[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How. the. fuck. do you get a perfect cube out of an ellipse.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: e_5.jpg (36 KB, 700x474) Image search: [Google]
e_5.jpg
36 KB, 700x474
How. the. fuck.

do you get a perfect cube out of an ellipse.

I don't mean the other way around, I mean how the fuck do you calculate a perfect ellipse?? It doesn't make any sense

I understand that the minor axis should be in perspective and I understand the 4 points should touch each vertice of the face of said triangle but how? do you just guess it?

in scott robertson's book, it says to "estimate the degree of the ellipse" how can I know if my estimation of the degree is right?

this is driving me crazy
>>
You just have to feel the ellipse
>>
Just feel it man
>>
>>2309398
>>2309391

ok, so ic really is a shithole.
I think I get it now for whoever wants to hear me up.

after trying so hard for one week to have nice ellipses, I'm so glad I got it.

so! you need to consider all aspects of an ellipse as well as your perspective (1point, 2 points)

I thought that since it was a plane I should have only considered one of the points but, of course, that's bullshit. ignore the major axis and only consider the minor axis.
both part an ellipse in half but one parts it in half and also has a degree
>>
>>2309406
Agreed ic is shit tier.
Also it's not 100% precise and the minor axis never point directly to the VP but it is very close in both cases. I built grids using this method and they have like 2-5% of error but honestly no one will notice it, if you want somethign more precise you have to go with a very boring and technical grid with 45/45 cube technique
>>
File: 1360257657643.jpg (33 KB, 350x343) Image search: [Google]
1360257657643.jpg
33 KB, 350x343
>>2309406

>cant feel what hes drawing
>blames /ic/
>>
>>2309452

This.

The force is not with you, young faggot.
>>
>>2309406
What they mean by "feel it" is to just imagine the ellipse on the paper with out actually drawing it.
>it would have been that hard to figure out your self...
>Retard
>>
Here is how I did it:

Buy a little wooden cylinder and other primitives if you want

Buy some gesso and slap an even coat on there

Buy a lamp and make a little still life

Draw it starting with the cylinder facing you then gradually turn it until you can no longer see the elipse, drawing each turn.
>>
>>2309387
go back to geometry class
>>
>>2309387
If you can't feel it then you have a long way to go...
>>
>>2309387
>people can't do this
I had no idea
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.