[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to draw something that truly does not exist?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: kandinsky.comp-8.jpg (140 KB, 1090x755) Image search: [Google]
kandinsky.comp-8.jpg
140 KB, 1090x755
Is it possible to draw something that truly does not exist?

something with zero ties to our world, that borrows nothing from this reality?
>>
>>2295692
wtf are you on holy fuck, quit drugs bud.
>>
No. Even the randomness is influenced by previous images archived in the brain. Is you put a baby trying to draw, the only gonna make what he has seen so far, if you put a fetus trying to draw, he didn't draw anything, because he knows nothing, but if you put a blind man to try to draw, he can do it himself, and his drawings will be guided by perceptions it receives from the other direction (basically touch and sound)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1IY6plQKGI
>>
File: quarthex.gif (24 KB, 468x482) Image search: [Google]
quarthex.gif
24 KB, 468x482
>>2295692
Yo, man, like, whoa

I don't think it's possible to draw something that's literally imperceptible to humans.
If you want, you could try to draw the 'strings' from string theory. iirc, strings are essentially 'rolled-up' dimensions that make no sense and essentially can't be explained visually.

Anything you try to draw, no matter how simplistic, or complex, or abstract, can always be related to something that exists.
While the picture you have posted here probably doesn't quite exemplify what you're trying to get across exactly, any conscious human is going to be able to recognize any number of shapes or lines in that painting.

I don't think it's possible, but go ahead and try, if you like.
>>
Even if you could that's a stupid goal.
>>
>>2295692
yes, you just need to paint a painting with your eyes closed and everybody who will ever examine it/its reproducion would have the have their eyes closed as well
>>
I used to think "what if there is a color we can't see" and then I started doing drugs and realized how retarded that sounds.
>>
>>2295710
>Even the randomness is influenced by previous images archived in the brain.
It doesnt have to be. Look at how john cage composed some of his songs with random numbers. You could roll a dice. Or write an algorithm in the computer. Of course the creation of the system would be influenced by existing things, but you wouldn't reference to a screwdrivers influences when you talk about a designer chair. I think the product could be something truly new and previously non existent (but yeah, the real question is "why?")
>>
>>2295774
The emergent mathematical concepts would be previously existent.
>>
>>2295774
So I looked up John Cage
I don't fucking get it
>>
>>2296685
dont worry, its art. you dont need to 'get' anthing
>>
File: Screenshot_2.png (638 KB, 451x621) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2.png
638 KB, 451x621
>>2295692
>>
>>2296690
I get it even less now!
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.