[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could you have designed a better Joker, /ic/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 20
File: NewJokerLeto.jpg (44 KB, 421x628) Image search: [Google]
NewJokerLeto.jpg
44 KB, 421x628
Could you have designed a better Joker, /ic/?
>>
I don't get why he has a tattoo of HA HA HA but everything else is great
>>
>>2065475
I would played safe with a pale green haired dude, he looks like a Deviatn Art OC
>>
>>2065477
>"Damaged" on forehead
>great
>>
File: 1412987397676.jpg (11 KB, 297x170) Image search: [Google]
1412987397676.jpg
11 KB, 297x170
The new Joker for what?
>>
>>2065475
Why the terrible dental hygiene?
>>
>>2065502
SI SEÑOR
>>
What's Jared's life expectancy now that he's playing you know who.
>>
>>2065475
Needs more Ledger.
>>
If it wasn't for the tattoos he'd be perfect.

>>2065503

Because he's been getting his teeth knocked out by Batman for years.
>>
>>2065475
>not a naked batman on his crotch
That's not the joker.
>>
>>2065475
but in the comics joker never opens his mouth fully
>>
File: yah nah.gif (2 MB, 236x224) Image search: [Google]
yah nah.gif
2 MB, 236x224
>>2065475
>that one purple glove
>>
Don't see why you guys need to hate on the design. I think it looks pretty cool. Definitely has the personality of the Joker.
>>
>>2065703
...no, it really doesn't.
>>
>>2065475
I just imagine him going into a tattoo shop and sitting patiently while they tattoo "hahaha" all over him. Would make more sense if they were like self inflicted cuts or he tried to tattoo himself so they look super shit tier and are scarring.

Also, he looks like a faggy my chemical romance band member or just a drug junky. Wouldn't take him seriously.

And ff I just saw the image in black and white, I probably wouldn't be able to tell that it was suppose to be the joker.

But I'm a big faggot and probably still couldn't design better. So props to whoever made it.
>>
Everyone also disliked Hedgers Joker. We will just have to see how he pulls off the acting.
>>
>>2065717
The best part is faggot fanboys are going to get 'hahahahaa' tattoos now. I pretty much agree with this post, I would design joker in a strait jacket then develop his character into the suit wearing criminal
>>
File: 1429953318457.jpg (38 KB, 480x544) Image search: [Google]
1429953318457.jpg
38 KB, 480x544
>>2065475
>>
>>2065730
God damn it.
>>
2edgy4me
>>
File: 1309553523163.jpg (15 KB, 181x210) Image search: [Google]
1309553523163.jpg
15 KB, 181x210
I like the tattoo angle but the guy looks like he came straight out of a bad eurodance musicvideo from the early 90s.
>>
File: MARILYNmanson[1].jpg (33 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
MARILYNmanson[1].jpg
33 KB, 800x600
>>2065475
mom is that you
>>
>>2065739
marilyn manson is better joker design actally
>>
>>2065475
The new donte.
>>
>>2065475
Christ what the shit is this
>>
>>2065739
So is Marilyn Manson still cool? I'd assume his edgyness has been outplayed by now. I mean like is his music and appearance still top edgyness?
>>
>>2065717
But could you make it as bad as whoever did it?
>>
lol, nobody here could. Everybody shat all over Heath Ledger getting casted, but as soon as the movie came out they were all over him.
>>
Anybody could. Draw someone with a green hair and chances are you'll have a better Joker than this one. Write characteristics on paper, throw them to the air, pick three, draw and you'd make a better Joker.
>>
>>2065730
save'd
>>
>>2065475
>Hey guys, I know!
>Let's make this Joker sooooooo different from the others!
>It'll be great!
>>2065502
Suicide Squad, I think? I don't know, I won't watch it anyways.
>>2065703
...if by the Joker you mean some punk rock drummer on cocaine.
>>2065717
>And ff I just saw the image in black and white, I probably wouldn't be able to tell that it was suppose to be the joker.
Pretty good point.
>>
>>2065717
>I just imagine him going into a tattoo shop and sitting patiently while they tattoo "hahaha" all over him.

exactly this, this madman just called a tattoo parlor and booked a time. "Hey can you make me a forehead tattoo that says 'Damaged' in these like swirly-type letters? Like it's hand written you know?" and he got a 25% discount because he played bass in a band with the tattoo artist's brother in high school. Badass joker.
>>
he looks like someone from tumblr
>>
>>2065475
looks stupid as hell, especially the tattoos
>>
>>2065717
kek i just saw pic related on my facebook too

