. I really really like the Uni Mitsubishi lead, and I fear running out of my supply. As for the lead in the other pencils I just use cheapo Pentel. It gets the job done.
>>
>>2205451
It's nice to always have a plan B for when drawing or playing guitar get too frustrating. If I can't add a few more BPM to a lick I'm practicing, then slow, deliberate drawing helps me to relax a little and gives my fretting hand a break.

>>2205485
Thanks. I've since added a set of grey Copics, a handful of felt-tipped pens, and an architect lamp (the Pixar animation one). The lamp is my new favorite thing. Having a bulb you can move around freely close to the page is a lot easier on the eyes.

I still use a 2mm lead holder and 0.9mm pencil 90% of the time.

I forgot to put my eraser shield in that photo, but I use it all the time to keep my edges sharp and pick out bad marks. I usually draw on a clipboard with a dozen sheets of copy paper too.
>>
>>2205007
>stealing shifty equipments instead of lamys
>>
>>2139819
>>2139812

Yo good on the earplugs. I had a teacher who wouldn't let us listen to music in class so we would focus. When I'm doing sculptural work, I wear my mask, gloves, and ear protection mostly to drown out all outside sources, sort of like a mild sensory deprivation. It feels safe.
>>
If I'm still a beginner should I get a decent mechanical pencil? or Am I fine off using any 2mm mechanical pencil?
>>
>>2208738
It's the same technically. Economically it's going to be cheaper though, because those mechanical pencils will last forever and eventually you just have to buy some lead packages.
The Staedtler Mars 780 Technical Mechanical Pencil, 2mm is the most usual choice. Proko use them. You should get at least two of them one for HB leads an the other for a 2B or 4B lead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoyaGaFajSU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pV-TRVxon4
>>
>>2208738
Sorry I misunderstood your question, I thought you were talking about wooden pencil vs mechanical pencils.
The answer keeps the same I believe. Personally, aside from the Staedtler mars technico, I would like to have one of these too >>2202348 the clean plastic grip seems to be more comfortable than the metal grip on the Staedtler.
>>
>>2208738
Don't use either. Use charcoal pencils and pastels. Stabilo Carbothellos, Generals, Faber Castell Polychromos, Conte, ect.

>Am I fine off using any 2mm mechanical pencil?

Only if you're doing your homework.
>>
File: sketching every day.jpg (159 KB, 612x750) Image search: [Google]
sketching every day.jpg
159 KB, 612x750
>>2208914
I tried this approach during my first years as a self taught art student, and it was a waste of money. I remember I bought all those things and more, oils, brushes, canvases, easels, varnish, and at the end none of that was well used, or actually used at all. If someone is gonna make a big buy of artistic tools he also have to invest in a teacher to show him first hand how to use all that stuff so it doesn't end up being a waste.
Getting focused in one thing consistently and do that every day is a safe bet. Pencil, paper and sketching is a foolproof system to start and to get a solid foundation in art. After the years I began to feel confident to go back to oils, watercolor and other mediums. But first it is mandatory to get gud with your drawing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NIvZZ7x3dc
>>
File: pencils.com.png (50 KB, 485x156) Image search: [Google]
pencils.com.png
50 KB, 485x156
http://pencils.com/

Check this site it has everything, articles, reviews, tutorials, pencil history sections and tons of stuff.
>>
>>2151989
Watercolor is quick and fun

>>2155339
Did you check amazon?
>>
Idk. I just use Kimberly pencils. Worked really well for me. Use a mechanical pencil with 2h for line work. Then a 2b or darker for filling in.
>>
Is there any advantages in using a 2mm mechanical pencil over a regular drawing pencil? The only benefits I see now for them is that they are cheaper in the long run (just have to refill leads). I generally dislike using mechanical pencils because I tend to break the leads a lot. Do cheap ones differ a lot in quality from the expensive ones? I'm currently looking at these ones: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mechanical-Pencils-2-0-pencil-propelling-pencil-2b-carpenter-pencil-Drawing/32274368843.html
>>
>>2212293
They are much easier to sharpen and you can change the form of the tip without having to cut wood away.

No clue about quality or what is good, I don't use 2mm or wooden pencils much.
>>
>World’s Most Expensive Pencil
Graf von Faber-Castell $13,400
>>
File: GCFaberCastell029.jpg (109 KB, 578x724) Image search: [Google]
GCFaberCastell029.jpg
109 KB, 578x724
>>2215400
>that utter feeling of disgust

"Inspired by selected writing instruments produced by my ancestors, I saw it as a personal challenge to rediscover these products of a past age, and to bring them up to date with timeless design and the use of modern technology. This idea took shape as the Graf von Faber-Castell Collection."
>>
>>2211631

awesome stuff dude
>>
>>2139781
That pic is fucking amazing, that yours?

