[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Animation; is 3D easier to make than 2D or is it the other way around?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: castlevania concept art.jpg (113 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
castlevania concept art.jpg
113 KB, 1200x675
i'm interested in and have a lot of stories i want to tell with an animated medium but i don't know which one type would be more practical and fruitful for someone like me (i'm a one man operation so i can't tell stories through film because you need actors) which would be easier to learn and execute? i have a hunch that 3D is the answer but i would like an opinion from /ic/
>>
File: wot.png (39 KB, 645x564) Image search: [Google]
wot.png
39 KB, 645x564
The fundamentals of both are the exact same, a good 2D animator will always be a good 3D animator and vice versa. The only real difference comes from the workflow.

3D has the advantage of being shitloads faster to animate. But you have to commit a large amount of time to making your characters,rigs backgrounds etc. Plus you'll need to learn the programs, and that takes a while.

On the other hand 2D lets you pretty much start at the final step and get to animating real quick. But 2D takes so so so much more time and effort.

In the long run 3D is miles more efficient, and by the sounds of it that's what you want. But keep in mind it's got a fairly high barrier to entry.
>>
It really depends on how you approach 3d vs 2d. You can make quick and dirty cartoons in 2d using flash or just Rock and Bullwinkle style cartoons and churn them out super fast. Or if you take your time you can make super quality stuff. Stuff that would take you years in 3d. Morphing shapes, stretching expressions or just just drawing fabric realistically works way better in 2d than simulations in 3d.
3d has the advantage of being consistent. Your character will remain the same no matter the angle. you wont have to worry so much about perspective or anatomy while animating only while making the rig.
if you have experience in neither I would recommend taking an art class to understand the fundamentals. They help
>>
>>2575036
I'm also interested in making animation, but I'm leaning towards 2D. Basically, 3D has an advantage if you're going to use the models you make frequently, like for a series or a long film. If you're going to make short stories with different background and different characters, 2D will save you time. Especially if you make a library of basic items, that you can use in any video.
>>
>>2575120
>>2575262

i thank all of you both for the input and you helped influence my choice

>>2576799
the thing is i kinda want to do both, make a long series and smaller shorts. To be honest i'm leaning towards 3D not only because of the animation style and workflow but because the software i want to use is Blender and i want to master every aspect of it because 3D animation isn't my only pursuit.
>>
>>2577713
well nobody will care if you use blender if youre good enough because in the end it doesnt matter much but if youre a mediocre animator and your portfolio wont say maya youre fucked
>>
>>2575120
I wouldnt say "vise versa"

I know a ton of 3d animators who cannot draw.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.