NEW BATMAN DESIGN
>>
File: CDbKyMTW8AAOZYO.jpg (62 KB, 520x756) Image search: [Google]
CDbKyMTW8AAOZYO.jpg
62 KB, 520x756
>>2065475
i think this is a significantly improved design
>>
>>2065847
You can almost listen the "DIE CIS SCUM!" Come out of his lungs.
>>
>>2065475
Well now we know what a Dan Luvisi design would look like on screen.
>>
>>2065773
To be fair designing shit is pretty tough, especially for a mass market. If it was just one dude who was working on the Joker concept, I would imagine he had a bunch of limitations and certain criteria that forced him towards this direction. It probably is the best design for what the studio was asking for, but still pretty shit from the outside looking in.

If this dude was given no limits though and could have made anything and this was the result, then yea I'd like to think I could make something that isn't as bad. lol
>>
>>2065881
>To be fair designing shit is pretty tough,

Not when your task is to redesign a character that is already very established. Other designers have already done the hard work many years ago. They have created an iconic look and color scheme and certain design elements that you just need to scratch off your check list. Plus you are given a photo of the actor himself, so you don't even have to bother worrying about designing the face and body, the posture etc.
>>
File: betterdesign.jpg (149 KB, 421x628) Image search: [Google]
betterdesign.jpg
149 KB, 421x628
>>
>>2065881
Sure shit is though.

But then this thread is just a retarded topic anyway. Back to doing interesting stuff.
>>
>>2065475
in the other photo he had like a white tux, which looked pretty cool
>>
>>2065475
his face is way too clean
>>
>>2065866
Why would Bruce Wayne have a bunch of Batman tattoos, I don't get it
>>
File: Jokerkillingjoke[1].png (119 KB, 300x229) Image search: [Google]
Jokerkillingjoke[1].png
119 KB, 300x229
>>2065477
>>
File: buggy.jpg (464 KB, 831x716) Image search: [Google]
buggy.jpg
464 KB, 831x716
>>2065475
>>
>>2065866
>>2065936
I pooped my pants im lold so hard
>>
>>2065475
not with Jared Leto

the guy is already a try hard, he can't make a good Joker.
>>
>>2065475
co post:
aha twitter is killing it

>I think what surprises me about the Suicide Squad Joker photo is that is feels like the kind of design misstep you'd see in games, not films
>that obsession with making something look "cool," rather than designing something compelling and true to the character/narrative context
>in what world would the Joker get self-referential tattoos that look, quite frankly, like they cost several hundred dollars each
>@shoomlah I think if joker would get hahaha tatoos he himself would make them without even looking at a mirror
>@jumbopaulo yeah, give me some gross asymmetrical scarification or something!

>Joker: I want the word "Damaged" tattooed on my forehead! Hahaha!

>Tattoo artist: Font?

>Joker: Allura cursive, please! Hahahaha!
>>
File: Die-Antwoord[1].jpg (450 KB, 1984x1601) Image search: [Google]
Die-Antwoord[1].jpg
450 KB, 1984x1601
>>2065964
yeah, i thought they might of been going for a ninja from die antwoord look. but he has crappy jailhouse style tattoos mainly.
>>
I think the most accurate criticism I saw is that he looks like one of the Joker's henchmen rather than the Joker.

I don't know why people keep fucking the character up. Jack Nicholson was fat and wore a ridiculously fake looking prosthetic and clownface. Heath Ledger's costume had almost nothing to do with the Joker's design. And here they get the hair, skin and lips absolutely perfect and STILL fuck it up by covering him in tryhard tattoos.

The Joker is a very simple design. He's a skinny guy with white skin, green hair and red lips who wears a purple suit. He's not supposed to look "OMGSOEVUL" and he's not supposed to look like a vagrant. He doesn't need to be spruced up to look more villainous. Batman is the character who dresses like a villain. Joker has a much more unassuming appearance. It's his dead eyes that give him away.
>>
>>2065953
he's a great actor with some really good films under his belt, really disappointed to see this shitty joker though
>>
File: TheProdiker.jpg (63 KB, 585x249) Image search: [Google]
TheProdiker.jpg
63 KB, 585x249
>>2065475
Probably one of the most awful Joker designs I've ever seen. It's like he's a campy, effeminate Boardway version of that guy from The Prodigy. He's just so painfully inauthentic and theatrical.
>>
File: Jokler.jpg (48 KB, 571x654) Image search: [Google]
Jokler.jpg
48 KB, 571x654
>>2065475
Rehashing designs, I see.
>>
File: JokeMongler.jpg (12 KB, 381x371) Image search: [Google]
JokeMongler.jpg
12 KB, 381x371
>>
I know it's already been said but the fucking tattoos really take me out of it.