I always used clutch pencils and they're just as comfortable as regular pencils, but I'm going to transition to mechanical pencils soon 'cause I only do linework
>>
File: search.jpg (118 KB, 950x412) Image search: [Google]
search.jpg
118 KB, 950x412
>>2217865
>>
File: Some Russian.jpg (280 KB, 1024x3792) Image search: [Google]
Some Russian.jpg
280 KB, 1024x3792
>>2217865
http://zoomo.ru/bloknot-hudozhnika-may-ann-licudine/
>>
File: shot-20150913-2039-hnvkq6.jpg (163 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
shot-20150913-2039-hnvkq6.jpg
163 KB, 1280x800
>>2217865
>>2217949
Found it:
http://www.mayannlicudine.com/mall_home.html
>>
>>2217949
>>2217959

Wrong
Artist name is shardula
>>
>>2217977
WRONG. MALL and shardula are the same artist:
http://shardula.tumblr.com/
>>
File: 37188.jpg (83 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
37188.jpg
83 KB, 600x400
E+M Workbox Set - 5.5 mm Clutch Lead Holder + Sharpener
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=2&v=QEPrJEXxTfk
>>
>>2143485
>not gathering inspiration and ideas from music while you work
>>
Found on amazon:
26 Piece Drawing and Sketching Pencil Art Set - Deluxe Kit Perfect for Beginners, Kids or Returning Artists - Art Supplies Include Graphite and Charcoal Pencils and Sticks and Everything You Need to Get Started on Your Next Drawing - Packed in a Reusable Case
$14.99
>>
>>2142353
topkek
>>
File: OHTO-Sharp-Pencil.jpg (56 KB, 819x803) Image search: [Google]
OHTO-Sharp-Pencil.jpg
56 KB, 819x803
First time that I see this OHTO Sharp Pencil ones. I would love to get these.
>>
>>2229765
I don't like these, the bulky body gets in the way if you need to use sides of the pencil for wider strokes. You can extend the lead further but that just means more chance of breakage.

If you just like the gimmick of a wood body get a Kitaboshi 2mm Lead Holder
>>
File: Kitaboshi Lead Holder - 2 mm.jpg (38 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
Kitaboshi Lead Holder - 2 mm.jpg
38 KB, 600x400
>>2229795
I dunno man, I still believe those OHTO looks much more nicer than the Kitaboshi
>>
>>2139781
i just bought tombows and i fucking love them they look great and they are so smooth.
>>
>>2224895
looks awful
>>
>>2229807
Awful but useful for that price.
>>
>>2232200
Not if it's all shit. I see gritty, sandy pencils with broken lead, charcoal of even more dubious quarity, an eraser made of concrete that will rip a hole in the page, pencil sharpeners that will eat pencils and break tips and useless graphite sticks that no one uses to the point that they don't even sell them individually under any reputable brand.

Tell me again what is useful about a big ugly plastic box that will break in a week full of cheap shit that is already broken like your dreams of becoming a concept artist need to be.
>>
>>2151566
this
I like listening to music that inspires me to draw things of the same feeling/atmosphere etc
>>
>>2224895
>>2232200
It's probably better to get a trusted brand. Doesn't have to be the most expensive stuff either, I personally really like faber castell or koh-i-noor is really widely spread here but idk if they sell that in amercas. they are good and not too expensive. And if price is an issue you don't need the whole range of pencils, you will use mainly one, usually 2b or 4b depending on your preference. You can safely skip charcoal and I don't even know what those sticks are,I don't dare think that is conte. Sharpeners are cheap in any fucking store or try a knife some people prefer that.
>>
>>2143485
I just put in that Boards of Canada Radio on Pandora and start squiggling.
>>
File: PR_Blackwing_107342_Final.jpg (244 KB, 639x639) Image search: [Google]
PR_Blackwing_107342_Final.jpg
244 KB, 639x639
ive been using palomino blackwings for years now. by far my favourite. very smooth, but crisp when you want them to be. work well for traditional animation and loose expressive stuff like gesture drawing. they're really long when they're new as well so it feels good in your hand. the rubber is extendable and is held in place by a metal clip. the metal at the top of the pencil is shaped like that so it doesn't roll off the table. they also do a really nice sharpener which gives them a really long point so you can use it at an angle to block in areas easily.
>>
Babump
>>
Bumpen
>>
sayonara
>>
>>2139812
Steadler 2mm Lead Holder
muh nigga
>>
>>2139781
>I want to get serious about writing
>what kind of keyboard should I use

Literally just go steal your pencils from Ikea and buy some fucking printing paper.
>>
>>2245549

>not knowing about mechanical keyboards

Your typing experience must be shitty
Thread replies: 153
Thread images: 39

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.