Like, can you imagine some crazy nigger walking into the tattoo parlor and asking for the tattoo he wants, then he has to sit there for 5 hours, occasionally casually chatting with the guy doing the tattoo.
Then he thanks the tattoo artist, pays him and walks out.

Like really, come the fuck on.
>>
>>2065475
this is outrageous,

jared leto is a rapist and we're talking about this, ha.

hahahahaha HA
>>
>>2066864
>jared leto is a rapist

checked google out of curiosity, aaaand I'm done. That's enough internet for today.
>>
>>2066831
Well, he could always get a tattoo by some underguy dude or in prison. It's more that the tattoos are pristine and obviously done by a very skilled tattoo artist. The other problem is that that tattoos are self-referential and written in a font that is only every used in cartoons.
Even without the tattoos, nothing works, because he looks like such a fucking poser. He's looks like a Broadway interpretation of a vocalist in some industrial band that relies entirely on image.

While I'm not a big fan of the Joker character to begin with, this is the anti-thesis of what his character is about. Heath Ledger's Joker got a ton of shit when it was first released, but at least the character had some of the essence of the Joker. He looked like a ragged piece of shit, because he didn't care that much about his appearance. This Joker looks like he only cares about his image, and that there's nothing beneath. Might be because Jared Leto is the world's biggest poser.

Seriously, the only emotion I can muster when looking at that image, is wanting to beat the shit out of that faggot.
>>
>>2065499

fuck I didn't see that. yea that's the finale straw though the design sucks two dicks now.
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LPJ8b7zwa98
>>
>>2065891
Do you have a tumblr?
>>
File: Joker_(Alex_Ross).jpg (51 KB, 300x379) Image search: [Google]
Joker_(Alex_Ross).jpg
51 KB, 300x379
>>2066879
> but at least the character had some of the essence of the Joker. He looked like a ragged piece of shit, because he didn't care that much about his appearance.
Is that what the Joker was supposed to be like? Honest question, I know nothing about comics but I've always seen him depicted as a pretty smooth guy. I thought that was his intended appearance. Not defending this redesign by the way.
>>
>>2067001
The movie version was an anarchist, so while he certainly intended to present an image, he didn't stand in front of the mirror for an hour, applying makeup. His image was also part of his mental state, as the facial scarring was connected to his image of a smiling clown.

Same with the comic Joker. He clearly presents an image, which is that of an evil clown in a suit. But that's who he is, and it doesn't really require any effort. His pale skin and green hair is natural, so that doesn't require makeup, so all he really does it put on a purple suit. It's congruent with who he is. Leto's Joker looks like a massive try-hard, and like he belongs in the emo/alternative/punk music scene, aimed at teenagers. The image trumps who he is, and he's essentially copied an extremely commercialized image based on teenage angst and rebellion. You can't say that about a clown in a purple suit. The Joker owns that.
>>
>>2065717
Yeah, I really wish the tattoos didn't look like they were done at a quality parlor and instead like he scratched them himself. It would be an extra special touch I think if the tattoos were oriented from his perspective, meaning they would be upside down to everyone but him or someone looking at them from his angle.

Also I smell some sort of Hot Topic merch campaign out of this.
>>
>>2067001
How the fuck does Alex Ross draw so well
>>
>>2067104
Because he has the same last name as Bob Ross?
>>
>>2067104
Literally Loomis.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPJ8b7zwa98
>>
This looks like an alternative universe joker in which he fronts a gang.

It's a shame because the suicide squad is such a bad ass concept.
>>
>>2065475
you guys realize this is a grindhouse silly action flick right? not every iteration of joker has to align with some edgy 16 year old's vision of a post nietzschean world.
>>
>>2067466
But that's exactly what the design indicates, you oblivious faggot.
>>
Remove his tattoos, give him green clothes and a hat. The perfect Riddler
>>
Did they hire Tameem?
>>
>>2065547
>If it wasn't for the tattoos he'd be perfect.
The tattoos say ha ha ha because he's the joker, get it? Jokoes make you laugh like ha ha. He's the joker.
>>
File: TheJokeMongler.png (201 KB, 300x448) Image search: [Google]
TheJokeMongler.png
201 KB, 300x448
I'd actually go watch it if this was real.
>>
>>2065620
I think it's meant to imply he tattooed himself... some how...
>>
>>2067997
I think it's a way of keeping some purple in the costume while keeping Jared shirtless.
>>
>>2068076
I sure hope they end up giving him a purple snapback.
>>
This joker seems likes he's so aware of how crazy he is to the point of it pretty much just being an act for attention.
>>
joker doesnt have tattoos what the fuck also his body looks too clean he is supposed to be filled with bullet holes and burn marks
>>
>>2067104
Isn't Alex Ross a million years old?
>>
>>2065866
fucking gold
>>
>2065717

>Also, he looks like a faggy my chemical romance band member or just a drug junky. Wouldn't take him seriously.

Yeah he does look like he was once part of a 90s emo band

...Oh wait
>>
>>2065475
> WHAT IF I WANTED TO BREAK
>>
>>2067104

he literally draws everything from pictures. I was a bit disappointed after seeing he just creates photographs in his studio and draw them. even though he surely still can do great sketches, it's a bit disapointing.
>>
>>2068604
it shouldn't disappoint you that he knows how to effectively use a reference.
>>
>>2068607

not that anon, but it is almost always disappointing to me when I find out an artist relies heavily on reference for their work, it's so much less impressive than work of a similar quality done from imagination. I understand that these guys are working to a deadline but when 90% of the work is done by the camera you're not really "referencing" it any more, it's more like the painting is based on the photograph and that IS much less impressive and therefore disappointing and I don't think it's wrong to feel that way either.
>>
>>2067282
top kek
>>
File: zLjtLdr.jpg (325 KB, 1280x1592) Image search: [Google]
zLjtLdr.jpg
325 KB, 1280x1592
>>2068525

He painted Marvels when he was 24. He started on Loomis when he was 14, maybe even younger.

>>2068604

He actually deviates from the photos and there are a lot of things he obviously can't photograph. It's not like he stages the entire scene in real life, photographs it and traces the photo.
>>
>>2068604
I've often speculated if this is why so much superhero art looks so incredibly static. A lot of it looks like they've copied really shitty actors posing dramatically, but unconvincingly. A photograph of an action taking place never looks the same as someone posing for the same action, and a lot of superhero art looks like the latter.
>>
>>2069250
No, it's more like drawing action poses that look active is very difficult.
>>
>>2069250

Most superhero art is used without reference to avoid that exact problem and artists like Ross are commonly criticized for looking stiff.
>>
This may be off topic, but is the whole black/female/tranny superhero fad only a Marvel thing? I haven't heard of Superman or Batman being reassigned yet.
>>
>>2065475
Is it just me or Leto without a beard always looks really girly?
The only reason he looks masculine in movies is the makeup and there's still always something off about him.
There were pics of him from when he was doing Dallas Buyers Club without all that stage makeup on and he literally looked like a really skinny woman, kinda like Isabelle Carro. Maybe it's the eyes, I don't know.

Either way I liked the design itself, but he doesn't look much like Joker, he looks like some emo band frontman. It feels out of character.
>>
>>2069267
Considering Marvel likes to pander and rely on shock to get consumer interest (that part is actually confirmed, but I can't remember where the source was), it largely is.
>>
>>2065866
This shit is brazy
>>
>>2069271
I think it's just his personality. I've looked at pictures of him, and he's obviously a handsome guy. But as you say, there's something off about him. Some feminine quality that offsets his looks.

He seems like a perfectly decent guy in the interviews I've seen with him, but I just don't like him.
>>
File: leaked-leto.jpg (19 KB, 575x432) Image search: [Google]
leaked-leto.jpg
19 KB, 575x432
>>2069271
I think so too. I thought the leaked pic related was Harley Quinn at first.
>>
>>2065751

Last time I saw him he was doing songs with Avril Lavigne.

So no.
>>
>>2066879
I was fine with Ledger's Joker mostly because he seemed more like a super performance artist fucking with everyone rather than a psychopath, including the high school philosophy ideals he stood up for.
Also, he didn't even looked like a hobo, either, it's just that his face was so crap that it brought down everything else.

On Leto's, it's so fake that it just turns out unmenacing.
All we could hope for it is that it goes like DOFP's Quicksilver and you need to see it in movement to stop looking like shit.

>>2067001
I thought Ledger's Joker was pretty smooth.
But again, that fucking head.
>>
>>2069741
wait so avril lavigne isn't cool anymore?
>>
>>2069762
She was cool, and my 3dpd waifu, until My Happy Ending.
She went to shit afterwards.
Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.